+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio;4140764;
    Just watched the Changeling w/ Angelina Jolie. It got off to a slow start but I really liked it. A great story that touched on many different topics (LAPD corruption, serial killer, women's rights, mental institutions, etc.) I was completely engrossed. Thumbs up on this DVD!
    While I think Angelina Jolie is an adequate, but not a great, actress, I agree that this movie was very engrossing and I concur with your thumbs up. I also loved seeing Jeffrey Donovan (Burn Notice) playing such a believable and totally evil character.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Dinner for Schmucks - I didn't hate it, but I can't recommend it either. I think my biggest problem with it was that Steve Carell's character was supposed to be annoying, but I found him SO annoying that I was having a hard time feeling bad for him and sympathizing with the bad stuff he had been through.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;4143508;
    Dinner for Schmucks - I didn't hate it, but I can't recommend it either. I think my biggest problem with it was that Steve Carell's character was supposed to be annoying, but I found him SO annoying that I was having a hard time feeling bad for him and sympathizing with the bad stuff he had been through.
    Saw this tonight... I can count on one hand how many times I somewhat laughed. This could have been really good, but fell really flat. Very disappointed.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

Going the Distance - This one was a big meh. It was about a couple who ends up in a long distance relationship. In the beginning when they were getting to know each other it was rather endearing, but the long distance back and forth went on so long that it started losing me. I did really like Jim Gaffigan as the brother-in-law. The other minor annoyance was overuse of the f- word. Gratuitously using this word does not make characters young and hip.

Never too old to Twinkle! AZChristian's Avatar

We watched Mystic River last night. Must admit that I had to go to IMDB because I didn't understand the end of it at all. Found out that I'm not the only one that had that problem.

AZ,

You need to read the book. It was, IMO, one of Dennis Lehane's best.
    I really enjoyed the movie, too, though.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

How To Train Your Dragon - I loved its wry humor, though the message was like a Viking club to the head.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Never too old to Twinkle! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4147078;
    AZ,

You need to read the book. It was, IMO, one of Dennis Lehane's best.
    I really enjoyed the movie, too, though.
    Thanks . . . I have requested it be sent to our local branch of the library from one of the other branches. Folks on IMDB said the same thing.

The A-Team - My husband is a HUGE fan of the original television show and I enjoy it also. Unfortunately, neither of us cared for the movie. I watched the whole thing, but he only made it about halfway through. My problem was mostly with the differences in the characters. Hannibal was pretty true to the original character. Face in the original show was always dressed to "the nines" and always seemed a little out of place with what they were doing - it seemed like the only aspect they kept true to the original was that he was a ladies man. Mr. T, well I'm not sure you could find someone to really replace him but in the movie he was just too...conversational. Murdoch wasn't bad, but we didn't really see enough of him. Some of the special effects felt like someone wanted to do this cool thing just because they can with current technology. I was surprised at the high rating on Netflix, but I can imagine it would have been more enjoyable if I wasn't comparing it too the original show.

The Other Guys - This was a case of reversed expectations. I went in with really low expectations based on the low netflix review, but I actually didn't think it was too bad. It had some moments of crude humor that robably weren't necessary and had a few laughs. Definitely on the best or smartest "buddy cop" movie out there, but not completely terrible for an evening of mindless entertainment. I would recommend going in with low expectations though, I think it made the difference for me!

I've been renting some classics lately, and this weekend I watched Ordinary People for the first time in years. It is as engrossing now as it was back in 1980. Directed by Redford, and starring Tim Hutton, Donald Sutherland, and Mary Tyler Moore. I had forgotten some of the fantastic supporting cast, such as Judd Hirsch, M Emmett Walsh, James B. Sikking, Dinah Manoff, Elizabeth McGovern (now in Downton Abbey), and a teenage Adam Baldwin!
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread