+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd;3952363;
    Wolfman was a typical werewolf movie, graced by Anthony Hopkins and Benecio Del Toro, both of which were too good for this movie. Decent effects, but I honestly didn't care for the look of the werewolves. They were more of a classic 50's style with the human-looking face, where I prefer a more wolf-like look.
    Yes, I have werewolf preferences.
    waywyrd - My take on that was that the filmmakers were purposefully making an homage film in the style of the older werewolf movies before the heavily CGI-ed wolves of today became popular. I thought the entire movie sort of had that look and feel to it and I liked it but somehow they didn't quite pull it off.

The hubs and I are getting into True Blood now too and watching back eps on On-Demand. Even though we're starting with the 2nd season (S1 not available OnDemand), we're totally sucked (hah!) in and favoring it over movies.

She's Out of My League - Had a few funny moments. Overall it was quite formulaic and there weren't any surprises.
    The lead male actor in this film is Jay Baruchel. He happens to be the guy who did the voice of Hiccup in How to Train Your Dragon. His voice grated on my nerves when I watched that movie and I was only a few seconds into this film before I realized it was the same actor and I was going to have the same issues with his voice. I find his voice extremely nasally and monotone and it tends to leave me with the impression that he doesn't have much personality. However, I seemed to be the only one who noticed with both of these movies, so it might just be me!

FORT Fogey

Munich -- The story of the aftermath of the massacre of the Israeli Olympic athletes in Berlin. Lead actor is Eric Bana who gives an excellent performance. Directed by Steven Spielberg. Released in 2005.

This is a violence-ridden movie which to my mind proves there will never be peace between the Israelis and the Palestinians. How sad that is.

State of Play - fantastic mystery/thriller with Russell Crowe, Ben Affleck, Rachel McAdams and Helen Mirren. I love Russell Crowe, so I would have watched it regardless, but it was really a good movie. I'm surprised it didn't get more attention in theaters. My only issue was that Ben Affleck was supposed to be a college friend of Russell Crowe and be married to Robin Wright-Penn and he's just way too young-looking. I like him, but I kept thinking Clive Owen would have been a better choice.

Valentines Day - Cute, frothy and fun. Not as good as Love Actually, but the actors were all appealing and there were even a few little surprises.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

It's Complicated - Good movie, had some funny stuff. The only part that annoyed me was the gathering of women who were friends with the main character after she started the affair with her ex. I think it was supposed to be funny that they were all encouraging her and bashing the younger wife, but I just don't see the humor in adultery. I appreciated the whole film more as the characters got to be more developed and you could get a feel for all sides of the story. I liked that in the end the characters weren't set up as "good vs bad" - they were all flawed people who (for the most part) were trying to do the right thing and find some happiness.

I've had A Single Man sitting here for well over a month and FINALLY watched it a few days ago. I'm so glad I did! I knew it would be a gorgeous film, since Tom Ford directed it, and I was right. The cinematography, the camera angles, the wardrobe, the music...it was all stunning. It wasn't just good visually though, the acting was terrific too. I've been a Colin Firth fan for a long time and I'm so happy he's getting more recognition. It's an unusual film - sort of a stream-of-consciousness - but very worthwhile.

Also watched The Bounty Hunter with Jen Aniston and Gerry Butler. Formulaic romantic comedy. It was pleasant enough, but not great.

I just got Date Night, Dorian Grayand Cemetery Junction from Netflix. With all the darned reruns on TV this week, I'll be having at least one movie night!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Two little Indie gems I got from Netflix last week were Leaves of Grass with outstanding performances by Edward Norton and Tim Blake Nelson, also written and directed by Tim Blake Nelson. Great cameos by Richard Dreyfuss, Susan Sarandon, and Ty Burrell.

The other one was The Good Heart with the amazing Brian Cox being amazing. While I found the twist ending predictable, the journey was well worth it.

Disappointing was Helen with Ashley Judd doing her familiar crazy lady role. I found this film morbid and a chore to watch. Another totally predictable ending, but this one was not worth it.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Oh, I should have known better, but I rented Knowing anyway. Surprisingly, I enjoyed the first half - in spite of Nic Cage - but once it got near the end and they threw in the lame "aliens did it!" explanation, they lost me. What a cop out.

Also watched Clash of the Titans, the new version. I won't say it was a total waste of time, but it wasn't all that. At least the effects were better than the original cheesefest.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

I had an odd little film festival the other night. First, I watched Cemetery Junction, a little coming-of-age film directed by Ricky Gervais. It wasn't groundbreaking or anything, but the lead actor - Christian Cooke - is a star. He starred in a show for BBC called Demons and I thought then that he was terrific. The best thing about the movie though, was the blooper reel and hearing Ricky Gervais laughing hysterically when anyone goofed up. Love him.

I also watched Date Night, which was just "meh." I really like Tina Fey and Steve Carrell, but the movie sort of went nowhere. It felt like a bad remake of Adventures in Babysitting only this time, the parents were running around the city.

I finished up with Dorian Grey starring Ben Barnes in the title role. I'm embarrassed to say I've never read the Oscar Wilde book, but I did enjoy the film. Fans of the Ben Barnes from the Narnia movies shouldn't rent this thinking they'll get more of that. This is a pretty amoral character and there's lots of sex and drugs and it's a bit frightening as well. I thought it was well done and I'll watch anything with Colin Firth

Robin Hood - This is the newer one with Russell Crowe. I didn't really know what to expect from this film, but I ended up really enjoying it!! It is more gritty and grounded in the time period than past Robin Hood movies. I totally bought the chemistry between Russell Crowe and Cate Blanchett and thought they did a great job. There were also some nice moments of humor and camaraderie. It was definitely brutal, but in keeping with the time period.

The Girl Who Played with Fire - I enjoyed this one much more than The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. While I realize that Lisbeth is supposed to be withdrawn and distant, she is also passionate and has moments where she is happy. I didn't see any of that in the first film, but definitely saw it in this one. The one thing that continues to annoy me just a bit is the relationship between Lisbeth and Mikael. At the end of the first book she was falling for him and we didn't see that in the movie version at all. In this novel, she sends the majority of the book completely ticked off to the point that she nearly always refers to him as "f***ing Blomkvist". Since we never got the endearment in the first movie, we also don't get the anger in this one. She seems to just view him in a mildly amused manner. In the big picture this was a fairly minor detail because I thought this film was very well done and enjoyable to watch. For people with kids at home, this one (like the first) definitely deserved its R rating.

+ Reply to Thread