+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

JUst saw the Blind Side.
    What a good movie.
    Sandra deserved the award for it.
    And, I loved Big Mike, as well as the kid who played the young boy in the family.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

I'm behind. Just saw The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, The Lovely Bones, and Dreamkeeper. All very good!

I caught up on some Netflix tonight.

An Education - Very well made, great acting, interesting story. I definitely recommend this one! Interesting thatif the same story had been filmed in a modern setting I would have been completely grossed out by the "older man" and disgusted by the naieve parents. The fact that it was the early 60s somehow made it seem more "innocent".

Nine - This is the musical with lots of big names. I got about 35 minutes in and I just couldn't take anymore. I will not finish watching this one, it was awful.

The Stoning of Soraya M - Very well done. Excellent acting. VERY difficult to watch. It is based on a true story about a woman in Iran whose husband wants a divorce. When she refuses to agree to his terms he accuses her of adultery. After watching this film I am even more horrified that there are places in the world that still use this form of "justice". The aunt of the title character is played by Shohreh Aghdashloo, who I think is a wonderful actress. I've seen her in a ton of stuff, but I still had to look up her name!!

Valkyrie - This was a good movie with an excellent all-star cast. The scenery, costuming and direction were all very well done. It manages to convey a sense of tension and suspense even though we all know what the ultimate outcome is. I thought Tom Cruise was very good in an understated performance. He does a very good job of getting into the character and working within the ensemble cast. It's not like you sit there thinking "oh I'm watching Tom Cruise in this movie" If you are a war or history buff, I'd definitely recommend this film.

Quote Originally Posted by BritLit;3932926;
    I've rented two movies from Netflix recently that were new Warner Home Video Releases (Sherlock Holmes and Edge of Darkness). Both had been set up so that you have no option but to go through 15 minutes of advertising (ad for Warner Blue-Ray video players and anti smoking followed by previews for forty-eleven movies you've never heard of). Nothing works to get around them: not clicking on Root Menu, or Fast-Forwarding. I just talked to Netflix, and they admitted it's part of their new arrangement with Warner. I call it a deal with the devil.

OMG I workout with Jillian Michaels 30day shred and have to wait through all the crap every single day. I haven't noticed if its Warner but it's is truly terrible.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Shutter Island - I knew the premise going in and I only figured out part of the twist before the end, but overall I was disappointed. It was slow moving and I was expecting it to be scarier, or at least more suspenseful.

MRD

Book of Eli. Thought it was ok. Could have been better. I want to know why all the strangers had to show their hands to be deemed "Ok"??

Personally I thought it was a rip off of the Mad Max movies and a weak, watered down version of The Stand.

And why is it that in all these kinds of movies, they don't have food, but they always, always, always have fuel for the vehicles?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3952301;
    And why is it that in all these kinds of movies, they don't have food, but they always, always, always have fuel for the vehicles?
    That's a good question.

We watched Daybreakers and Wolfman this week. Daybreakers was interesting, a different take on the vampire genre where human numbers are dwindling and the vamps are going hungry, and turn to "farming" humans for blood. I liked it in spite of Ethan Hawke...never have cared for him.

Wolfman was a typical werewolf movie, graced by Anthony Hopkins and Benecio Del Toro, both of which were too good for this movie. Decent effects, but I honestly didn't care for the look of the werewolves. They were more of a classic 50's style with the human-looking face, where I prefer a more wolf-like look.

Yes, I have werewolf preferences.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I watched The Cove today. It wasn't as gory as I feared--it was more, as the one guy says, an Ocean's 11 type of story. But, damn, it was heartbreaking.

I'm now into Netfilxing season 1 of True Blood so it'll be a while until I get another movie. I'm letting my knowledge of the books and the insanity of the accents pass and just trying to enjoy the story. We'll see how that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;3953151;
    I'm now into Netfilxing season 1 of True Blood so it'll be a while until I get another movie. I'm letting my knowledge of the books and the insanity of the accents pass and just trying to enjoy the story. We'll see how that goes.
    That's the best way to approach it. The first season follows the books a bit more closely than the second, but I just look at them as separate things. I love the show and I love the books and I just accept them for what they are.....mostly

This week, I watched Whip It and really liked it. Good acting and a nice girl power message. Drew Barrymore was a bit too over-the-top and thought it was maybe because she was directing too and didn't have the focus needed to act in the movie as well. Still, a definite

I also watched Ghost Town and was pleasantly surprised. I expected it to be a little more comedy and it was funny, but it was very touching too. I love Ricky Gervais, so I'll see anything he's in. I really liked this one.

I just got Valentine's Day and Invictus from Netflix, and I'm looking forward to both of them.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread