+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd;3927235;
    Why on earth is Netflix so slow in getting you new movies? Five months - that would drive me nuts.
    It doesn't happen often. I think with some movies the demand must be higher than they expect and they don't end up with enough copies. I can't remember another movie I had to wait for as long as I waited for Inglorious Bastards.

I always thought waiting for movies would drive me crazy too, but it really doesn't. If I am really dying to see a movie I can buy it, or I can time returning one of my other movies so I am pretty much guaranteed to get it from Netflix the day it first becomes available.

Just rented the Blind Side, I loved it! What made it even better was knowing it was a true story.

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

I finally was able to see The Blind Side and Avatar. Loved Blind Side. Liked Avatar. I can see, though, that when people saw it in 3D, it must have been stunning. The story has been done before - extreme evil vs. an unwilling hero - and while I wouldn't call it a Space Western, it came close. What is staying with me are the visuals, which is, I guess what movies are all about; other than the story, of course.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I've rented two movies from Netflix recently that were new Warner Home Video Releases (Sherlock Holmes and Edge of Darkness). Both had been set up so that you have no option but to go through 15 minutes of advertising (ad for Warner Blue-Ray video players and anti smoking followed by previews for forty-eleven movies you've never heard of). Nothing works to get around them: not clicking on Root Menu, or Fast-Forwarding. I just talked to Netflix, and they admitted it's part of their new arrangement with Warner. I call it a deal with the devil.
    Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment. --Dorothy Parker

I broke down and finally saw Avatar... The visuals were the best part in my opinion. The story has been done before and the acting, I felt, was lacking. I cannot believe this movie was nominated for Academy Awards in anything other then Visual effects. I guess I just don't get the whole love fest for James Cameron.

Lars and the Real Girl - FANTASTIC!!! Who knew a movie about an "adult doll" would be sweet? Ryan Gosling acted his butt off... Highly recommend it.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BritLit;3932926;
    I've rented two movies from Netflix recently that were new Warner Home Video Releases (Sherlock Holmes and Edge of Darkness). Both had been set up so that you have no option but to go through 15 minutes of advertising (ad for Warner Blue-Ray video players and anti smoking followed by previews for forty-eleven movies you've never heard of). Nothing works to get around them: not clicking on Root Menu, or Fast-Forwarding. I just talked to Netflix, and they admitted it's part of their new arrangement with Warner. I call it a deal with the devil.
    That's interesting because I rented Sherlock Holmes through Netflix a few weeks ago and I didn't notice this. I wonder if it was one of those times that I popped the DVD in and went to the kitchen to grab dinner and when I came back it had gotten to the main menu...? If this is part of their agreement with Warner then I am just getting more and MORE annoyed with it. Not only do we now have to wait a month to get these releases, we are also "required" to watch 15 minutes of advertising!? This "deal" just feels like it gets worse and worse for us, the end customers! I, for one, will NOT sit around and watch this advertising. Instead I will pay attention to whether a DVD is a Warner release and make sure I put it in ahead of time so that it is past all that garbage before I sit down to watch!!

[I am done ranting now ]

I HATE it when I rent a DVD and can't ff through the ads and previews! I'll actually just put the DVD in, mute it and go do something else while it runs. It really is to the detriment of Warner because I won't watch the movie a second time or rent it a second time because I find it so annoying.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3933058;
    I HATE it when I rent a DVD and can't ff through the ads and previews! I'll actually just put the DVD in, mute it and go do something else while it runs. It really is to the detriment of Warner because I won't watch the movie a second time or rent it a second time because I find it so annoying.
    I totally agree. I won't even consider purchasing a DVD when the rental does this, even if I had thought about doing so. I usually just click back and watch a little tv while the DVD is cycling through this junk.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

So it isn't just me. I noticed it in a couple of movies I rented recently and like you all, I gave up and did something else until it got to the main menu. Thank goodness it stops at the main menu for a period of time.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I finally rented "Up in the Air" over the weekend and I really enjoyed it. I'm not a huge George Clooney fan but it was pretty light and it held my attention (which isn't always the easiest thing).

+ Reply to Thread