+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3908718;
    The Young Victoria - I really enjoyed this. Sweet story, very good acting, a pleasure to watch!
    When we saw this in the theater, I was disappointed when it ended. I wanted it to go on . . . really a lovely movie.

The last movies we rented were "Up In The Air" & "Law Abiding Citizen". Neither one were really that good in my opinion.
    ~Supernatural Addict~

Just watched Flame and Citron, an incredibly beautiful and haunting Danish film (subtitled) based on the two most famous Danish resistance fighters during the German occupation of Denmark during World War II. The acting, story and cinematography are superb.
    Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment. --Dorothy Parker

You and I definitely have similar taste in movies, Brit! I just put that one in my queue

After waiting for FIVE months, I finally got Inglourious Basterds a few days ago. Seriously, it was number 1 in my queue for that long. It sort of became a joke among my friends - one even said she almost went out and bought it for me because it's now on sale....that's how long it's been on video!

Anyway, I'm generally a Tarantino fan, so I knew I'd like it, but I really did enjoy it. Not nearly as bloody as Pulp Fiction - I had to watch some of that from between my fingers! I thought it was funny and smart and really beautifully shot. The cinematography was fantastic. Brad Pitt was terrific, as was, of course, Christoph Waltz and everyone else. A definite
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Finally saw Avatar. It finally became available for online rental vs. online purchase only.

I really liked it! I didn't think I would, at all. I hated Titanic, pretty much. I felt it was a ripoff of better films on that topic. But Avatar's basic storyline struck me as more classic than derivative.

Loved the actors. I thought Wes Studi a brilliant choice for the tribal leader. The female lead (love interest) was very good. Voice acting isn't easy! And the animation - outstanding, especially the animation of the Na'vi. Such subtle facial expressions, it didn't seem like animation at all. Honestly, if there was such a thing as animated Academy award for best actress, I thought Zoe Saldana should've won it.

The writing was not bad, either. I had expected it to be an effects-heavy mess, but I was pleasantly surprised. Plus it was just entertaining - and I really needed diversion. So, two thumbs up here!

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I watched St. Trinian's tonight. It's about a bunch of misfit girls at an all-girls English prep school. It is essentially a comedy/heist story, and if you're a Colin Firth nerd like me, it's a must-see. I'm sure I missed all the references to his movies and he gamely flirts with Rupert Everett's headmistress (he plays a woman and her brother too) throughout. I just saw there was a sequel on imdb, so I'm adding that to my netflix.

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist - Love love loved it. Great music. Reminded me of my teenage years in NYC.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies;3883250;
    I found another small movie to love: The Ramen Girl. It is a poignant story of a girl stranded in Tokyo, who always fails at everything she tries yet the sensual pleasure of a bowl of Ramen in a small shop speaks to her. A happy ending with terrific writing and wonderful characters.
    I just watched this one today and loved it too! I've never been a big fan of Brittany Murphy, although I've liked her in a few things. She was so vulnerable and charming in this. A really sweet story. Plus, the male romantic lead was pretty dreamy, which doesn't hurt!

I also watched The Face is Familiar, which is a documentary done by Starz about character actors. Various character actors, casting directors and other people in show business are interviewed, including Joan Cusack, Michael Madsen, Danny Trejo. Luis Guzman, Steven Tobolowski, Jane Lynch and Missi Pyle. Really enjoyable

Last night I watched Play the Game, a romantic comedy about a young guy who is a bit of a player, who tries to instruct his widowed grandfather (played by Andy Griffith) on the art of picking up women. In the end, the grandson meets a woman he thinks is The One and he needs his grandfather's help in winning her without playing games. Not for the squeamish, because there's a lot of talk about sex....and it's coming from Andy Griffith, so it might be a bit damaging to your psyche if you grew up watching him on TV! It had a very clever ending that sort of made the movie for me.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy;3917881;
    And the animation - outstanding, especially the animation of the Na'vi. Such subtle facial expressions, it didn't seem like animation at all.
    I heard they actually invented a new way to do the animation for this film. A bit I saw about it looked like the actors actually did physically act out a lot of the action and the sensors on their bodies allowed them to animate their actual movement.

Transformers - Revenge of the Fallen - It was reallllllllly long. The story did NOT justify the length. There were also HUGE holes in the plot that were never explained. I also found the action hard to follow, but I had the same problem with the first one.

Orphan - I started watching this and the first scene was
    so ridiculously gory (and actually rather offensive), that I turned it off. I had absolutely no desire to watch the rest.

John Waters: This Filthy World - John Waters in his one man show in NYC. He tells tons of stories about his career and growing up. A definite must for all JW fans His shoplifting stories alone make it worth watching!

Helvetica - a documentary about the proliferation of the font in world culture. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone interested in pop culture or graphic design. Once you watch it, you'll see Helvetica everywhere! I had jury duty today and almost every sign in the courthouse was in Helvetica.

Goya's Ghosts - I wasn't prepared to like this as much as I did. Stellan Skarsgard as Francisco Goya, Javier Bardem as a Spanish priest during the Spanish Inquisition and Natalie Portman as a link between the two of them. Beautiful art, but also horrifying and heartbreaking events. Just so much senseless death in the name of religion. It's definitely not an "up with people" kind of movie, but Milos Forman directed, so it's really well done.

+ Reply to Thread