+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

I rarely do this, but I actually turned off Queen Margot about an hour and a half in. Maybe I was just in the wrong frame of mind for it, but I couldn't take any more violence and blood. I love Isabelle Adjani, Daniel Auteuil and Vicent Perez (), but I just couldn't get into this one. Bummer
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I rented The Lovely Bones a few weeks ago. I like it better than most other people. It was no more explicit than Criminal Minds or CSI on tv. Parts were frustrating, but I liked it for the most part.

What do you all think of Up in the Air? I love Clooney, but the movie seems boring to me. I usually don't like romantic comedies. Is it any good?
    I want to rent It's Complicated too. I have read here that it's great. Which is better? I like smart romantic comedies, but not the stupid kind.

I read the thread on the movie, but would appreciate more input.

Enchanted: I had heard this was enjoyable & have been meaning to rent it for a while. I looked all over in the not-new-releases section. I tried Comedies, Musicals, even Dramas out of desperation & couldn't find it, so I asked a clerk who promptly lead me to the Children's Movies. I felt pretty foolish. About that time I thought "What am I doing? Am I wasting my time & money on some silly show designed for a 4 year old?"
    I LOVED IT!! It really was downright enchanting. The story was fun & different & really well done. It really was a family movie that would be entertaining & fun for any age. You don't see many movies like that anymore.
    Three thumbs up.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Ooooh man there are SO many movies that I have on my list to see from last year still.. It feels like I'll never catch up and this thread makes me feel like there are many more that I'm missing!

Watched Sherlock Holmes tonight. I really enjoyed it! I was worried when I heard that Guy Ritchie was involved, but this one didn't make me motion sick like some of his films. It definitely surpassed my expectations. I hope they keep the same key actors involved for the sequel (which they were quite obviously setting up for).

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;3898837;
    What do you all think of Up in the Air? I love Clooney, but the movie seems boring to me. I usually don't like romantic comedies. Is it any good?

I want to rent It's Complicated too. I have read here that it's great. Which is better? I like smart romantic comedies, but not the stupid kind.

I read the thread on the movie, but would appreciate more input.
    I really liked Up in the Air and It's Complicated, Debb. They are both really well written with character depth and insight. If I had to choose one, I'd go with It's Complicated because it's Meryl Streep and it has more of an overall positive spin, particularly for women, and I also thought more humor although both movies have a kind of bittersweet dramedy feel to them.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

I finally watched Sherlock Holmes yesterday and was pretty disappointed. I'm a Robert Downey Jr. fan, but he was practically unintelligible. I kept turning the sound up because I couldn't hear his mumbling and I'm generally pretty good with accents. I just couldn't get into it. I finished it, but was pretty non-plussed.

I also watched 17 Again with Zach Efron and Matthew Perry and was pleasantly surprised. I didn't expect much, but I liked it a lot. Zach Efron WAS Matthew Perry - he nailed him. Plus, as my friend's 7-year old daughter pointed out, he's cute.

Last night I watched Leap Year and really enjoyed it. It was totally predictable, as these movies always are, but I liked it anyway.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3906321;
    I finally watched Sherlock Holmes yesterday and was pretty disappointed. I'm a Robert Downey Jr. fan, but he was practically unintelligible. I kept turning the sound up because I couldn't hear his mumbling and I'm generally pretty good with accents. I just couldn't get into it. I finished it, but was pretty non-plussed.
    I agree about RDJ's accent. I pretty much kept the volume up throughout the movie for that reason! Jude Law was SO much easier to understand. Maybe RDJ just doesn't have a very good British accent and he covers by mumbling??

On the other hand, I really liked the job that RDJ and Jude Law did with their characters. I liked that Watson came off as the "responsible one" while Holmes was brilliant while still kind of erratic and uncontrollable. I also liked the scenery - I'm not always the biggest fan of CGI, but I thought they did an impressive job with the London backdrops in this film.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

My dog and I are having a "girls night only" this evening. We just bought a Wii and loaded up the Netflix option. So Summer and I watched "84 Charing Cross Road."

If you love old books, and you love London, and you love Anne Bancroft, and you LOOOOOOVVVVVVVEEEEEE Anthony Hopkins, this is the picture for you. Haven't watched it in so many years that I'd forgotten most of it, so it was like falling in love with it all over again.

Warning . . . I have a black belt in Facebook, and I'm not afraid to use it!

The Young Victoria - I really enjoyed this. Sweet story, very good acting, a pleasure
    to watch!

+ Reply to Thread