+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree182Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

I agree, 2012 was insanely over the top with the effects, but I did enjoy it overall just because I like end-of-the-world movies. Well, except for that recent stinker with Keanu Reeves. I hope poor John doesn't end up down the Nic Cage path, he's too good for that.

Watched Righteous Kill yesterday, with De Niro and Pacino. Sort of predictable, dark, cop gone bad story. Decent twist at the end. I heart Pacino, so I'll watch him in anything. But I still haven't forgiven De Niro for that Meet the Parents garbage.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

The Informant! - I first heard about this story on This American Life, so I had a general idea what the movie was about. It was promoted as a black comedy so I think a lot of people expected it to be funnier, but it completely met my expectations in that regard. It is based on a true story about a whistleblower that worked with the FBI to uncover price fixing at ADM (Archer Daniels Midland) in the early 90s. It is certainly not fast paced, but I enjoyed it. Matt Damon is genius in this role. He doesn't even look like himself and the bits where he is talking randomly to himself were fantastic!!

Nothing But The Truth is a drama that challenges a reporter's right to protect a source and the consequences of doing so. I usually need action to keep me in my seat, but this held me with its writing and characters. There is a surprise ending I didn't see coming and I gasped. Recommend.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Just watched The Young Victoria. I loved it. The first hour was a bit slower than I would have liked, but then it really kicked into gear. Emily Blunt is amazing, and Rupert Friend is smoldering. Paul Bettany also excellent as Lord Melbourne.

Saw Public Enemies with Johnny Depp last weekend. I love gangster movies, but this one was a dud. There are probably less than a hundred words of dialogue in the whole two hours, twenty minutes. Depp is good, as is Christian Bale as the fed chasing him, but it moved at the speed of cold molasses. And Marion Cotillard is badly miscast as a midwestern "gangster's moll."
    Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment. --Dorothy Parker

I found another small movie to love: The Ramen Girl. It is a poignant story of a girl stranded in Tokyo, who always fails at everything she tries yet the sensual pleasure of a bowl of Ramen in a small shop speaks to her. A happy ending with terrific writing and wonderful characters.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

2012 was waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long, and I kept trying to figure out who Gordon was. My most favourite John Cusack movie is Serendipity for some strange reason - although Ice Harvest was very very good.

Most recently I watched Orphan which was disturbing and creepy - just the way I like my movies.
    No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible. George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

A thoughtful small film that would work just as well on the stage: The Man From Earth. Friends from the college where he has taught the last ten years gather to give a colleague a farewell party and he tells them a tale about himself. Fact or Fiction drives the action as the scientists and philosophers ask questions and give opinions. It is a film that makes one ask their own questions.

While it is classified as Sci-Fi in the Netflix universe it isn't that but a very thought provoking ensemble film.

Avatar. Hated it. For me it was like Dances With Wolves (which I also hated), except the natives were blue. And with tails and some superhuman physical ability. AND, it went on forever. Maybe I needed to see it in 3D to appreciate it, but right now I'm glad I didn't spring for the cost of seeing it in the theatre. It was another 2012-type letdown for me.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3885780;
    Avatar. Hated it. For me it was like Dances With Wolves (which I also hated), except the natives were blue. And with tails and some superhuman physical ability. AND, it went on forever. Maybe I needed to see it in 3D to appreciate it, but right now I'm glad I didn't spring for the cost of seeing it in the theatre. It was another 2012-type letdown for me.
    I haven't seen it yet, but I'm not a big fan of James Cameron (still resent being emotionally manipulated by Titanic), so I'm not in any rush to see it. Somewhere online is a plot summary of Pocahontas with the character names crossed out and names from Avatar written in. Same plot.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I, too, hated Dances with Wolves because it drug on for so long. I have Avatar in my Netflix queue but it is listed as not being released until May 20, then I'm sure there will be a VERY long wait. I'm glad I don't have to get worked up about having to wait so long...maybe, as suggested, it is best seen in 3D as the characters and plot are tried, and sometimes, not so true.

+ Reply to Thread