+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

Last weekend I watched a beautiful movie entitled "The Visitor", starring Richard Jenkins (most of you would know him when you see him.. he's been in everything!)

Here's the quick synopsis:
    In Connecticut, the widower and lonely Professor Walter Vale has a boring life. He teaches only one class at the local college and is trying to learn how to play the piano, despite not having the necessary musical talent. Walter is assigned to attend a conference about Global Policy and Development at the New York University, where he is to give a lecture about a paper that he is coauthor on. When he arrives at his apartment in New York, he finds Tarek Khalil, a syrian musician, and Zainab, a Senegalese street vendor living there.
    What follows is a heart-breaking testimony of immigration in the US. This movie is decidedly NOT a happy, feel-good movie... but is a wonderful character development piece as you watch the emotional growth of Richard Jenkins' character as he finds his inner passion for music, life, and friendship.

I wouldn't recommend this for everyone, but it's a must see if you enjoy this type of movie.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Broadway, I just put that in my Netflix queue the other day! Thanks for the review!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I got Evening several weeks ago from Netflix and, when it came, remembered that Natasha Richardson is in it. I didn't know if I could watch it- I thought it might make me too sad. I finally watched it the other night and, remarkably, didn't cry when she was on screen. It was actually a lovely film and, hey, anything with Patrick Wilson in it is just fine with me Then I watched the behind the scenes documentary and Natasha talked about how this would be the only time she and her mother would be able to play mother and daughter and then = It's like one of those seemingly prophetical statements that the media pulls out after the person has died. So poignant.

I also watched The Making of Miss Saigon, which was just fabulous. It's one of my favorite musicals, but I never got to see it with the original Broadway cast. The film follows the entire process until the opening night. They focus on the audition process for the role of Kim quite a bit and then show the production as they rehearse and go through previews. All in all, really fantastic. A definite and must see for Broadway fans.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by BritLit;3864742;
    Just rented The Men Who Stare at Goats. I'm confident the next time there's a list of the "Top Ten Worst Films Ever" it will be right at the top. George Clooney,Kevin Spacey, Jeff Bridges and Ewan MacGregor should all sue to prevent it's being available for the public to view.
    I finally watched it this evening and I agree. Think I'm going to have to change out my sig line.

Even with your review I thought I would find a dark comedy with interesting satire, but all I found was slow attempts at both. There was a narrative line, but that is all the movie presented - a narrative broken up dumb stuff. I felt as though I had been tortured by the Barney Song throughout. WTF?
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Just watched Rent: Filmed Live on Broadway and really didn't like it as much as I'd hoped. This was the film of the last performance of the show on Broadway, so it wasn't the original cast. The performers weren't up to par, imo. Most of the voices weren't even in the same ballpark as the original cast, with a few exceptions. Even more than the voices though, these actors didn't seem to be listening to each other. They were just saying the lines, but not hearing and reacting. The actor playing Mark was particularly bad - just an okay voice and not really reacting to his co-stars. I also wasn't impressed with the actors playing Angel and Collins.

Of course, any Rent is better than nothing, but I was still disappointed. The movie version of the show from a few years ago was definitely not perfect, but the actors were miles better. It made me wish they'd filmed the original cast when they were still doing the show on Broadway.

On the other hand, Animal House: The Inside Story, about the making of the movie (filmed 30 years later) was actually pretty entertaining. I turned it on today for a second and ended up watching the whole thing. Everyone from the actors to the director to the costume designer were interviewed. There were lots of interesting little tidbits from behind the scenes. Definitely a

Two hours plus of my life I'll never get back watching 2012 (Didn't John Cusack do cool movies at one point? He's going to turn into Nicolas Cage.) Also saw Brothers - haven't seen Natalie Portman in many flicks but I thought she did a lovely job, and Tobey Maguire was good enough to make the husband & I stop making bad Spiderman jokes after about a 1/2 hour in. Overall, though, the film was kind of a downer. I wished we'd rented a comedy for afterwards.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3876044;
    Two hours plus of my life I'll never get back watching 2012 (Didn't John Cusack do cool movies at one point? He's going to turn into Nicolas Cage.)
    Seeing a trailer with John Cusack used to make me more inclined to see a movie. However, I think that all changed when I saw the first commercial for Hot Tub Time Machine!

I just watched the remake of Fame and I really wanted to like it more than I actually did. It just felt too much like a 2 hour music video. The director does NOT know how to shoot dance sequences and there was no depth to the WAY too pretty characters. I probably should have just watched my DVD of the original, which was far superior. I mean there's nothing better than Gene Anthony Ray as Leroy in the audition scene. I may have to go watch that right now!

I also was disenchanted with the Fame remake; I guess the original spoiled me.

I watched Up In The Air last evening and really liked it. It had a poignancy that only the older George Clooney can pull off these days. It did make me feel sad and weepy, though...not a good thing...but a good thing that the movie touched my emotions.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

The Men Who Stare at Goats - It had a few funny moments. However, the story was weird and I wasn't really sure where the story was going. The ending was terrible. Overall it wasn't really worth watching. I couldn't believe they got Kevin Spacey to play such an awful role.

2012 - It was waaaaaay longer than necessary. I felt like most of the destruction scenes were over-the-top and only done because they could. It felt like a whole bunch of other movies I have scene all mashed up into one. I know it's just a movie, but there were SO MANY things that made no sense and were SO far beyond the scope of reality (i.e., John Cusak disappears in the RV into a crack in the earth and SOMEHOW manages to get out, the cars in the cargo plane are chained to the floor one second and yet start flying out the back the next second, etc, etc, etc). I was waiting for it to be over long before it was close to the end.

+ Reply to Thread