+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

Just finished "The Private Lives of Pippa Lee" starring Robin Wright, Alan Arkin, Keanu Reeves, Winona Ryder, and a whole roster of great actors. Rebecca Miller directed.

A very quiet and introspective movie - an interesting character study of a woman at a crossroads in her life. Good performances all around. I found it totally by accident on Netflix.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

Quote Originally Posted by BritLit;3867102;
    An Education with Carey Mulligan, Peter Sarsgaard and Alfred Molina (also Rosamund Pike and Dominic Cooper). It was Superb!!! Mulligan so deserved the best Actress Oscar nomination she got for it. Screenplay by Nick Hornsby doesn't waste a moment, or a word.
    I watched this last night and I agree with you completely! It was fabulous! Carey Mulligan was just fantastic and ITA - she definitely deserved the Oscar nod. Everything about the movie, from the actors, to the script, to the costuming, to the cinematography was perfect. Definitely

Last night I also watched the filmed version of Stephen Sondheim's Passion, featuring the original Broadway cast, including the incredible Donna Murphy. I LOVE Sondheim and, although this isn't his best, imo, it was still wonderful. I've had the soundtrack for years and know the story, but it was great to see the original cast performing it.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

Thanks for the tip about An Education. I watched the teenage/action film, City of Ember. The two young leads were very good and Bill Murray as a venal City Mayor is not too overplayed. It deals with themes of trust and re-birth after some form of apocalypse has decimated the earth's surface. Out of all the movies I've seen in the past couple of weeks, this one stays with me.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

We just watched Inglorious Basterds last night. IDK why but I thought it was going to be a comedy but it wasn't yet DH & I REALLY liked it. I'd recommend it to any who haven't seen it.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

I watched Afghan Star the other day. It is a documentary about the Afghan version of American Idol. The catch is that the religious government views singing as sinful. The viewers are really into it, but have to hide their televisions at night in case the Taliban decide to come through and search their homes. I'm not a big fan of the middle eastern style of singing, but the talent was really a side-note to the main story. The double standard when dealing with men versus women was horrendous. They also compared the current environment to the past by showing video footage in Afghanistan from what looked to be the eighties. It was really sad to see what has become of this country. Overall it was an interesting film.

Rented New Moon last night from redbox. Still don't understand what the hype is all about. It was just an ok movie, really slow sometimes and barely kept my interest. I was just expecting so much more. Glad I only spent a dollar and didn't watch it in the movie theatre.

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lady;3872198;
    Rented New Moon last night from redbox. Still don't understand what the hype is all about. It was just an ok movie, really slow sometimes and barely kept my interest. I was just expecting so much more. Glad I only spent a dollar and didn't watch it in the movie theatre.
    Have you read the books? Some of my friends who hadn't read the books said it was slow to them as well... I thought New Moon stayed very true to the book, the book itself is very depressing in many parts. I didn't love the movie, but I give major props to the director to staying true to the book and not butchering the movie like Twilight was butchered.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Realitychick;3872881;
    Have you read the books? Some of my friends who hadn't read the books said it was slow to them as well... I thought New Moon stayed very true to the book, the book itself is very depressing in many parts. I didn't love the movie, but I give major props to the director to staying true to the book and not butchering the movie like Twilight was butchered.
    I enjoyed New Moon, but I agree that if you aren't a fan of the books it probably wouldn't have the same effect. For example, I thought the depth of Bella's sorrow when Edward left came across clearly in the book (even if the whole "I can't live without my man" subtext was less-than-PC). However, in the movie I thought the passing months was handled well but KStewart's screaming during the nightmares was just annoying. She was better in this movie, but I didn't think she was convincing in those scenes.

The Blind Side Rented it On Demand.

I knew I was going to love this as much as I did because the story is so uplifting. I gave the book to my husband for his birthday a few years ago after he had heard about this story on tv. He loved the book and would dicuss it with me so I knew the story before I saw the movie.

I thought Sandra Bulleck did a great job as well as the actor who played "Big Mike" ~ Michael.
    "I was raised to be charming, not sincere." ~Cinderella's Prince Charming ~ Into the Woods

Quote Originally Posted by Realitychick;3872881;
    No I haven't read the books.

+ Reply to Thread