+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

Just watched Frost Nixon. I can't even think of an adjective to say what a terrific film it is! Frank Langella IS Richard Nixon. I wasn't expecting to like it that much: stage plays to screen are often boring. Even knowing how it ends (in real life), I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. Michael Sheen is great as Frost; loved Oliver Platt in a smaller but crucial role as Bob Zelnick, a journalist who was one of Frost's researchers.
    Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment. --Dorothy Parker

How to Lose Friends and Alienate People - not rocket science, but I love Simon Pegg. Good supporting cast, including Jeff Bridges and GIllian Anderson. It kind of skewers the tragically hip show biz scene in NYC and LA, which is always good fun. Plus, you know, Simon Pegg My only beef was Kirsten Dunst ,who isn't a bad actress really, but I spent the entire movie wishing she'd brush her hair.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Curses for me getting Netflix again and listening to a plugged in movie pal! Okay, maybe not, but I watched Dear Zachary tonight and it was so terribly heartbreaking. Without giving spoilers away, it's about a couple's struggle to get custody of their grandson after their son is murdered by his pregnant girlfriend. On a film analysis only basis, it is an awesome documentary--really well done, self-aware, and the narrative is conveyed well, albeit in a not 100% linear style. But have some Kleenex next to you as you watch it. I don't EVER cry at movies and this one had me tearing up inside of 15 minutes.

Adventureland: I thought it was supposed to be funny? I guess I was amused from time to time.
    Mostly it was just drama and the Holy Awful K-Stew.
    A lot of nice not over the top stuff from the supporting characters.
    The "Friend" Oh what was his name? Frego? He cracked me up.
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

I watched Religulous. I found it pretty entertaining, just watching the look on Bill Maher's face was funny. I didn't like how he basically belittled people's beliefs though, I don't think it's necessary to make a joke out of someone who has an opposing view...no matter how far fetched it may seem to you.

I watched the Invention of Lying (I believe that's the title). It dragged quite a bit but there were some really funny parts. Once lying is invented, it starts to pick up a little bit more. Not sure I'd recommend it, but I thought it was ok. Jennifer Garner was adorable in it.

Post Grad..it was ok. Carol Burnett was hilarious! It was quirky and I like quirky, so....

Couples Retreat....everyone I talk to loved it but I thought it was just okay. There were some funny parts but some of it was just stupid.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo;3836533;
    I watched the Invention of Lying (I believe that's the title). It dragged quite a bit but there were some really funny parts. Once lying is invented, it starts to pick up a little bit more. Not sure I'd recommend it, but I thought it was ok. Jennifer Garner was adorable in it.
    I loved the first 5 minutes of it but the rest didn't live up. There were some good parts here and there and the characters were likable, except Rob Lowe's (lol). Its worth watching though.

I also saw The Invention of Lying this week. I actually liked it. I'm a big fan of Ricky Gervais and I like Jen Garner a lot too. It wasn't the funniest movie ever made, but I thought it was clever.

Also saw (finally) Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day and loved it. I did think Amy Adams was a bit over the top, but I still liked her. Plus, Frances McDormand and Ciaran Hinds - how can you go wrong. Also, you know, Lee Pace with a British accent

I finally saw District 9 too. I have friends who cautioned me against it - they actually walked out of the theater. I get why they left - they have weak stomachs and there were some pretty graphic images - but I thought it was great. So different and compelling. I knew the prawns were CGI, but the effects were so good that they looked real. Sometimes, special effects pull me out of the movie, but these were incredible. I was amazed that Sharlto Copley had never acted before. He did a great job. I totally get why it was nominated for Best Picture.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Extract. Much funnier than I had expected it to be!
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Good Hair - Documentary by Chris Rock, inspired when one of his young daughters asked him why she didn't have "good hair". Investigates what African American society views as preferred or desirable hair texture, and the lengths some people go to in order to attain "good hair". Interesting, but I was a little surprised that there more backlash against the ideal. He went and looked at the chemicals that go into lye relaxers and they are even harsher than I imagined (specifically, one of the main chemicals can dissolve a pop can in 4 hours! ) However, I'm not certain the everyday people were confronted with this info. They just kind of laughed off the scalp-burning nature of relaxers. And then they covered weaves. Oh my, I just cannot fathom spending thousands of dollars on hair. For celebrities, it may be trivial, but for the typical woman? It made me sad that they said there were women willing to skip the rent to pay for their weave.

Overall the film was interesting for those interested in the topic. Chris Rock kept it light and humorous.

American Teen - Another documentary. Picked a typical town in Indiana and selected a senior class at a specific high school and then focused on four students in that graduating class: the popular girl, the jock guy, the average girl, and the nerd guy...
    - The popular girl - she was such a "mean girl". They tried to make her sympathetic by talking about how much pressure she was under to get accepted to a certain college. However, IMO pressure does not excuse her vindictive behavior. She came from a well-to-do family and thought she could get a free pass for anything. It didn't help when she got in trouble and her dad said something like "If you were going to do something stupid, you shouldn't have been stupid enough to get caught" - that parental attitude just explained so much. I couldn't even relate to whether she did/didn't get into college story because she was so unlikable.
    - The jock guy - Way better than the popular girl. He really seemed to be a nice guy who came from an average family and was trying to use sports as an avenue to get into college.
    - The average girl - She really seemed to have strong goals and I hope she makes it far. I worried about her because it really seemed like her family history of depression could be a hurdle in her life.
    - The nerd guy - I felt bad for him. And yet, his self-deprecating comments really annoyed me. He wondered why girls didn't like him and then went on a date and told a girl something like "we have so much in common because we're both losers at life". Whaa!?!? No girl wants to hear that!!!

Overall a good film, but with so much reality tv focusing on teens these days, I kinda felt like I had seen it all before.

+ Reply to Thread