+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

Finally brokedown and rented Twilight. I must say I really enjoyed it. A bit cheesy in some areas, but overall very good. Will wait for New Moon to come out on video to watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lady;3802844;
    Finally brokedown and rented Twilight. I must say I really enjoyed it. A bit cheesy in some areas, but overall very good. Will wait for New Moon to come out on video to watch it.
    You should really like New Moon then, it was far FAR better than Twilight!!
    Looks like the release date has been set for March 20th. I'm actually looking forward to watching it again on DVD!

Finally watched The Hangover a couple of nights ago. It was silly and raunchy, but I liked it. They had some great one-liners that had me cracking up. Heard they are making a second one.

I have (500) Days Of Summer sitting here. Haven't watched it yet.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Junebug - I've been wanting to see this one for years and I'm so glad I did! Amy Adams made the movie for me. One of the things I like about indie films is that they don't do what you expect and this movie definitely didn't do the expected thing. Plus, I'll watch anything with Celia Weston in it. AND, Alessandro Nivola is dreamy

Sunshine Cleaning - Not at all what I expected - the previews make it seem more of a comedy - but I like Amy Adams and Emily Blunt, and Alan Arkin can do no wrong in my book. Definitely a thumbs up.

The Ugly Truth - Just okay. Katherine Heigl was seriously annoying in this one. I like Gerry Butler, but it wasn't enough to make me really like the movie.

Love n' Dancing - sort of the poor man's Shall We Dance. Amy Smart as a teacher who learns to ballroom dance from her deaf teacher. Very cute, but not rocket science. Cameos from Benji and Heidi from SYTYCD

Answer Man - The surprise of the week for me. Lauren Graham as a single mom and chiropractor, Jeff Daniels as the reclusive author of a wildly popular self-help book and Lou Taylor Pucci as a recovering alcoholic bookstore owner, who all find their lives intersecting. All of the characters are flawed and human. Nice little roles for Kat Demmings and Nora Dunn (who just does not work enough). I really liked this one. A lot.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Outrage - Documentary about closeted politicians who vote against gay rights issues (presumably as a way to cover the fact that they are gay). I didn't think it was a very engaging documentary, but it was definitely very interesting. A few thoughts: (1) these politicians must have an incredible amount of self-hatred to live the way that they do (2) it is amazing the media doesn't jump on it more given how much they like a scandal and (3) it is really sad that these men probably would not get elected if they were both open and republican. I feel the most sympathy for the wives of closeted men who truely do not know the truth. Their husbands are lying to them and putting them at huge risk for sexually transmitted disease with their philandering behavior.

If Charlie Crist does end up in the running for president in 2012, I will definitely have this film in the back of my mind...

I saw Outrage a while back on (I think) HBO. ITA about Charlie Crist. He's shady and I'd love for his ex to spill all! It takes a shocking level of self-loathing to publicly speak out against gay rights when you actually are gay.

I just watched Pretty Ugly People and was really pleasantly surprised. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised that an indie movie can have characters who are complex and flawed. Basically, it's the story of a group of college friends who are called together by one of their own, a once-obese woman who has lost weight and wants to lose the last four pounds on a backpacking trip with her old friends. Very funny and sad and odd at the same time...I guess kind of like life. Anyway, I really enjoyed it.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

Just watched Cinderella Man with the family. Wow! True to life sports movies are one of my favorite genre's and this movie did not disappoint. Russel Crowe, Renee Zellweger and the always talented Paul Giamatti were incredible.

It's the true story of a down and out boxer in the 1930's, Jim Braddock and his comeback into the boxing world. I loathe, detest and hate the sport of boxing, it's barbaric at best, so have avoided this movie. The story is phenomenal, rent it!

Departures - Japanese film about a man who is cello player and decides to give up playing and move back to his hometown. He makes a major career change and becomes a person who performs a ceremony to prepare dead bodies for their trip to the afterlife. It was rather interesting and quite well acted.

Fame - The remake of the 80 movie. Aside from Kherington, I also spotted Kathryn McCormick from the most recent season of SYTYCD. The dancing was good, but the movie fell flat. I didn't get to know enough about the characters to really feel any emotion about them. By the end I didn't really care what was going to happen with them.

Hope Springs - formulaic romantic comedy with Colin Firth, Heather Graham and Minnie Driver. I LOVE Colin Firth, which is probably the only reason I could get through this one. Sometimes, there's a reason a movie doesn't get much press.

Russian Ark - I watched this one today with a fellow art lover and was blown away. It was directed by Alexsandr Sokurov, who shot the film in one day and in ONE TAKE. The whole movie in one shot! 90+ minutes. The film takes place in the Hermitage in St. Petersburg and is kind of an ode to the museum and to Russian history. As you follow The Marquis (sort of your guide) through the museum/Winter Palace, you encounter different events/figures from Russian history. In one room is Peter the Great, in the theater is Catherine the Great, Nicolai II and his family dine in another room. In the enormous ballroom is the last gala before the revolution. In yet another room, a man builds his own coffin during the siege of Leningrad. The art is stunning and the building itself is just breathtaking. Not much plot and it's VERY Russian, but if you're into art and/or are interested in Russian history, this one is amazing! My emphasis in college was Russian history with a minor in art history, so I was in Heaven! It definitely made me want to brush up on my (now woefully inadequate) Russian.

Michael Jackson's This Is It - Really enjoyed it! I am not normally a fan of concert-type videos, but this one was interesting. I really feel for the people who had tickets to his shows because it looked like it would have been really fantastic. Getting a glimpse into his thought process and the amount of work involved was fascinating. The dancers they recruited are a really talented bunch!!

Public Enemies - I really like Johnny Depp, but I really did not like this movie. It was boring and there were so many similar-looking characters that I could not keep track of them all. My teenage son enjoyed it more, but mostly because he took it as a challenge to identify all of the firearms they were using.

+ Reply to Thread