+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

Watched Julie and Julia last night. Wasn't expecting much from it and then was blown away with delight! Meryl Streep IS Julia Child--absolutely wonderful and amazing. The scenes showing her when she's starting classes at the Cordon Bleu made me laugh out loud. Could have done with less of the "Julie" part, but they used it nicely to show Julia Child's lasting influence. The Child part of the film is based on her book, "My Life in France" which is a very good read itself. Oh and kudos to Stanley Tucci as Paul Child.
    Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment. --Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by BritLit;3790950;
    Watched Julie and Julia last night. Wasn't expecting much from it and then was blown away with delight! Meryl Streep IS Julia Child--absolutely wonderful and amazing. The scenes showing her when she's starting classes at the Cordon Bleu made me laugh out loud. Could have done with less of the "Julie" part, but they used it nicely to show Julia Child's lasting influence. The Child part of the film is based on her book, "My Life in France" which is a very good read itself. Oh and kudos to Stanley Tucci as Paul Child.
    I watched it a few nights ago and loved it too, Brit! I liked the Julie part (maybe I identify with her a bit ), but they could have made a whole movie of just Julia and I think it would have been better. More Meryl is always a good thing! I LOVE Stanley Tucci and thought he was fantastic as Paul. I guess Meryl told the producers that he had to play the part, so I guess it really IS who you know!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Interesting Meryl Streep anecdote. Watched the documentary recently, "Harvard Beats Yale 28-28" about the 1968 Harvard Yale game, though it was more about the tumultuous times of Vietnam and civil rights (and the women's movement). Anyway, one of the players was talking about his "girlfriend from Vassar" at the time--Meryl Streep-- who used to come down and visit. Some of the other guys were commenting that she'd come to "team dinners" on Sunday night and hardly say a word--but, they commented, "that was the way things were then, women weren't supposed to be heard." She's come a long way, BABY!
    Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment. --Dorothy Parker

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer - This was a very very strange movie. It featured Alan Rickman and Dustin Hoffman. Dustin Hoffman was a VERY odd choice. He is a good actor, but the movie took place in France (Victorian era maybe?) and he was the only character in the movie without a passable accent. Premise is a poor kid is born with an extremely sensitive sense of smell. Eventually he decides that he wants to be able to capture the essence of certain women in a perfume but he doesn't know how to go about it. He manages to get in a position where he can learn about perfume making and you can tell from the title the direction it leads...
    Btw, it was rated R for good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3796247;
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer - This was a very very strange movie. It featured Alan Rickman and Dustin Hoffman. Dustin Hoffman was a VERY odd choice. He is a good actor, but the movie took place in France (Victorian era maybe?) and he was the only character in the movie without a passable accent. Premise is a poor kid is born with an extremely sensitive sense of smell. Eventually he decides that he wants to be able to capture the essence of certain women in a perfume but he doesn't know how to go about it. He manages to get in a position where he can learn about perfume making and you can tell from the title the direction it leads...
    Btw, it was rated R for good reason.
    I saw that one a few years ago and still haven't decided how I feel about it! It was a very strange movie
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3796271;
    I saw that one a few years ago and still haven't decided how I feel about it! It was a very strange movie
    I'm glad I'm not alone!!

After giving it more thought, I wanted to come back and mention that the lead actor did an excellent job portraying an extremely disturbing character. If you are looking for an uplifting movie to watch, DO NOT watch this one. If you want to be disturbed and creeped out, feel free to pick this one up.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Just watched District 9 last night -- it wasn't what I thought it was (thought it'd be much more action) but I really liked the storyline--very thought provoking, esp. the first 5 minutes.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

In the Valley of Elah - Good story, slow moving but excellent acting. The ending was very nicely done.

I Love You, Man - Enjoyable comedy. Still quite a bit of raunchy humor, but not quite as bad as some of the comedy I've seen lately.

Their Eyes Were Watching God - I picked this up on Netflix, but I think this was a made for TV. It was okay, but felt like something was missing. I was left thinking that I should read the book because I think I would understand the main character a lot better.

I Can Do Bad All By Myself - Typical Tyler Perry - people with problems come around and better their lives. However, I did enjoy this one significantly more than the last two TP movies I have seen recently.

MRD

The Taking of Pelham 123.

I liked it. I can't help but watch John Travolta now and think about how far he's come since his days as a Sweat Hog.

Loved James Gandolfini in this. Denzel was very good. I also remember the first movie and this one is so much better.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Just watched Wristcutters: A Love Story. An indie movie about an alternate reality where people go if they commit suicide. It was very odd, but endearing and enjoyable. It won me over by the end.

+ Reply to Thread