+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3780319;
    Now, see, I absolutely loved the concept. I also love books or movies that present an alternate reality or a parallel world to our own. Plus, I'm a fan of Tarantino's style, so the gore didn't bother me at all. I was actually pleasantly surprised by this movie...at first I thought, "Oh, great, Nazi killers, period piece, this won't be a *real* Tarantino movie" but the film won me over very quickly. The acting was phenomenal...Christolph Waltz was THE best movie villian I've seen in recent memory, and it was very cool to see BJ Novak next to Brad Pitt.
    I am also a Tarantino fan, and I actually didn't think this one was Tarantino-esque enough! It sounds like you were expecting not to like it and it surpassed your expectations. I expected to love it so I think my expectations were too high going into it.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3780319;
    I rarely get a chance to sit down for a movie, so I get pretty ticked off when it's a bad one, but I got lucky with our other pick for the holidays - we also watched Drag Me To Hell, and I know that genre isn't to everyone's taste but I've watched Sam Raimi's Evil Dead series countless times and though this one wasn't as good - and of course there was no Bruce Campbell - it was still great fun. Too bad Justin Long didn't have more to do, though.
    I also thought this was a great campy horror flick and ITA that Justin Long could have been given more screen time!!
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 01-01-2010 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetNerd;3780292;
    I remember listening to an interview with Charlyne Yi on NPR in which she explained that She, Michael Cera and the one other lead Nick/Jake were semi scripted. Sort of MTV reality show level reality I guess. But everyone else that they spoke to and interviewd was authentic and some of them were completely bizzare.
    I heard the same interview and it was actually why I added the movie to my Netflix queue. I thought the idea of a semi-scripted movie sounded interesting. However, if that guy with the interview segment about going to Alaska was not a planned/scripted story then the guy must have been making it up, because it was completely ridiculous. The little interview stories in the movie had some odd puppeteering set up to go along with them that was kinda fun.

This is somewhat related, but I think it's pretty appropriate to ask in here. The Blockbuster right by my house (literally 3 blocks away) is closing. I'm thinking of Netflix. Any subscribers recommend it?
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;3781479;
    This is somewhat related, but I think it's pretty appropriate to ask in here. The Blockbuster right by my house (literally 3 blocks away) is closing. I'm thinking of Netflix. Any subscribers recommend it?
    We use Netflix and think it's very easy to use/convenient. We have the 1 movie at a time option and with the fast shipping, we usually go through 2 movies a week (during low TV season). That being said, I still use our OnDemand at times to buy movies for the kids if it's a last minute decision for them to watch something we don't have or if there's a chick flick I want to catch while my husband is out.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

I just got Netflix a few months ago and I LOVE it! I canceled my movie channels when the rates when up, so Netflix was a good replacement. I go through about 3 mailed movies per week and watch one or two on my computer as well. Totally worth the money
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

We just got a BlockBuster kiosk at our grocery store. It has most all new releases and it's only $1 a night. What a deal!!! Cancelled Netflix for it.

I've had Netflix for 6 1/2 years and I just love it! I really like having access to all sorts of movies (documentaries, foreign films, indies) that wouldn't necessarily be at the local video store. I also love getting whole seasons of tv shows and walking them all at once.

I've subscribed to Netflix for several years and have found they have a good number of titles I can't find at Blockbuster online or in store, particularly British tv and old classic tv and movies. Although they have longer wait time now for new titles than they used to, it does move up quite quickly and their turnaround time is excellent. I mail a movie back, next day they send out the next one, and it's in my mailbox the following day. I also like that they have a lot of titles that can be watched right from my pc.

I can think of only two negatives. One is that if you do have a problem, they don't have an e-mail address; you must phone them. The second one is that you can't give half stars in their raiting system.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I love, love, love Netflix!!! I have had it for a few years now and have never once considered going back to traditional rental. I have never had a need to contact them because I have never had a problem. I did get a scratched movie once, but I just reported it thru their website and it wasn't bad enough to require replacement. They turn around movies that I send them very quickly. There are only two movies ever that I have wated to rent that they did not have and they were both really obscure. I very highly recommend them!!!

ETA - There is actually a thread in the Movies forum on this topic. The title of the thread is "Netflix: Love It or Hate It?"

Wow, thank you everyone for the responses! I am strongly considering Netflix now.

Unfortunately, I just dropped by the Netflix site, and there's something wrong with this piece of crap that I use for my computer. The site says I have to enable cookies, to which I followed the directions for. For some reason, it still won't go. Maybe it's the browser (IE), but unforunately again, this computer for some odd reason won't let me use any other browser. I've downloaded Firefox and Safari in the past, but they just don't work.

Oh well.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

+ Reply to Thread