+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

My husband & I just rented Caprica and really liked it. Not sure if that counts as a "movie" but it was interesting to see where the Cylons came from (if you're a Battlestar Galactica fan)
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Sorry for the double post, but we're on a roll. Just watched Kite Runner and other than the one predictable scene (for those who've already seen it), I absolutely loved it. I tried to read the book a year ago but just couldn't get into it. The movie, which I'm sure didn't live up to the book, was great I thought.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

He's Just Not That Into You - I was expecting romantic comedy. This movie was kinda interesting and made some good points, but was definitely not funny. It was okay, but slow and not great.

Tomorrow I'm going to indulge in a Santa Clause marathon tomorrow. I have all three rentals open and ready to go...I need an aw shucks, gee whiz Christmas experience and have discovered that this trilogy delivers for me.

I really enjoyed He's Just Not That Into You. I found it to be more cute than romantic and the ending was pure Karma; plus I love the actors.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Terminator Salvation - I am not a fan of Christian Bale. His voice grates on my nerves because it seems forced, like he's trying to make himself sound tough and mysterious. However, I enjoyed this movie anyway. Fortunately the other main guy and the teenager stole the show away from Christian Bale. The special effects were well done and it was paced well. The computer animated Arnold near the end was completely unnecessary.

Inglourious Basterds - Overall I was quite disappointed. There were some interesting aspects and the acting was excellent. However, it just alternated between long boring stretches and brutal/bloody action sequences. I'm also not sure about the point of a movie that takes real historical characters and mixes them in with fictional characters and then takes them into a completely fictional storyline and conclusion...

Paper Heart - Interesting idea, okay movie. I heard that a lot of it was unscripted, just improv. The idea is that the movie is the story of a girl who decides to make a documentary about the fact that she doesn't believe in love. Along the way she meets a guy that she likes - will she fall in love with him?? However, it is a little bit confusing because the movie itself looks a bit like a documentary and a lot of the characters are actors using their real life names, but still playing a role in the film. I started out thinking that the little interview segments that she was doing with people might actually be real stories that they were telling, but then some guy told a completely ridiculous story about a trip to Alaska so I am guessing now that all of those stories were part of the movie story. Very unusual film.

(500) Days of Summer - Really good movie, I was pleasantly surprised. It was quirky, funny, and cute. Well done!!

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3779747;
    Paper Heart - Interesting idea, okay movie. I heard that a lot of it was unscripted, just improv. The idea is that the movie is the story of a girl who decides to make a documentary about the fact that she doesn't believe in love. Along the way she meets a guy that she likes - will she fall in love with him?? However, it is a little bit confusing because the movie itself looks a bit like a documentary and a lot of the characters are actors using their real life names, but still playing a role in the film. I started out thinking that the little interview segments that she was doing with people might actually be real stories that they were telling, but then some guy told a completely ridiculous story about a trip to Alaska so I am guessing now that all of those stories were part of the movie story. Very unusual film.
    I remember listening to an interview with Charlyne Yi on NPR in which she explained that She, Michael Cera and the one other lead Nick/Jake were semi scripted. Sort of MTV reality show level reality I guess. But everyone else that they spoke to and interviewd was authentic and some of them were completely bizzare.
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Just finished up Babel. Ugh, I owe my husband movie choosing rights after this one. Thought it was going to be good but it just turned out really depressing...

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3779747;
    Inglourious Basterds - Overall I was quite disappointed. There were some interesting aspects and the acting was excellent. However, it just alternated between long boring stretches and brutal/bloody action sequences. I'm also not sure about the point of a movie that takes real historical characters and mixes them in with fictional characters and then takes them into a completely fictional storyline and conclusion...
    Now, see, I absolutely loved the concept. I also love books or movies that present an alternate reality or a parallel world to our own. Plus, I'm a fan of Tarantino's style, so the gore didn't bother me at all. I was actually pleasantly surprised by this movie...at first I thought, "Oh, great, Nazi killers, period piece, this won't be a *real* Tarantino movie" but the film won me over very quickly. The acting was phenomenal...Christolph Waltz was THE best movie villian I've seen in recent memory, and it was very cool to see BJ Novak next to Brad Pitt.

I rarely get a chance to sit down for a movie, so I get pretty ticked off when it's a bad one, but I got lucky with our other pick for the holidays - we also watched Drag Me To Hell, and I know that genre isn't to everyone's taste but I've watched Sam Raimi's Evil Dead series countless times and though this one wasn't as good - and of course there was no Bruce Campbell - it was still great fun. Too bad Justin Long didn't have more to do, though.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
    I enjoyed it but was disappointed. It seemed to drag on in a lot of places. Maybe it was because this movie had so much hype during & after it's release. The monotone narration & delivery didn't help any. I expected better.
    The visual effects were impressive. The love story was OK, but again, I expected better.

I kept feeling like they tried to create a Forest Gump type of movie with a different twist, but this one just paled by comparison:
    Benjamin, while sympathetic & likable, lacked the charm of Forest, as did the whole movie & story. The Benjamin/Daisy love story also lacked the appeal & charm of the Forest/Jenny one.

On the positive side, when Benjamin was a young man toward the end, I was amazed at how young they made Brad Pitt look. Aging is one thing, but making someone look that much younger convincingly is another.
    Also, last scene of Benjamin & Daisy together was extremely touching. That's when the tears came, in fact, just thinking about it makes me teary eyed.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

+ Reply to Thread