+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

  1. #3361
    Pineapple! ClosetRTWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Groovin' with my human boom box
    Posts
    4,563

    Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

    Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies;3759976;
    Because you put in spoilers I will too...
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Other than Vulcan no longer being there (they are going to start a new colony) I didn't find too much alteration - the crew was intact at the beginning of the "new" voyage at the end of the film, but while it was the Enterprise's first "christened" voyage, she was not the newest and most updated ship in the fleet as was stated at the beginning of the TV show. I don't mind that.
    I feel like I have to put my entire comment in spoilers now so as not to hint at the ending for people who haven't watched yet!
    Click to see Spoiler:
    While Vulcan being destroyed may seem minor, it seems like it could have a ripple effect. They were one of the major players throughout the show in the past. So if they have to start over again it could completely change the power dynamic between the Federation and other groups (Romulans, Klingons, etc). I talked to a couple of other people about this and they pointed out that it really gives them free reign to make more movies with this cast and ANY differences in their personalities and storylines can be chalked up to the argument that they aren't really the same characters we knew before, as they have been set on a different path. On the one hand people may be annoyed with that argument, but on the other hand the original show was really rooted strongly in the time period when it was created (i.e., having a woman on the bridge was edgy, but the fact that she was African American was a really strong statement at the time) so this way they can really take a more modern approach that could be interesting...

    Okay, now that I have made myself sounds like a total Star Trek nerd, I will shut my mouth!

  2. #3362
    Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    With My Thoughts
    Posts
    20,324

    Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

    Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3760922;
    I feel like I have to put my entire comment in spoilers now so as not to hint at the ending for people who haven't watched yet!
    Click to see Spoiler:
    While Vulcan being destroyed may seem minor, it seems like it could have a ripple effect. They were one of the major players throughout the show in the past. So if they have to start over again it could completely change the power dynamic between the Federation and other groups (Romulans, Klingons, etc). I talked to a couple of other people about this and they pointed out that it really gives them free reign to make more movies with this cast and ANY differences in their personalities and storylines can be chalked up to the argument that they aren't really the same characters we knew before, as they have been set on a different path. On the one hand people may be annoyed with that argument, but on the other hand the original show was really rooted strongly in the time period when it was created (i.e., having a woman on the bridge was edgy, but the fact that she was African American was a really strong statement at the time) so this way they can really take a more modern approach that could be interesting...

    Okay, now that I have made myself sounds like a total Star Trek nerd, I will shut my mouth!
    Love your nerdiness. I, too, was wondering what Trekkies made of the movie. I do like your spoiler thought, though. And I hope it does generate another movie or two. But, really...why are we talking in spoilers? This is the DVD thread.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

  3. #3363
    Pineapple! ClosetRTWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Groovin' with my human boom box
    Posts
    4,563

    Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

    Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies;3760962;
    Love your nerdiness. I, too, was wondering what Trekkies made of the movie. I do like your spoiler thought, though. And I hope it does generate another movie or two. But, really...why are we talking in spoilers? This is the DVD thread.
    I know it's the DVD thread, but I feel like some people are on this thread to hear if a movie was good if they are still on the fence about watching it. I know I have heard about some movies that I had not seen before on here! It would be a bummer to give away the "twist" to a movie to someone who has not yet watched it...

  4. #3364
    Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    With My Thoughts
    Posts
    20,324

    Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

    Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3760979;
    I know it's the DVD thread, but I feel like some people are on this thread to hear if a movie was good if they are still on the fence about watching it. I know I have heard about some movies that I had not seen before on here! It would be a bummer to give away the "twist" to a movie to someone who has not yet watched it...
    Okay - understood. I liked Star Trek so much that I placed it in my basket at Amazon to be mailed on 12/8 along with my Harry Potter DVD. How is that for an endorsement!
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

  5. #3365
    Bitten Critical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Fangtasia - The Bar With Bite
    Age
    45
    Posts
    16,630

    Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

    Thanks for hiding the spoilers on Star Trek! I watched it this afternoon and was happy I wasn't spoiled. I really liked it a lot, which is something since my family is a bunch of Trekkies. My mother even worked in an office where they filmed a scene from the old series, so she saw Nimoy in the flesh. I had high expectations and the film definitely met them. Loved the cast, thought the special effects were terrific but didn't take over the movie and would love to see them make another one. I'm a big fan of JJ Abrams, so I had a feeling he'd do a great job. I was not disappointed!

    Also this week:
    The Count of Monte Cristo - It was good, but not great. They changed the ending from the book and I always hate it when filmmakers/screenwriters mess with classics that way. Also, Luis Guzman and his New York/Puerto Rican accent did not fit into the story. Like him as an actor, but the accent was distracting. Still, Guy Pierce was perfectly dastardly and Jim Caviezel was dreamy, especially with the goatee as the Count. Plus, the cinematography was stunning.

    Watchmen - What can I say? Meh. WAY too long, too disjointed and just not all that great. This is one of the first times I've seen Patrick Wilson and thought "WOW!" (I could marry one of those arms!), but overall, it wasn't all that good.

    Outsourced - LOVED this little indie gem! It's about a guy (Josh Hamilton) who works in the call center of a company that makes tacky gifts, who gets sent to India when the call center jobs get outsourced to India. He has to go there and train his replacement, as well as the rest of the employees. A really sweet little film with some nice performances.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

  6. #3366
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Among the flowers
    Posts
    1,403

    Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

    Re: Star Trek. I have been a fan for many years. Have watched every episode since "Star Trek: The Next Generation" started on TV. Have seen all the Star Trek movies. Seeing different actors in the new movie was a bit hard to get used to, and I won't put any details in this post, but it was a good movie. The purpose may have been to regenerate interest. Star Trek in all its incarnations may take place in the 24th century but it is about current human issues.

    P.S. Those of us who are diehard fans prefer to be called "Trekkers." Just a minor grammatical point!!

  7. #3367
    Pineapple! ClosetRTWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Groovin' with my human boom box
    Posts
    4,563

    Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

    I watched Bruno tonight. I decided this movie is not trying to be funny nearly as much as it is trying to be "shocking". I consider myself to be pretty open minded, but this movie was just distasteful. I was actually surprised that it garnered an R rating by putting some black boxes in place, because it was pretty darn clear what was going on!!

    I am all for movies that try to expose problems in our society, but the only thing this movie did was encourage negativity. For example, at one point "Bruno" gets into a cage fighting ring and gets then entire crowd pumped up with "Proud to be straight" chants. He then proceeds to sloppily make out with a guy in the ring, removing items of clothing as they go. In response the audience looks disgusted and proceeds to throw anything they can at them - many many drinks and even larger objects like metal folding chairs!! I was left asking, what the heck were they trying to accomplish with this stunt? It seems to me that all he did was reinforce the negative stereotypes that these people hold against homosexual people. He sure as heck didn't do any bridge building!!!

    I appreciate social commentary, but not when it is done with no tact or insight. This entire movie was set up to humiliate people. It was all about laughing at people rather than with them.

  8. #3368
    Pineapple! ClosetRTWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Groovin' with my human boom box
    Posts
    4,563

    Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

    Julie & Julia - Sweet movie. I thought it was thoroughly enjoyable. Meryl Steep did an excellent job as Julia Child.

    Angels & Demons - I enjoyed it a lot also. Good twists, good pace, good acting.

  9. #3369
    Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    5,563

    Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

    My husband and I saw Seven Pounds with Will Smith last night. Based on the commercials I remember seeing, it was soooo not what I was expecting. It was an interesting story but we were really surprised where it took us and if I'd known beforehand, I don't know that we would've gotten it.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

    “I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

  10. #3370
    Pineapple! ClosetRTWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Groovin' with my human boom box
    Posts
    4,563

    Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

    I Like it Like That - Movie from the mid-90s about a Latino couple living in the Bronx. The guy gets arrested stealing a stereo for his girl and she has to cope with handling the kids while he is gone and some additional conflicts as the movie progresses. Although I think it was trying to be gritty and deal with serious issues, I didn't think it did a very good job and I didn't really care for it. It played into a lot of Latino stereotypes. There was yelling, screaming, and more yelling. The main characters were not very likable and by the end I don't think I cared much about how their story ended up.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.