+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

I finally decided to cancel my movie channels and got Netflix instead. MUCH cheaper. I spent the afternoon watching movies online.

Last Chance Harvey: Emma Thompson and Dustin Hoffman together? = Not a fabulous movie, but it was great fun seeing them work together.

The Cake Eaters: a nice little indie film with Bruce Dern, Elizabeth Ashley and Kristin Stewart and directed by Mary Stuart Masterson. Very character-driven, with some nice moments.

I'll Be There: I watched it because it was written by Craig Ferguson, who also stars in it with Charlotte Church, who should probably stick to singing. Still, always nice to see Craig in anything. He talks in his autobiography about his disappointment with how the film turned out (and how CC was not an actor), so I wanted to see for myself. It wasn't great, but I still love CF. Saving Grace was a much better showcase for his talents and Brenda Blethyn was a much more talented co-star, but it was still a cute movie.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Away We Go - I had reservations about even seeing it, but I'm so glad I did. It was fantastic! Such a terrific cast and director (Sam Mendes). It's such a lovely little movie with so many nice moments and great, nuanced performances. Maya Rudolph was particularly wonderful.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Hamlet 2 - What a completely bizarre and silly movie. It has pervasive swearing and references to sex so it is NOT AT ALL appropriate for children. It is about a guy who couldn't make it as an actor, so he becomes a high school drama teacher. He ends up with a rag-tag group of kids and when the school budget cuts the drama class he decides to put on a play that he wrote himself. The play is Hamlet 2 and involves characters from Hamlet, time travel, Einstein, and Jesus. I will say no more other than the fact that the musical number "Sexy Jesus" was hilarious!

The Kite Runner - I heard this movie was good, but it surpassed my expectations!

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3755010;
    Hamlet 2 - What a completely bizarre and silly movie. It has pervasive swearing and references to sex so it is NOT AT ALL appropriate for children. It is about a guy who couldn't make it as an actor, so he becomes a high school drama teacher. He ends up with a rag-tag group of kids and when the school budget cuts the drama class he decides to put on a play that he wrote himself. The play is Hamlet 2 and involves characters from Hamlet, time travel, Einstein, and Jesus. I will say no more other than the fact that the musical number "Sexy Jesus" was hilarious!
    I thought this movie was SO MUCH FUN. I was singing "Rock me sexy jesus for hours afterward".
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

Rachel Getting Married - Fantastic performance by Anne Hathaway as a wounded, sympathetic, irritating character. She absolutely deserved that Oscar nomination!

Passengers - Stars Anne Hathaway and a bunch of other actors I recognized. I had not heard of this movie until just recently. About a therapist dealing with survivors of a plane crash...until they begin to disappear. It was slower moving that I expected, but not bad. I did not anticipate the ending and that always makes me happy!

Pride & Glory - Sort of your typical family of cops drama/thriller. It was okay. Not the best of its genre and not the worst. I felt the character's motivations might have been fleshed out a little better but the acting was good all around. Well, except for Jon Voight who sort of hammed it up IMO. It was interesting to see Colin Farrell in this much of an unlikeable role.

The International - The premise and action were good. I enjoyed watching the investigation. The ending was a bit unsatisfying. Clive Owen was delish! Uh, I mean, excellent.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine - Meh. I guess I'm just not that into X-Men. The special effects were good, but I got bored with the story and took a nap thru most of it. My two teen boys thought it was great!

Star Trek - Pretty good. The time travel story lines on Star Trek have never been my favorite, but this was okay. Lots of action and great special effects. One of my teen boys watched with me and I had to pause a few times to explain what was going on because there was lots of jumping around and he is not familiar with Star Trek. I was left a bit unsatisfied at the end because
    Click to see Spoiler:
    the storyline of characters we have known for years was altered and how would that effect everything else we have seen in our many years of watching Star Trek...?
    <--- I'm not sure if this is a huge spoiler, but I hate knowing anything about movie endings before I watch so I figured I can't be too careful

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3759552;
    X-Men Origins: Wolverine - Meh. I guess I'm just not that into X-Men. The special effects were good, but I got bored with the story and took a nap thru most of it. My two teen boys thought it was great!

Star Trek - Pretty good. The time travel story lines on Star Trek have never been my favorite, but this was okay. Lots of action and great special effects. One of my teen boys watched with me and I had to pause a few times to explain what was going on because there was lots of jumping around and he is not familiar with Star Trek. I was left a bit unsatisfied at the end because
    Click to see Spoiler:
    the storyline of characters we have known for years was altered and how would that effect everything else we have seen in our many years of watching Star Trek...?
    <--- I'm not sure if this is a huge spoiler, but I hate knowing anything about movie endings before I watch so I figured I can't be too careful
    OMG Me, too. I watched Wolverine yesterday and Star Trek just now. I was going to comment on Star Trek first because it was weird to see John Cho (Flash Forward) and Zachery Quinto (Heroes) in the movie. I really don't like either of their characters on the TV shows, so I had to adjust to them being heroes.

Because you put in spoilers I will too...
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Other than Vulcan no longer being there (they are going to start a new colony) I didn't find too much alteration - the crew was intact at the beginning of the "new" voyage at the end of the film, but while it was the Enterprise's first "christened" voyage, she was not the newest and most updated ship in the fleet as was stated at the beginning of the TV show. I don't mind that.
    At first I was confused when the time jumps began, but once young Kirk discovered Spock on the ice planet, it all made sense. I loved it! Almost as much as the "whale" movie.

I found Wolverine interesting in that it really did show how he became more powerful - what the govt did to him, which was implied in the first movie. It was difficult, however, to see Liev as the out-of-control ferocious cat. When it showed them as young boys, he did not exhibit his powers, though Wolverine did. I really liked the human poignancy in the "wanting to be normal" and in love scenes and was as torn as he was when it was revealed to be a delusion.

Anyway - I REALLY liked both movies...StarTrek most of all.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

+ Reply to Thread