+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

Fay Grim - gotta love Parker Posey.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

Defiance - About a group of Jewish resistance fighters during WWII. Interesting bit of history that I was not previously aware of. The movie was well done and well acted, but a bit slow and quite long.

Obsessed - This basic story has been done before. Married guy meets woman who becomes obsessed with him and won't leave him alone. Unfortunately all the times I saw this story before it was better than this one. This movie was pretty mediocre and I found myself just wanting to hurry up and be over.

Changeling with Angelina Jolie and John Malkovich.
    I liked it overall, but was surprised that it was a Clint Eastwood movie. Although it's based on a true story, it just didn't seem that believable in several scenes.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3665018;
    Changeling with Angelina Jolie and John Malkovich.
    I liked it overall, but was surprised that it was a Clint Eastwood movie. Although it's based on a true story, it just didn't seem that believable in several scenes.
    I didn't want to believe that it was a true story!! So terrible and so sad...

Bug with Ashley Judd. One of the worst movies ever.

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lady;3666883;
    Bug with Ashley Judd. One of the worst movies ever.
    I saw that movie on one of the cable movie channels the other night and thought I might give it a shot since Ashley Judd was in it. Now I'm glad I didn't and I'll remember to avoid it the next time I see it!! Thx sweetlady!

17 Again - The basic story has been done many many times in many slightly different ways, but the previews looked cute so I thought I would give this one a chance. I actually really enjoyed it. Zac Effron may be the "pretty boy" actor, but he really seems to completely throw himself into whatever role he is playing, and I appreciate that. The bits with the dweeby friend were really funny too, especially when he is interacting with the school principal.

The Class - This is a French movie about a teacher that is working at a school in one of the toughest neighborhoods in Paris. The interesting part it is based on a memoir and the actor who plays the teacher is the actual teacher who wrote the memoir. Furthermore all of the students are played by actual students rather than actors (no idea if the students are supposed to be from the real school). Also interesting is that a great deal of the interaction was improvised rather than scripted. All of that said, the acting was quite good. On the other hand it didn't really feel to me like the story went anywhere. We are introduced to all of these kids who have apparently had it pretty hard and I wanted there to be some kind of success at the end. Instead we get a glimpse into how it is, see that teachers are human and make mistakes, and then the kids move on and we have no idea what ever became of them...

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

17 Again
    I was also pleasantly surprised. Yes, this movie is a rework of an old old plotline, but it is well done.
    I especially loved the secondary plotline of his best friend (Ned played by Thomas Lennon) and the school principal. Waay too funny. Actually, I think Thomas Lennon stole that movie - he was hilarious.
    Definitely worth the rental.

Pete Seeger: The Power of Song: I give this one A+++. This is a documentary about a man who really did change the world with his music and introduced folk music to the world. It features lots of interviews with Pete and family as well as with Peter, Paul, and Mary, Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, Bruce Springsteen, and more. And lots of music. He was driven to end the wrong wars and was monumentally significant in the Civil Rights movement all while being persecuted by McCarthyism and the HUAC. Happily, he is still with us at age 90, a real contradiction to the say, "The good die young."

Sunshine Cleaning I liked this quite a bit more than I thought I would. Strong performances as usual from Amy Adams and Emily Blunt and the presence of Alan Arkin is always a plus.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Marley and Me.
    Overall, it's somewhat enjoyable, but I think it could have been a much better movie in the hands of another director. The film needed much better editing and I think the role of the husband was not well cast.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread