+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 420 FirstFirst ... 23242526272829303132333435363738394041424383133 ... LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

We rented Darkness Falls yesterday.
    It's appalling imo.
    "That's Numberwang!"

The in-flight movie on my eastbound plane was "Two Weeks Notice." It stars Sandra Bullock and Hugh Grant. I have nothing good to say about this movie. HG, as is his wont, plays the same character he always plays, that fruity huffing British guy who can't seem to keep his eyes from darting around and twitching uncontrollably. SB plays a HARVARD-GRADUATED LAWYER who is also a with-it hippie chick. Her cause in this film is to save a community center in Long Island. Suffice to say, in the movie she knows EVERYTHING, and her Birkenstocked feet give way to high heels once HG hires her as his assistant. He does this because he's enamoured with her beauty and eloquence and enjoys appropriating her words. Later we see him become so totally reliant on SB's advice he calls her out of a wedding (she is the maid of honor) because he can't choose which outfit to wear. SB agrees to be HG's assistant because, as a bigwig contractor, he has the power to take a wrecking ball to the Long Island community center. SB takes the position provided HG won't wreck the center.

This is a romantic cheeseball comedy with a historic preservation twist. Ironically, I visited several friends on the east coast who are historic preservation planners, and in their social circles this movie is considered bad, very bad.

okay someone (few people) had written when Darkness Falls
    was really scary....

I fell asleep........ughhhh!
    So, where's the Cannes Film Festival being held this year?
    ~ Christina Aguilera

I took out Imposter with Gary Sinse. It had an interesting premise and was a pretty good movie.

The Astronut's Wife with Johnny Depp and Charleze (?). Just okay for me. The characters didn't change much for most of the movie and we knew what was going on. Not much room for surprise, except a little at the very end.

just saw "two weeks notice" and found it entertaining. then again, i wasn't expecting much.

saw "barbershop" recently and really really really liked it.

saw "far from heaven" recently too. i know it was like a critics' top 10 movie pic for 2002, but i couldn't help feeling like i was watching a train wreck. i didn't enjoy feeling that way.

Fade to black
    Just watched 8 Mile. I was surprised. I really enjoyed it, and thought Eminem did a very credible job.
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

I watched 8 mile too, against my will. It wasn't bad! I felt like the end kind of left you hanging, though.

just watched "auto focus". can't say that was a happy movie. different role for greg kinnear. that's for sure.

Fade to black
    Originally posted by glennajo
    I watched 8 mile too, against my will. It wasn't bad! I felt like the end kind of left you hanging, though.
    Probably why I liked it. I'm a big fan of ambiguity in ending a movie. Makes you think and reflect on what you watched, fill in the blanks, use the imagination. It's actually how most of my short stories and/or novels end.
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

Recently rented The Truth About Charlie (starring Thandie Newton, Mark Wahlberg, and Tim Robbins) and The Transporter... and thought these were two of the worst movies that I have seen for some time! Tim Robbins is REALLY slumming it...

I mean sometimes movies are just okay... but these two were downright terrible in my opinion and in the opinion of all 7 or 8 people whom I watched together with (post-hockey game potluck video rental )

Clunkers!!!

On the flipside, I also watched Femme Fatale and suprisingly, I quite enjoyed it. There are some campy elements to it, but overall I thought it was a well crafted thriller in the old school De Palma fashion. I am not a huge fan of Rebecca Romijn-Stamos but found her to be quite captivating in this film. Probably not the best flick to watch with young kids though, as there are some adult situations.

Off to rent Far From Heaven, hopefully!

Cheers!

M

PS I was also pleasantly surprised by 8 Mile... it was pretty cliche, but overall it was entertaining...
    ~M o s a i K~

+ Reply to Thread