+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

the passengers - i'd never heard of this one until i saw a trailer for it on another dvd i rented. since i like anne hathaway, i thought i'd check it out. through most of the movie, i was thinking to myself "is this the best it gets?", but i'm glad i stuck it out ... the ending definitely makes up for it.

bride wars - i love both anne and kate hudson, and while this movie did have it's amusing parts, i have to admit i was disappointed. it wasn't as good as i anticipated. don't get me wrong, it was enjoyable ... just not one i care to add to my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by barefootdyke
    bride wars - i love both anne and kate hudson, and while this movie did have it's amusing parts, i have to admit i was disappointed. it wasn't as good as i anticipated. don't get me wrong, it was enjoyable ... just not one i care to add to my collection.
    I loved this movie. Even more than I thought I would. I laughed the whole time and even got a little teary at the end.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

Sex and the City - It finally came up on my Netflix que. It was so much better then I expected and some parts of still make me go woahhh. I loved Samantha and Charlotte so much in it.

Role Models (the unrated version).

Paul Rudd is just too cute, and Jane Lynch can do no wrong.

New in Town - Cute in spite of Renee Zellweger, who I am not a fan of. I do, however, like Harry Connick Jr! I am currently living in this region, so I had to check it out. I liked the supporting cast and thought they did a good job portraying "Minnesota nice".

Frost/Nixon - Honestly, I was kinda bored thru the first third of the movie. It picked up and was okay overall. The problem for me is that this all happened shortly before I was born. I don't know the details of the scandal and the players involved and I don't have the emotional connection to the issue that I would have if I had lived thru it.

Slumdog Millionaire - I went into this movie expecting to completely love it. I was a bit underwhelmed. It was an excellent movie, but I guess I was expecting to be blown away and it just didn't happen. I hate going into a movie with high expectations...

Saw Woody Allen's Sleeper, an old movie, for the first time ever.
    I literally rolled on the floor. So funny.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

we have 'new in town' at home right now too ... i'll be watching it this week.

Let the Right One In.

Exciting, well done, unique. I read it's getting the Hollywood treatment. Can't imagine that being a good thing. The Swedish setting is perfect for the story.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ EJ;3478383;
    Let the Right One In.

Exciting, well done, unique. I read it's getting the Hollywood treatment. Can't imagine that being a good thing. The Swedish setting is perfect for the story.
    Seriously? I cannot imagine this movie more well done and interesting than it was in this version. I loved the serene feel of this version.

That said, after watching the movie I read the book and it makes me wonder if Hollywood might take a drastically different approach to the story. There was A LOT of content in the book that was completely left out of the movie - stuff that could potentially make for a gorier and/or more disturbing movie. I just hope Hollywood doesn't completely botch it up, because the story has so much potential but could also be turned into a farce...

ETA: It looks like the guy who directed Cloverfield is on this job. I am going to expect the worst and hope for the best. I really hope they do well in the casting department. I would really like to see some talented and unknown actors in this movie rather than big names that are too "traditionally pretty" for the roles in this story.
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 06-02-2009 at 11:36 AM.

Bride Wars - Meh. I really like Kate Hudson and Anne Hathaway, but the movie was just okay. It was about what I expected considering the mediocre reviews I had heard. I was expecting more laughs, and there were only a couple. I just don't find an entire movie of friends fighting and being sad about it very funny...

Taken - Liam Neeson as a ex-military dad whose daughter is kidnapped and he is trying to find her. It started out really interesting but then it denigrated into Liam Neeson killing everyone. It got to the point where I was really losing sympathy for the guy, which is hard when it is a dad trying to save his only child!

The Reader - I am about halfway thru the book, so I am going to have to post again in the "books into movies" thread when I'm done because there are some clear differences that I see in the characters. Reviewing JUST the movie, Kate Winslet did a great job, but overall the movie was a bit slow. I really leave it not knowing how I am supposed to feel about the main character. It seemed like the story tries to make us feel that there are redeeming qualities about her, but (especially from the book) I see very little to convince me that she was essentially a good person. The drastic things she did to hide her secret were just too negative to the lives of others for me to cut her any slack.

Sadly this was a really mediocre movie week for me.

+ Reply to Thread