+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

Miracle at St. Anna - About a group of "buffalo soldiers" fighting the Nazi forces in Italy during WWII. Good movie, a little long, I cried a lot.

The Uninvited - This was an interesting one because I went in having watched the movie it is based on: Janghwa, Hongryeon aka A Tale of Two Sisters. If I had not watched the original, I think I would have enjoyed The Uninvited more. On the positive side, you leave The Uninvited knowing clearly what has happened in the movie. The original Korean film was much more confusing at the end and I wasn't quite sure if I completely understood every nuance. On the other hand the original had a much better "feel" to it, was wonderfully filmed, and the "big twist" was much bigger than in the American remake. On some levels The Uninvited seemed like a completely different movie - there were characters like the delivery guy and the "ghost children" that did not even exist in the original. Overall, it was worth watching but I still think the original was a better film on many levels.

9/11 - Very respectful look at the events of 9/11. There were two brothers that had been doing a documentary following a group of firefighters beginning much earlier in the year and they happened to be with the firefighters that day. It really showed a firsthand account of what these people went through - both the firefighters and the civilian brothers who were in different locations.

Yes Man - It was pretty good. Jim Carrey did well, and I am not always a Jim Carrey fan. I usually like his more serious work, but he wasn't over-the-top idiotic in this movie. I'm not sold on Zooey Deschanel. She is very pretty, but there is something about her acting that I don't find very believable.

FORT Fogey

I saw Bride Wars over the weekend, and was pleasantly surprised. When the movie first came out, I thought it looked like the stupidest take on the Bridezilla idea ever. But I heard enough good things about it that i thought I'd give it a try, and I'm glad I did. It had some warm messages about love and friendship, and a lot more depth than I was expecting.

The Day the Earth Stood Still - Good special effects, just okay overall. Nice message, but it didn't draw me in like I hoped it would.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3443844;
    The Day the Earth Stood Still - Good special effects, just okay overall. Nice message, but it didn't draw me in like I hoped it would.
    My husband and I just watched The Day The Earth Stood Still too and we had the same reaction. Not horrible but not the best movie we've ever seen. I actually kind of liked Knowing better.

Bride Wars: I laughed. It was great! Anne Hathaway really made it.
    Enchanted: I watched this on Monday and I really liked it. Much better than I thought it would be. And Patrick Dempsey even sang a little bit.
    Doubt: This was a very well done film. As much as I'm not a Streep fan, she was very good in this. I mostly watched it for Phillip Seymour Hoffman. He was awesome in this movie and Amy Adams was very good, too. I thought it was very tastefully put together and I was very pleased.
    Bolt: This was a pretty good film. Great for the kids.
    So, for "stars":
    The Day The Earth Stood Still 3 1/2 stars (Excellent special effects but it didn't grab me the way I wanted it to.
    Bride Wars: 5 (Very funny and the acting was great)
    Enchanted: 5 (Again for acting and comical factor. Much different than your typical fairytale story)
    Doubt: 4 (I'm only knocking off a star because I simply am not a Streep fan. She was very good in this but I almost wish they had cast someone else.
    Bolt: 5 Great for the kids and the whole family. Very cute.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd;3407747;
    And Audition, an older Japanese horror movie. Sort of like The Bachelor gone horribly wrong. Not bad, but it started out slow.
    I re-watched this a couple of weeks ago.

I really liked "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead" a lot also. Also re-watched "Dangerous Liasons" and "Valmont"--two interpretations of the same novel. They are different, but both good; "DL" has better known actors, but I thought "Valmont" actually was better to watch, with a more story appropriate supporting cast...except the hairsyle of the male lead really bugged me!

I also really liked "Intolerable Cruelty", which I watched last night. I don't even recall hearing about it when it came out.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by nilesgirl;3449348;
    Enchanted: I watched this on Monday and I really liked it. Much better than I thought it would be. And Patrick Dempsey even sang a little bit.
    I loved, loved, loved the scene in the park where Amy Adams breaks out into song and Patrick Dempsey is the only one who recognizes the spontaneous musical number for what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3450054;
    ...Also re-watched "Dangerous Liasons" and "Valmont"--two interpretations of the same novel. They are different, but both good; "DL" has better known actors, but I thought "Valmont" actually was better to watch, with a more story appropriate supporting cast...except the hairsyle of the male lead really bugged me!
    Dangerous Liasons is one of my fav movies ever! I have watched other versions of the story, but I'm not sure if I have watched Valmont...I'll have to go look it up and see if it wounds familiar...

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher
    I loved, loved, loved the scene in the park where Amy Adams breaks out into song and Patrick Dempsey is the only one who recognizes the spontaneous musical number for what it is.
    Actually, he didn't know the song. And then all of a sudden, a Reggae band started playing it with her and PD was like "I've never heard this song in my life." That was pretty funny. I had that stupid song in my head all day because of that scene. I didn't realize until I saw him that Timothy Spall was in it. Pretty cool. He's really making a name for himself. The HP movies, Sweeney Todd and now this. GREAT! Now I've got that song in my head again.
    *starts singing* "How does she know you love her? How does she know she's yours?"
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

I recently saw Enchanted on the movie channel and I have to admit I too really enjoyed it. I didn't think I would but I thought it was entertaining!
    Yup, with donuts!!

I'm watching it again with my husband.

+ Reply to Thread