+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

A Man and A Woman (or Un Homme et Une Femme) great classic French film and I would considered one of the best love stories I've ever seen.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

Termination Point: An okay watch, not great, but mostly enjoyable. It's got Lou Diamond Phillips, whom I always enjoy.

The Day the Earth Stood Still: Another okay film, but not nearly as good as the original. The technology is far superior, but the original cast of Patricia Neal, Michael Rennie, Billy Gray, Hugh Marlowe, and Sam Jaffe was better for me.

Doubt: Amazing and outstanding. The performances by Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Meryl Streep, Amy Adams, and Viola Davis were perfect. I've liked John Patrick Shanley since Moonstruck and he hit it out of the part again with this one.

I've also been watch season 1 of the HBO series In Treatment and I think it's excellent. I have the last 2 disks coming tomorrow and I'm looking forward to Season 2.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

my best friend's girl - i have to admit, i was very disappointed. it ended up a lot more vulgar than i expected ... but maybe i should have figured, since dane cook can be rather crude. i'm nowhere near a prude and can handle colorful language and topics, but in my opinion the crudeness just went above and beyond what was needed and it basically ruined what could have been a very amusing and enjoyable movie. i mainly saw it because i love kate hudson and she didn't disappoint.

Changeling. Good movie and so shocking was that it was a true story.

The Secret Life of Bees - I loved the book and was not disappointed by the movie. I had not read the book in a while, so any parts of the movie that differed went by without my notice. The acting from all of the women (and the men) was excellent!!

Religulous - I'm just going to bullet my thoughts here and try to keep it simple to avoid sparking too much controversy on this one...
    • It was pretty much what I expected from Bill Maher.
    • I thought he made some very good points, especially early on and at the very end.
    • I thought he dimished his credibility a bit when he left his study of the major religions to talk to the pot smoker in Amsterdam and the hispanic guy who was trying to convince people he was the second coming of Christ. I suppose he was trying to convince that the major religions are just as ridiculous...?
    • For MOST of the interviews I thought he was reasonable and not too out of line. However, there were a couple where he just came off rude and I didn't think that helped him. I appreciate listening to his point of view and it bothers me a little bit when he falls back into his snide sarcasm. I think it comes from his frustration with the issue, but I think it also can cause people to discount what he is trying to say.
    • I WOULD NOT recommend this movie for people who are not open to differing opinions when it comes to religion!! (At least not unless you want to make yourself angry.)

Four Weddings and A Funeral - I forgot how funny this movie was, worth checking out!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

Marley & Me: I expected it to be 'crazy hilarious' and I was a bit disappointed in that dept. The overall story, however, was sweet (and, uhhmmm, emotional (as in, get your tissues)).

Twilight: Never read the books (nor do I plan to) but I did enjoy the movie! The best part is definitely the creation of a new world filled with different interpretations of vampire lore (and the exploration thereof).

Chris Rock: Kill the Messenger: Normally, I am a big fan but I found myself bored to tears...we did not even finish the DVD...

Doubt - I agree with the PP that Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Meryl Streep, and Amy Adams were outstanding! The relationship between the Father Flynn and Sister Aloysius were very interesting and well handled.

Bedtime Stories - Fun family movie. Predictable, but still worth a watch with the kids.

The Reader: All I can say is, "Wow!". What a wonderfully written story and what a performance by Kate Winslett. She deserved every award she got for that.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Well I was a glutton for sad movies this weekend. I may be out of tears at the moment.

Seven Pounds - Will Smith really did an excellent job. I didn't know much about it going in and it took a while to see exactly how the movie was going to come together, but it did in the end.

Milk - Wow. All of the acting was good, but I thought Sean Penn and James Franco were the standouts! I have always enjoyed James Franco, but I have never seen him in anything like this before.

+ Reply to Thread