+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3390070;
    Smiley Face - I laughed until I was crying! I almost wet my pants! If you like comedies, this movie is so funny!
    One of my friends told me about SF this weekend. I had never heard of it, but I added it to my netflix. Cant wait to see it!
    ignorance is excellence

We saw The Wrestler over the weekend. About 2/3 through, it seems that the film burned up and they had no backup copy. We all got our money back, but I would have really liked to see the ending. Did anybody catch it?
    Last edited by norealityhere; 03-23-2009 at 02:03 PM.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3390213;
    We saw The Wrestler over the weekend. About 2/3 through, it seems that the film burned up and they had no backup copy. We all got our money back, but I would have really like to see the ending. Did anybody catch it?
    Yes. I will PM you the ending. If you don't want it spoiled, delete the message before reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3390218;
    Yes. I will PM you the ending. If you don't want it spoiled, delete the message before reading it.
    thanks much
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I saw Rachel Getting Married and you can count me in the 'bored to death' crowd.

Australia was amazing. I loved the cinematography and the costumes - best costume? Hugh Jackman.. shirtless I honestly don't know why it got such a bad wrap from critics. It had a good story and it all flowed, 3 hours does seem excessive for a movie but I was caught up in every minute of it.

Role Models - stupid, ridiculous in poor taste and totally funny! I was surprised that I laughed so often. The youngest boy certainly did steal the show.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

I saw Role Models as well Duxxy and it was pretty funny. That little kid was a riot. As a parent, I sort of cringed everytime he cursed though.
    Yup, with donuts!!

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3389788;
    Was it just me or did you find yourself wondering about who the heck these people were? They were having an Indian themed wedding, the fiance evidently spent time in Jamaica, there were lots of talented musicians (although the incessant playing did get highly annoying), all of the background players seemed like they had an interesting story behind them and the movie did not not capitalize on any of it. And the wedding reception segment went on for a small eternity and seemed rather useless. It also ended abruptly and with no explanation.
    nope, wasn't just you ... i agree with everything you said. i was confused as heck through most of it. and YES, that reception was wayyyyy too long and NOTHING of substance from it! i kinda felt like they extended it because they had nothing else to fill the movie with!

oh, and i have one more complaint about the dvd that has nothing to do with the movie. as i get older, i'm finding that i have a hard time hearing some discussions clearly, especially when music in a movie is louder than the dialog, so i watch movies with the subtitles on. well, this dvd had the weirdest subtitles ever. they weren't subtitles of the movie ... they were subtitles of the commentary!! WTH??? i kept going to the menu and telling it to turn commentary off, but it dien't matter ... whenever i chose subtitles, it was the commentary, not the actual movie. so i missed a lot of the dialog too, in some of those scenes.
    Last edited by barefootdyke; 03-23-2009 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3383974;
    Rachel Getting Married - Slow moving, but interesting portrait of a family dealing with addiction and tragedy. Anne Hathaway did do a good job in a role that is definitely a departure from what she has done in the past. The ending kind of left me hanging. I didn't really expect complete resolution since recovery is an ongoing process, but I was left not really sure what direction the main character was headed in...
    I enjoyed this film, too. It was a great choice for Anne Hathaway to show her range. The complete self-centeredness of her mother as played by Debra Winger was a real insight as to some of what contributed to the character's problems in the first.

Now for two films that I loved.

1. Ballanchine: Chaconne, Prodigal Son, etc. I love ballet and this DVD feataure six pieces choreographed by George Ballanchine. Three of them featured the incomparable Mikhail Barishnikov and two featured ballerina Karen Von Aroldingen. They danced Prodigal Son together and it took my breath away. If you love ballet or want to learn why others do, this DVD should not be missed.

2. The Hobart Shakespeareans This is a documentary directed by Mel Stewart, of Willie Wonka fame. I cannot remember when I saw a more inspiring documentary. It is about a teacher in an L.A. inner city school who teaches fifth graders from extremely underprivileged homes, mostly Hispanic and Asian, where English is rarely, if at all spoken at home. His methods are unique, but should be standard. He incorporate life lessons, respect for self and others, a believe in themselves and their ability to accomplish what they want. They work after school and on weekends to put on a Shakespearean play at the end of the school year; this year's was Hamlet. These children read and understand Hamlet, Catcher in the Rye, Lord of the Flies, and develop a love of learning. This teacher should be cloned. He shows what education should be. I give this DVD my strongest recommendation. Three generations in my family watched and loved it.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by barefootdyke;3390423;
    nope, wasn't just you ... i agree with everything you said. i was confused as heck through most of it. and YES, that reception was wayyyyy too long and NOTHING of substance from it! i kinda felt like they extended it because they had nothing else to fill the movie with!

oh, and i have one more complaint about the dvd that has nothing to do with the movie. as i get older, i'm finding that i have a hard time hearing some discussions clearly, especially when music in a movie is louder than the dialog, so i watch movies with the subtitles on. well, this dvd had the weirdest subtitles ever. they weren't subtitles of the movie ... they were subtitles of the commentary!! WTH??? i kept going to the menu and telling it to turn commentary off, but it dien't matter ... whenever i chose subtitles, it was the commentary, not the actual movie. so i missed a lot of the dialog too, in some of those scenes.
    Hey bfd, does your tv do subtitles? Sometimes I'll put the tv subtitles on instead of the dvd and it works much better.
    Yup, with donuts!!

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3391441;
    Hey bfd, does your tv do subtitles? Sometimes I'll put the tv subtitles on instead of the dvd and it works much better.
    hmmmm, never thought about that. i'll have to try it. thanks for the tip.

+ Reply to Thread