+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetNerd;3388026;
    Låt den rätte komma in Great piece of work. Both unnerving and touching.
    I have this one sitting on top of my DVD player waiting to be watched - I'm glad to hear it is a good one!

Let the Right One In (Låt den rätte komma in) - This was a very well made movie. I have never seen a vampire movie that was so calm and serene. It really was lovely and disturbing all at once. I was also left wondering about a lot of the characters. Like WTH was up with the dad and his creepy friend? Something really bad was going on there, but the movie kind of implied it without coming out and saying it. I also have a thought on the ending that I am spoilering for anyone who is planning to watch...
    Click to see Spoiler:
    On the surface I thought the ending was a little sweet because the friends ended up together, however we didn't end up knowing much about the man who was with the vampire from the beginning. Was Oskar "recruited" to take his place? If so, that makes the ending pretty sad IMO.

However, I was intrigued enough that I went out and bought the book yesterday. I love it when a movie gets me interested enough that I know there is more to the story and can't wait to pick up the book! I am only a little way in, but the Oskar in the book is striking me as a much less sympathetic character so far. I can already see that the ending may give me a completely different impression when I get there!

Max Payne - I wanted to like this one, but I was disappointed. It had the beginnings of an interesting storyline, but then it fell flat. I could pick out the good characters from the bad from the very beginning of the movie. I also wish I hadn't known it was based on a video game because the way the storyline was laid out was way too video gameish -- Set up story, find out information while overcoming obstacles, beat a series of bad guys until you have a showdown with the final boss. Visually it was interesting and the special effects were good, but the shooting up of the bad guys throughout the ending was way too over-the-top.
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 03-22-2009 at 01:08 PM. Reason: typo

ClosetRTWatcher
    Click to see Spoiler:
    The movie did not explain enough about the man that Eli was living with before meeting Oskar but the book goes into great detail. Many things are much more fleshed out in the book. Also, I agree that Oskar was less likeable in the book as well. A little stupid even. I preferred the climax of the book just before the ending, but liked that the movie took the ending just 1 step further.
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Milk - Even though I already knew the story, it was a gripping film. What an amazing actor Sean Penn is!
    Yup, with donuts!!

THE DUKES OF HAZZARD ("Unrated" version)

All in all a mindlessly entertaining movie, in the same way the TV show was. An OK way to spend the evening. I'm not sure what the "Rated" version would have been like, but there wasn't really any over the top violence, graphic sex, or overtly offensive anything to see why they had to have a different version. I've seen much more offensive stuff in R or even PG-13 movies.
    There were a few strangely out of place sequences put there for no apparant reason except for peep-show type reasons.
    1) The room full of toplessly playing college girls served no purpose at all to advance the story & could & should have been left on the cutting room floor.
    2) Willie Nelson (Uncle Jesse) sitting in the car & other places just rattling off a long stream of tasteless, off-color & not really even funny jokes not having anything at all to do with what was going on. It was totally out of place & stood out as really useless.

Nothing surprising in the story, but still kind of fun to watch.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3389422;
    Milk - Even though I already knew the story, it was a gripping film. What an amazing actor Sean Penn is!
    i just rented that one this weekend too. i have to admit i knew very little about the actual story ... all i knew was he was a gay politician that got killed in san francisco in the 70's. wow, were my eyes opened.

i agree, sean penn is an amazing actor. i found myself crying twice during the film.

i also rented rachel getting married. i was really looking forward to this one because i like anne hathaway and was interested in seeing her in something gritty. she definitely deserved that oscar nomination for her performance ... but i have to say she was the only thing i liked about the movie. other than her, i felt like there was nothing interesting ... no depth to the story, etc. dare i say it was b-o-r-i-n-g? there was so much potential but i just felt the whole movie was just thrown together to try to fill up two hours of my time.

HUGE disapointment.

Quote Originally Posted by barefootdyke;3389485;
    i also rented rachel getting married. i was really looking forward to this one because i like anne hathaway and was interested in seeing her in something gritty. she definitely deserved that oscar nomination for her performance ... but i have to say she was the only thing i liked about the movie. other than her, i felt like there was nothing interesting ... no depth to the story, etc. dare i say it was b-o-r-i-n-g? there was so much potential but i just felt the whole movie was just thrown together to try to fill up two hours of my time.

HUGE disapointment.
    Was it just me or did you find yourself wondering about who the heck these people were? They were having an Indian themed wedding, the fiance evidently spent time in Jamaica, there were lots of talented musicians (although the incessant playing did get highly annoying), all of the background players seemed like they had an interesting story behind them and the movie did not not capitalize on any of it. And the wedding reception segment went on for a small eternity and seemed rather useless. It also ended abruptly and with no explanation.

Bride Wars: watched it with my cousins. Typical chick flick wedding movie, but I loved watching it with them because of how excited they got by watching.

Nick & Norah-although not my typical type of movie, i thought it was cute and light-hearted. I liked it.
    ignorance is excellence

Smiley Face - I laughed until I was crying! I almost wet my pants! If you like comedies, this movie is so funny!
    Yup, with donuts!!

+ Reply to Thread