+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

FORT Fogey

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

I finally got to see W. last night. I thought it was some of Oliver Stone's better work. To me, his movies usually get bogged down in a long drawn out section of what Simon Cowell would call "self-indulgent nonsense", and that's where he starts to bore me to tears. Stone didn't seem to go there in this one, so it flowed nicely. I thought that Josh Brolin did a great job of picking up on the voice and mannerisms of Bush without going to far to the impersonation side. I was impressed. But on the flip side, some of the supporting actors went SO far to the impersonation side that it got really distracting for me. Everytime that Condi Rice or Colin Powell said anything, I ofund myself so distracted trying to figure out why they'd even attempt the voices they did if they were so far off the mark that i wasn't paying attention to what they were saying or doing.

Twilight: I saw it with my little cousins. One of whom has read all but the last book. And I loved seeing it with her. I don't think I'd have liked it half as much without her telling me about things and how it was in the books, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3374235;
    But on the flip side, some of the supporting actors went SO far to the impersonation side that it got really distracting for me. Everytime that Condi Rice or Colin Powell said anything, I ofund myself so distracted trying to figure out why they'd even attempt the voices they did if they were so far off the mark that i wasn't paying attention to what they were saying or doing.
    I happened to glace back at the description on the Netflix sleeve after I watched this movie and noticed they were describing it as a "satire". Looking at it from that perspective, I thought the almost charicature-ish portrayals of Condi Rice and Colin Powell made more sense. Espcially with Condi, on top of the voice I thought it was almost creepy the way her character kowtowed to Bush in the film.

How to Lose Friends and Influence People - My recommendation is: don't waste your time watching this movie. I thought all of the characters were almost completely unlikeable, so I really wasn't rooting for any of them to end up with a happy ending. When one of the characters was supposed to go from being the big obtuse jerk to a likeable guy I didn't buy it at all.

Pacific Heights - I started thinking about this movie after watching Lakeview Terrace recently, so I thought I would watch it again. It is another "bad guy makes the good guy look like the bad guy" movies. I liked it just as much as I did the first time. I forgot how pretty Melanie Griffith was before she started with the cosmetic procedures. Michael Keaton was an excellent villain!

Towelhead - Described as the coming-of-age story of a 13 yo half-Lebanese girl dealing with puberty and an overbearing father. I expected to like this movie. It dealt with a number of very valid issues: the confusion of being a young teen, racism, divorced and unattentive parents, highly overbearing parents, physical abuse, sexual abuse, etc... It managed to hit on these issues and had good acting, but I still thought the topics were handled poorly. I think my biggest problem with the movie was the way they handled the sexuality of a young teen - having been a teen girl at one point in my life, I found it completely unbelieveable. I don't believe the actress in the role was at all to blame, I think she was acting the role that was given to her.

ETA: I can't wait to see Religulous! It is at the top of my queue and I hope Netflix gets around to sending it to me soon!!!

FORT Newbie

I just watched Gremlins for the first time. I'm pretty sure that my next pet will be named Gizmo
    ]

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

just don't feed him after midnight ... and NEVER get him wet!

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3375450;
    How to Lose Friends and Influence People - My recommendation is: don't waste your time watching this movie. I thought all of the characters were almost completely unlikeable, so I really wasn't rooting for any of them to end up with a happy ending. When one of the characters was supposed to go from being the big obtuse jerk to a likeable guy I didn't buy it at all.
    I agree with you on this one. I'm not really a Simon Pegg kind of humor fan and this one wasn't as bad as some I've seen, but it was just blah for me.

Oh, and I think it's How to Lose Friends and Alienate People
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel;3376453;
    I agree with you on this one. I'm not really a Simon Pegg kind of humor fan and this one wasn't as bad as some I've seen, but it was just blah for me.

well that sucks. i love simon pegg, so maybe i will feel differently. i have it on netflix in my queue, but now im tempted to cancel it.
    ignorance is excellence

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel;3376453;

GAH! Thanks for the correction. I always have to deliberately distinguish it in my head from the book "How to Win Friends and Influence People". I guess I didn't do such a good job distinguishing that time!

Okay. I just had a total blast from the past moment today. I rented an old 1978 movie that I grew up with. The Cat From Outer Space. And it was just as cute and funny as I remembered it. I can remember watching it every year when they used to air it on TV. That and the Witch Mountain movies. The funny thing about it is I was just talking about this movie with a friend from church just last week. And then I was searching through On Demand and there it was under "Movies for under $3". My husband had never seen it so we watched it together. I had forgotten what a great cast was in it. 2 people from M*A*S*H, the son from Mama's Family, Sandy Duncan, Roddy McDowell. It was great to go back into my childhood a little.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

+ Reply to Thread