+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

Closet re: the Duchess
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I didn't really think the Duke was a bad guy, just too logical and duty bound. He embarassed his wife but (in keeping with the times) he didn't beat her or any of the other things he could have done with his 'chattel'. I have a hard time getting my head around the expectations of the time. I would have given the whole world the two finger salute (it is Britian after all )
    I loved this movie, the hair, the costumes, the fact that the Duchess was so outspoken and politically active when it was unheard of for a woman to be so vociferous... and her husband didn't interfere!
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

I saw Kung-Fu Panda and really enjoyed it.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

FORT Fogey

I watched Tootsie last night for the first time in YEARS. It is unquestionably movie that truly deserves the description of "one that holds up". ALL of the key themes in the movie are things that are still relatable today. If it weren't for some of Jessica Lange's horrid costumes (kind of hard to tell from the outfits that she was in that she was the hottie of that movie) and some of the older labels on products used as props, there'd be every reason to think the story was taking place today.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

i LOVE that movie!!! and i loved jessica's outfits ... but i have always liked those styles. i wish they'd come back.

oh, and i agree ... jessica was HOT.

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;3273619;
    Closet re: the Duchess
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I didn't really think the Duke was a bad guy, just too logical and duty bound. He embarassed his wife but (in keeping with the times) he didn't beat her or any of the other things he could have done with his 'chattel'. I have a hard time getting my head around the expectations of the time. I would have given the whole world the two finger salute (it is Britian after all )
    I loved this movie, the hair, the costumes, the fact that the Duchess was so outspoken and politically active when it was unheard of for a woman to be so vociferous... and her husband didn't interfere!
    Really?? I thought the Duke
    Click to see Spoiler:
    was a complete a$$. On the one hand, I have to agree that he did not have to let her be politically involved. But on the other hand I could not get past that he basically forced an affair on her best friend and then refused to send her away from their home. If she wanted to be with her children she was forced to live in a home where her husband had basically chosen another woman over her. I realize it was a different time, but I cannot help but think about how I would feel in her situation. It would be nearly intolerable. Just makes me glad I was born in America in a day and age when women have so many more rights!!

American Gangster - with Denzel and Russell Crowe. What could be bad about that?

Hell Boy II: The Golden Army - I really had no desire to see this movie until I found out that the people who did Pan's Labyrinth were involved (I absolutely loved that movie). As far as this movie is concerned, the storyline was okay. However, it was absolutely worth watching for the special effects alone!! It was beautifully filmed and the creatures were outstanding!!!

Righteous Kill - It was okay. It started out pretty good, but started to lose my attention at some point. I kind of dozed off thry the middle 30 minutes or so and woke up before the important stuff at the end started. The ending was pretty good too, but I didn't feel like I missed anything at all in the part I slept thru.

My Best Friend's Girl - I actually enjoyed this movie. Although I enjoyed the movie I thought it went way overboard on the swearing and and "graphic content". My 15 and 13 year old kids wanted to see it and I couldn't let them watch. However, I thought it would have been really easy for them to make this movie just as funny but keep it clean enough for younger teens.

Traitor: It was good. It was honest. And even with subtitles, it was good! I'm not a subtitles fan.

The Express - About the first African American college football player to win the Heisman trophy. It was a heartwarming sports movie. I had no previous of this player so I had no idea what to expect. I'm going to withhold commenting specifically on the story so I don't ruin it for anyone else who doesn't know about this guy!

Burn After Reading - This was a really dark comedy. Brad Pitt was definitely the funniest character in this movie, he did a great job with his role. It was worth watching, but I think I expected more from it.

On a side note, is it just me or are they letting more "risque" things into rated R movies these days? I remember watching rated R movies regularly as a teen - certainly before I was 17. My memory of what made them rated R was some nudity and swearing. It seems to me that R rated movies lately are far more in your face with the content. On the other hand, maybe I am just getting conservative as a mom of teenagers...

+ Reply to Thread