Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

Florimel I like your description of The Walker - I'll get it tomorrow
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;3261953;
    Florimel I like your description of The Walker - I'll get it tomorrow
    I'll be interested to see what you think of it, Duxxy.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I watched Eagle Eye over the weekend. I thought the premise was interesting. Overall it was good, but not great. It was fairly predictable, and would have been even more so if I had actually noticed that Jerry was a twin when they showed a photo of him and his brother early in the movie!!

FORT Newbie

I just watched The Serpent & the Rainbow for the first time and really wish I hadn't. Boooooring.

Wall-E: Loved it! Laughed out loud a few times. It was such a cute, endearing family movie.
    Stepbrothers: Now on the opposite end of family movies...but still thought it was really good. I thoroughly enjoy these kinds of movies though. Don't ask me why

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

i watched "mamma mia!" over the weekend. i seriously don't understand what all the hype is about. i thought it was horrible. the least they could have done was cast people in it that COULD SING? oh, my ears!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by barefootdyke;3265408;
    i watched "mamma mia!" over the weekend. i seriously don't understand what all the hype is about. i thought it was horrible. the least they could have done was cast people in it that COULD SING? oh, my ears!
    I was bias on this one, because I'm a HUGE Abba fan but I can see where you're coming from. I thought the stage production of Mama Mia was outstanding. I don't think that it adapted to the screen nearly as well. I think they made the mistake of making the movie by simply taking what had been done on stage, adding more elaborate scenery, and calling it a movie. But it's not really a stage show that adapts to the screen that well. Compare it to something like Chicago, where they did not change the heart of the show, but made some BIG changes in order for it to make sense on the screen, and I think the non-creative adaptation on Mama Mia was a dissapointment.

I think that many of the performers in the movie did a great job. I think that Meryl Streep deserves a lot of the celebration that she got for it (although I think some of that came from people saying "She can sing?" which shows they haven't been paying attention to her). But the people who could NOT sing and were cast anyway were a big problem. Collin Firth wasn't great, and Pierce Brosnan was so bad that he was distracting.

To me, the highlight of the stage show of Mama Mia was that it was just FUN. I think that they figured that would be enough for the movie, and it was fun. But by playing it so straight, I think they left too many distractions in the movie. Where on stage you see a big dance number and think "wow, that was good" in a movie, you see a big dance number and tend to think "Why is the entire town dancing on a pier all the sudden?"

Ghost Town - Very cute and quite funny! Even mr buglover enjoyed it and he isn't one for movies with plots!
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

You know I am an Abba fan and have no desire to see the movie Mama Mia for that very reason that I heard it doesnt' translate well. Some Broadway shows should stay Broadway shows and not be movies.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3265503;
    You know I am an Abba fan and have no desire to see the movie Mama Mia for that very reason that I heard it doesnt' translate well. Some Broadway shows should stay Broadway shows and not be movies.
    This discussion has inspired me to go to imeem and listen to Take a Chance On Me - my fav Abba song

+ Reply to Thread