+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3234459;
    Has anyone seen Get Smart who was a fan of the original tv series? I'm afraid I won't like the movie because I loved the tv show.
    I am familiar with the original, but it might be a stretch to call myself a "fan". I watched it in syndication as a kid, but I'm still going to throw my 2 cents in here.
    I thought the movie did a good job representing the characters without trying to be a carbon copy of them...Max as the well intentioned agent for whom nothing seems to go right but everything works out in the end....99 as the beautiful and smart agent who finds Max endearing... During the movie I didn't find myself drawing direct comparisons with the show. However, I suppose that might be because my memories of it are not as strong as they could be with people who were more dedicated viewers.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - I found it really enjoyable and I thought the interaction between Harrison Ford and Shia LaBeouf was great. I also really like Cate Blanchett and her performance here was no exception (I didn't even realize she was in the movie beforehand). That said, I thought the whole premise behind the crystal skull was a little weird (no details because I don't want to spoil anything for the few left who haven't seen it). And I am guessing that the early scene at the nuclear test site was to set the stage of the era the movie was taking place in, but I thought it was completely random and like they were just looking for an excuse to blow stuff up.

The Education of Shelby Knox - Documentary about a girl who has grown up in Lubbock, Texas and decides that the abstinence-only sex education policy is not working (as is evidenced by the high teen pregnancy rate there) so she decides to try to change things. Overall it was pretty good. I thought the interaction between her and her religious/conservative/Republican parents was really interesting. I have a lot of respect for the fact that they supported her fight even though they did not support what she was fighting for. The most disturbing part for me was when she was having a discussion with Pastor Ed Ainsworth and he actually said something like "Christianity is the most intolerant religion in the world" and he didn't seem to have the slightest problem with this assertion. She, on the other hand, was clearly dealing with some internal struggles with how to reconcile her religious background with her belief in tolerance.

The Incredible Hulk - Enjoyed it, especially the tie-in to
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Iron Man

Sex and the City - I thought it was pretty good. Since I didn't have HBO for most of the series, I'm not as critical about the movie as long time fans. It was funny, serious, sad and happy all in one. I don't know that I'd want to see a sequel though as I'm afraid they'd have to have more drama and I'd rather remember the women as happy.

Forgetting Sarah Marshall - woah! I was NOT expecting the
    Click to see Spoiler:
    full frontal nudity several times
    . I'm not a prude but thought it was unnecessary. And some of the other sexual content was not something I expected to see in this sort of romantic comedy. It was over the top at times. Even if that's what they were going for, it was too distracting for me. There's a time and place for that sort of thing (SATC for example, since if you've watched the series you'd expect it in the movie) but it really kept me from enjoying the movie as much as I wanted to. I did like the
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Dracula puppet opera
    and saw on the bonus material that Jason Segel actually wrote that in real life and decided to incorporate it into the movie. I also thought Mila Kunis was pretty good in this, she's turned into a really good actress from her "That 70's Show" days.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

Ju-On and Ju-On 2 (The Grudge & The Grudge 2-original Japanese versions): Meh. They were okay but I definately liked the Americanized versions much better. I have one huge question about the Japanese version for any who have seen it or maybe even studied the culture a little. In the 1st movie, This one girl (one of the would-be victims) was terrified of anything to do with cats. She went so far as to turn all the cat statues away from her so she wouldn't see their faces. At first I thought maybe they were considered "evil" or something in Japanese culture but I just looked it up and cats were actually considered very lucky in Japanese culture so my question is, why all the fear? This was before she even saw or heard anything. The actor who portrayed the little boy in both these movies looked exactly like the one in the American version, too. I'm going to IMDB it but does anyone know if it's the same kid?
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

Sorry for the double post but I did have one other question regarding Japanese culture. In one scene, one of the girls shows up at the school looking for her boyfriend. She looks like she's at least in Jr. High or something but when asked what grade she is in, she says "Second Grade Class 4". Do their schools do grades differently? I was totally confused by this.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

"Sex and the City" and I really liked it! It was so much fun to curl up on my couch and watch a new "episode". I hope that they make more.

Speed Racer - I liked it much more that I expected. It was a very stylized film, and I always find those interesting to watch. There were a couple of places where I found my attention lacking, but it seemed to pick up again. I gave it 3 out of 5 stars on Netflix.

Hulk - Arrrrgh!!! I added this movie to my Netflix queue thinking I was adding the new version, but that one is listed as The Incredible Hulk!!! I sat down to watch it yesterday and realized what happened as soon as I saw the "coming soon to DVD" preview for Bruce Almighty! I turned it off immediately and put it back in the mail. Gah - I hated this version of the story the first time I saw it.

Doing a lap before I commit to a location

We watched "Baby Mama" On Demand last night. Pretty good. Laugh out loud in some parts, lame in others, gross in still others. Predictable, but funny. We had a good time laughing at some of the lunacy.

Tonight after BL I want to watch "Forgetting Sarah Marshall"....
    Could does not mean should

Hancock - Watched this with the family after Thanksgiving dinner. We all really enjoyed it. I liked the different take on the superhero story and we all thought it was quite funny!

Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2 - horrible. The first one was so good, but this one was just plain stupid & annoying. I hated it.

National Treasure 2 - it was alright. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either.

Indiana Jones & the Crystal Skull (or whatever it was called) - I was so disappointed I love Harrison Ford & Shia LaBeof (I'm sure I butchered his name), but this was just "meh".
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

+ Reply to Thread