+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

MRD

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

Quote Originally Posted by ElizabethG;3219422;
    Iron Man: I never really care too much for Robert Downey, Jr. but my husband wanted to rent this and I was pleasantly surprised. I'd watch it again.
    Leatherheads- loved George Clooney and Renee Zellwegger in this and the guy from The Office, can't remember his name. Curious as to whether this was based on a true story or not - anyone know? Not really into following football and did not realize that college ball back in the early days totally eclipsed pro ball. Guess I should have realized that. I do think that Clooney is beginning to "mug" in his movies a little much, though.
    I still haven't even seen it.

It's loosely based on the Duluth Eskimos pro team and a man by the name of Johnny Blood McNally who is in the pro football hall of fame. He served in WWII as a cryptographer. No War hero status.

We've become something of an "expert" on this movie as it was filmed here and for weeks the movie and George Clooney and Renee Zellweger topped the evening news eclipsing real news like fires and shootings and such. And the newspaper devoted mucho space to it and even had a daily countdown until the premiere. The entire town went Hollywood crazy which prompted one of the local theatres to put on a production called "Chasing George Clooney" which I understand was very funny. I missed that as well.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Out of Control: I haven't seen Get Smart so I don't know if there's a lot that followed from it, but I thought it was charmingly cute. I loved "Bruce" and "Lloyd". They were great.
    Felon: An interesting portrayal of what could happen in the prison system. I don't know how I feel about the movie as a whole, but I did find it interesting.
    The Last Hour: Ack, it wasn't that good at all. It did have me surprised as I didn't guess the mastermind, but otherwise, just another C-movie.

MRD

The Sting. I'm still on my Paul Newman kick and we still don't have tv yet, so I'm going with DVD's.

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;3220366;
    Out of Control: I haven't seen Get Smart so I don't know if there's a lot that followed from it, but I thought it was charmingly cute. I loved "Bruce" and "Lloyd". They were great.
    I thought it was cute as well. And it was funny that the actor/actress who play Hiro/Charlie from Heroes ended up as a couple in this movie as well.

The Golden Compass - it was fine but it ended abruptly, as if to make way for a sequel that I don't think will happen (as the movie didn't do that well at the box office).

Baby Mama - a few laughs. Mostly predictable but I do like Tina Fey.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Fire - Indian film, but English is the spoken language in it. It is labeled a "gay and lesbian" film and was very controversial in India - the DVD has news reports on it that were quite interesting. It is basically the story of two women in loveless marriages in a joined family who end up falling in love with each other. I saw it more as the story of two people who were looking for caring and affection and turned to each other because their husbands were shutting them out. It also touched on the male side of it and gave you a sense of the struggle the men were going through in their relationships, pointing out that arranged marriage can be difficult for both parties involved. There was a great deal of character struggle between duty/tradition vs personal desires. It was an interesting movie. The version I got from Netflix was unrated so I didn't really know what to expect - there is a brief bit of nudity, but there is other activity that is strongly implied so this is definitely not a movie for kids.

American Blackout - This is a documentary advertised as a film about the disenfranchisement of black voters in America. It was made in 2006, so before any concerns had been raised about the upcoming election. I thought the focus on Cynthia McKinney (former Congresswoman from Georgia) was a little heavy, but it was interesting because I was not familiar with her and she is a classic example of how cross-over voting in the primaries can screw with the results of an election. It also discussed issues of voter disenfranchisement in Florida in 2000 and Ohio in 2004. Interesting movie, made me a bit more worried about what might happen in the upcoming election.
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 10-21-2008 at 11:11 AM. Reason: clarify comment

Sex and the City - Loved it! What a great movie! I cried, I laughed, it was nearly perfect!
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3220828;
    [

American Blackout - This is a documentary advertised as a film about the disenfranchisement of black voters in America. It was made in 2006, so before any concerns had been raised about the upcoming election. I thought the focus on Cynthia McKinney (former Congresswoman from Georgia) was a little heavy, but it was interesting because I was not familiar with her and she is a classic example of how cross-over voting in the primaries can screw with the results of an election. It also discussed issues of voter disenfranchisement in Florida in 2000 and Ohio in 2004. Interesting movie, made me a bit more worried about what might happen in the upcoming election.
    Sounds interesting. The Florida disinfranchisement of 2000 was pretty bad.
    Have you seen Recount? It was an HBO film. Almost makes your stomach turn.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3221034;
    Have you seen Recount? It was an HBO film. Almost makes your stomach turn.
    I have not watched it yet. It seems like every time I go to check out what is on HBO, one of the channels is halfway thru that movie, and I want to watch it from beginning to end! I need to start looking ahead in the listings and find a time that I can plan to sit down and watch it!!

ETA - why is it that I have no trouble saying the word "disenfranchise", but the word "disenfranchisement" feels like a tongue twister!?

Ice Spiders: Baaaah, a bad bad f-list movie. It's like Snakes on a Plane, only WAY worse.
    In the Name of the King: I really liked it. I thought it was a good movie and I was surprised at the number of recognizeable faces for a movie I've never heard of.
    Resurrecting the Champ: Another good movie. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL
    The Golden Compass - it was fine but it ended abruptly, as if to make way for a sequel that I don't think will happen (as the movie didn't do that well at the box office).
    Actually, they are supposed to be making a sequel from what I heard.
    ETA: I just checked IMDB and Wiki and yes they will be making the 2nd movie. The Golden Compass is the 1st in a trilogy of stories by Phillip Pullman (actually the original title of the Golden Compass book is Northern Lights but here it's called The Golden Compass). The 2nd novel is The Subtle Knife and the 3rd is The Amber Spyglass. I looked up The Subtle Knife on IMDB and it gave 2009 as a release. I couldn't access anymore info because it's on IMDB Pro and you have to pay for that.
    Last edited by nilesgirl; 10-22-2008 at 06:05 AM.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

+ Reply to Thread