+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

MRD

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;3206668;
    Leatherheads: Granted I watched it in the comfort of my own bed, but it wasn't that bad at all. In fact I thought it was pretty cute. Normally I'm not a fan of Renee, but I thought her role was well done. As were George and John's. I think it was a tad bit long, but other than that, it was a solid light-hearted movie.
    That was filmed here and everyone in town was George Clooney crazy for a while. I haven't seen it yet. I have been meaning too, but haven't. They used Furman University for the football scenes and downtown Greer for the city scenes. The newspaper had a countdown to the movies release for months until it finally came out. But I had heard it was awful and just haven't gotten around to seeing it yet. Glad to hear it's not so horrible. Maybe one day I'll get around to watching it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3210067;
    That was filmed here and everyone in town was George Clooney crazy for a while. I haven't seen it yet. I have been meaning too, but haven't. They used Furman University for the football scenes and downtown Greer for the city scenes. The newspaper had a countdown to the movies release for months until it finally came out. But I had heard it was awful and just haven't gotten around to seeing it yet. Glad to hear it's not so horrible. Maybe one day I'll get around to watching it.
    It's not awful, but it's not great either. I liked the football scenes quite a bit. It just didn't flow as well as it should of. It tried too hard to be a 1940's fast talking comedy. But there are some good scenes in the movies.
    The movie is better as a rental I think because I don't have as high of expectations with a rental than when I pay $9.50 a ticket to see a movie.
    Treat me with respect and I'll treat you with respect.

Leatherheads - It sounds like my opinion is about the same as the others here. It was okay, had its cute moments.

Little Miss Sunshine - I had avoided this one because it seemed like another "dysfunctional family comedy" and I generally don't see the humor in that type of movie. I decided to watch it because my parents told me I just had to watch it. It was pretty much exactly what I expected. It was okay, it had some funny moments, but I didn't think it was hilarious.

Sex and the City: The Movie - I was never a dedicated viewer of the show, but I have watched some episodes here and there and I know the general storyline of the show. I really enjoyed movie.

Veer-Zaara - This was my second look at "stereotypical Bollywood". This one was newer than the last one I picked up (it was at least from this decade). Completely coincidentally the lead actor in this movie was the same as the last one I watched! This one had much better film quality, and the acting was less melodramatic. Still lots of singing and dancing. It was still realllly long, but I enjoyed this one quite a bit and I cried a ridiculous amount throughout the ending.

Quote Originally Posted by onei0091;3206192;
    It's been awhile since I've seen the movie, but I got the sense that she was stoic because she had to be. She had to be strong and on her toes - those around her (the other wives) weren't her friends, they were really competitors. It was just a way for her to survive. It also seemed to be reflective of that society:

The Chinese government didn't approve of Raise the Red Lantern, and, if you look just below the simple-yet-effective surface story, it's easy to understand why. As structured, this film can be seen as a parable for the corruption of modern society in China. Songlian is the individual, the master is the government, and the customs of the house are the laws of the country. It's an archaic system that rewards those who play within the rules and destroys those who violate them. And, when an atrocity occurs (as it did in Tiannamen Square), not only is culpability denied, but the entire incident is claimed not to have happened.

If she broke down or let her guard down, she would be destroyed. Her ranking in the family would have gone down and the other wives would have exploited her weakness.
    Interesting viewpoint.

It turned out that this movie was actually based on a novella that was one of a trio of stories in the written publication. The story was an interesting contrast to the film. The character of Songlian seemed much more affectionate toward the Master and the interaction between them came off much differently in the story. The incident that led of to the death of Swallow was also different. While I got a hint of what might have been a connection between Songlian and the Master's oldest son in the movie, there was much more to it in the story. And the "mysterious shed" in the movie was a well in the novella and was a central thematic element.

It really seemed like the novella was the "inspiration" for the movie. I felt like I was reading about the same characters, but about incidents that were not shown in the movie - almost like it was additional material to the same overall story.

The Invisible: Not at all like I expected. I really enjoyed this movie. Justin Chatwin was so adorable. I thought it was going to be some wacked out ghost story but it really wasn't. I loved it.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

The Ruins: Blaaaah, I was not impressed with it at all. It wasn't scary, nor gory.. just lame.
    Iron Man: It was a tad long, but otherwise, I enjoyed it. ALthough I have to ask.. what exactly was the storyline?!
    88 Minutes: I really liked it. It was more psychological than gory and that really appealed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by canadian angel
    The Ruins: Blaaaah, I was not impressed with it at all. It wasn't scary, nor gory.. just lame.
    Oh, see, I kind of liked it. Not the best "thriller" I've ever seen but I thought it was good. I want to see Ironman but I don't know. I haven't really been into Robert Downey, Jr. since Less Than Zero (which by the way I absolutely LOVED).
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

RDJ is actually really fit for the role. I can see why so many critics really praised him for it. It's actually Gwenyth Paltrow that I find to be a bit stuck up for my liking, but even in this she wasn't bad.

I loved her in Sliding Doors. That was a really weird movie and very difficult to follow if you don't see it from the very beginning.

THe Flock: A dark movie. I don't know if it made it to theatres this summer? But it's a departure for Richard Gere and CLaire Danes. That's for sure.

+ Reply to Thread