+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3195650;
    I was also really impressed by the performance of Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Richard Riehle as the main characters. I recognized Joseph Gordon-Levitt as the kid on Third Rock from the Sun and I don't think I have ever seen Richard Riehle before. They both did a fantastic job portraying their respective (and completely opposite) characters!!
    Too late to edit my last post, but I got one of the actors wrong here. The second main character was played by Brady Corbet, not Richard Riehle. I was not previously familiar with either of them, so I didn't realize immediately that I had looked up the wrong name!

Vantage Point: Good movie. I enjoyed it for a Sat night movie, but it was pretty predictable. I wouldn't want to watch it again.
    Day of the Dead: Eh, it was the typical zombie movie.
    Starship Troopers 2: I fell asleep watching it. 'Nough said. I liked the first one too!
    Scorpion King 2: Definitely not what I expected. I think they would have done better to make it more action and less story.

Baby Mama - I really liked Tina Fey and Amy Pohler together on SNL, but I did not have high hopes for this movie because I am usually disappointed by movies from SNL alums. However, I was pleasantly surprised by this one. It was whacky, but also endearing. I enjoyed it.

The Forbidden Kingdom - Jackie Chan and Jet Li in a "ancient China fantasy-adventure". It was predictable, but also enjoyable.

Rendition - Premise is there is an explosion in a middle eastern country. The movie follows three storylines: (1) the middle eastern official that is the target of the suicide bomber & an American official whose co-worker was killed in the explosion (2) an American man of middle eastern descent is kidnapped at an airport and whisked away as a suspect in the above bombing. His wife tries to find out why he has disappeared. (3) the daughter of the middle eastern official and her clandestine relationship with a boy. It was okay. I can't say I really felt a connection to the characters, but I kept watching because I wanted to figure out how the storylines were going to tie together at the end. I did think the ending was interesting.

Saw several stinkers this week:

Redline: Lots of pretty cars going fast and lots of pretty people acting badly. And that's about it. At least it was short.

Breaking and Entering: A plodding character study that almost put me to sleep in the first 30 minutes. Jude Law plays an ass who cheats on his long-term girlfriend (a very tired looking Robin Wright Penn) with the mother of the boy who's been breaking into his business. Meh. I don't like Jude Law, so it probably didn't help me like this movie much.

Vacancy: A bickering married couple (Luke Wilson and Kate Beckinsale) break down in Nowheresville and of course, have to stay the night at The Creepy Motel. Creepy motel owner and his creepy friends like making snuff films with whoever is dumb enough to stay at this roach motel. Bad things happen. Once again, at least it's a short movie.

I need to be more selective with my Blockbuster queue...
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

The Love Guru - uggh. It was Austin Powers Does India imo. Aside from a few funny moments, I mostly forced myself to sit through the whole thing. I was embarrassed for Ben Kingsley to even be part of this crapfest.

The Forbidden Kingdom - I fell asleep the first viewing and watched it the next day. It was okay but not quite what I was expecting. It was mostly just a vehicle for Jackie Chan and Jet Li to show off their respective martial arts talent (which don't get me wrong, I like them both). Pretty much any martial arts movie these days has the same stunts - flying through the air, back and front flips, lots of arm combat, round kicks, etc. It was visually stunning the first time I saw it in House of Flying Daggers but now it's just become par for the course in these movies.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

Made of Honor - Romantic comedy with Patrick Dempsey. Very formulaic pretense, guy falls in love with girl, girl engaged to marry other guy, can guy break them up and get her to choose him? I don't mind this formula when it is done well, unfortunately this one was mediocre at best.

Raise the Red Lantern - Foreign film from 1991. In China a young woman goes to live as the fourth wife of a rich man. It deals mostly with the relationships between the wives and to an extent with their servants. It is a very good movie. The filming is great, the acting is great. It was a bit slow, but it fit the tone of the story. It definitely took a turn I wasn't expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3202423;
    Raise the Red Lantern - Foreign film from 1991. In China a young woman goes to live as the fourth wife of a rich man. It deals mostly with the relationships between the wives and to an extent with their servants. It is a very good movie. The filming is great, the acting is great. It was a bit slow, but it fit the tone of the story. It definitely took a turn I wasn't expecting.

Ooh, I loved that movie. Gong Li is so gorgeous, and the costumes were really wonderful.

I rented Murderball and The Confederate States of America this weekend. Murderball was a great documentary about quadriplegic rugby players. I was so worried about them getting hurt! They hurl their Mad Max looking wheelchairs into each at full force. The guys on the team were charming and funny. I would love to see one of their games live.

The Confederate States of America was an odd little movie. It was like a fake PBS history show about what if the South had won the civil war and slavery had never been abolished. Jefferson Davis was one of our founding fathers and Abe Lincoln was called "Dishonest Abe". The really clever part was the commercials they ran for some truly awful, racist products, like Sambo motor oil and Darkey toothpaste. Then at the end of the movie you find out they were really products that existed! That was pretty shocking to me.

I have a friend who is on a murderball team. They are champions 3 years in a row out in TX.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

Before The Devil Knows You're Dead

Starring Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Ethan Hawke. It's about two brothers who decide to rob their own parents' jewelry store. It goes terribly wrong and stuff happens that I won't tell you because I don't want to ruin it. I give it 4 out of 5 stars.

+ Reply to Thread