+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

I watched a few this weekend:

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day - Really enjoyed it! It was fun with characters that were easy to develop an affinity (or dislike) for. Francis McDormand and Amy Adams were both excellent in their roles!

Transformers - We actually bought this movie last Christmas and I just now got around to watching it. It was pretty enjoyable. Had some funny moments and very good special effects!

Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge - I rented this from Netflix, it was my first foray into "stereotypical Bollywood" (i.e., love story, singing, dancing, etc). Imdb says the literal translation of the title is "The Brave Heart Will Take the Bride".
    PROS:
    - It was fun, mostly lighthearted. Lots of singing/dancing, but also lots of dialog. It was pretty corny sometimes, but not necessarily in a bad way.
    - I found myself growing to like characters that I initially thought I would never like, you could really follow the development of the main relationship.
    CONS:
    - It was older than I was expecting (1995), but even at this age I expected better cinematography. The film quality was not great, but I was able to overlook it as the story progressed.
    - It was LOOOONG. 3 hours 1 minute. It seemed longer than was necessary to tell this particular story.
    - There was a fight scene at one point that was ridiculous. You could blatantly see that the characters were not actually being touched and I think they only had two sound effects: slap and gunshot, so the sounds did not match the action at all.
    CULTURAL DIFFERENCES:
    - The singing voices seemed very different from the speaking voices of the characters, which made it difficult for me to believe they were actually the voices of those actors. Particularly with the female lead, her singing voice seemed quite "nasally". I think it is just how this style of music is supposed to be sung, but to my ears it was a little grating at times. My kids complained more than once that they thought it was "annoying" - I told them it was good for them to be exposed to different types of music.
    - The female lead was absolutely beautiful, but I was constantly distracted by her eyebrows. They had obviously been shaped, but the groomers left the little hairs between her eyebrows, which made her look as if she was in the brink of a complete uni-brow!

Over the weekend I rented 4 movies... two of them being "What Happens In Vegas" and Prom Night.

Vegas, was very funny and entertaining, but I would have liked to have seen more scenes in Vegas. Heck, that's one of the reasons I rented it.
    It was still worth a watch, and I'll be in Vegas next week anyway. I'll get my fix then!

I also rented "Prom Night"... That one I really, really liked. I was expecting it to be a remake of the original from 1980, but it was a totally different movie altogether. This movie kept me on the edge of my seat. I love scary movies, so a big thumbs up here!

I still have 2 more movies to watch ("Shutter" and "P.S. I Love You")
    I'll let you know how I liked those after I watch them.

Prom Night (2008): It was good and I love Brittany Snow but I kind of wish I had something to compare it to. I never saw the original with JLC so I really had nothing to go by. What I saw really was good though. Man, that guy was creepy and he kind of looked a little like Billy Bob Thornton with his hair shaved like that. I saw him in 8MM 2 so I sort of already knew who he was.
    Gothic: What a sick movie. I'm rather annoyed that the only person I recognized was Byrne.
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre IV: What a waste of good talent. Matthew McConaghey (sp?) is far better than this. So is Renee Zellwegger. This was such a stupid stupid movie.
    21: I'm watching this right now. Very good so far. I'm impressed. Of course, I love Spacey so I know I'm going to like it no matter what.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

MRD

I watched Doomsday recently.

Why are all post-apopcalypic movies the same? This one was like Escape from New York meets Mad Max with a virus. And the survivors always dress like punk rockers from the 80's. Well except this one had some medevil castle stuff thrown in as well.

I'm not even sure why I watched the whole thing.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Alice, Sweet Alice: I haven't seen that movie in years and had forgotten almost all of it.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

Over the weekend:

Practical Magic: I don't think I ever watched this one before. It was okay. Nothing to write home about.

Rescue Dawn: This was a Vietnam War movie based on a true story with Christian Bale and Steve Zahn. The acting was good, it fit the period of the movie. There were some parts that were difficult to watch. It was not as fast-paced as I was expecting, but overall told the story it set out to tell. I think what was missing for me was the something that really "makes you think". If I am going to watch a movie about a war, I feel like I want to come out of it with a message that is bigger than the story being told.

Mysterious Skin: This movie is unrated and it is not in a "director's cut" kind of way, it is in a "they didn't accept the ratings board stamp" kind of way. I can only recommend this movie for adults. It was compelling to watch the story of the characters unfold, but it was difficult to watch at times because it deals with childhood sexual abuse. It also dealt heavily with topics of homosexuality so I would recommend that people stay far away from it if that makes them uncomfortable. It also left me wondering what was going to happen with the main characters. There was so much going on with them that was left unresolved.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3192511;
    Practical Magic: I don't think I ever watched this one before. It was okay. Nothing to write home about.
    that's one of my all-time favorite movies ... i LOVE sandra bullock, and everytime i hear that song "put the lime in the coconut" i can't help but giggle while remembering the kitchen scene.

Clearly, my husband and I are a little slow on the uptake, because this weekend we finally got around to renting "The Queen," with Helen Mirren, and "Atonement," with Keira Knightley and James McAvoy. We absolutely loved "The Queen." My husband is British, loves Helen Mirren and we were not disappointed in her portrayal of Queen Elizabeth. The movie was extremely well done, and more than likely represents the turmoil in the Royal Household immediately after the death of Princess Diana.

"Atonement" was a beautifully made movie, but as indicated by the title, not exactly your uplifting, happy ending film. The acting was brilliant, and I always enjoy the British movies that have a slightly convoluted plot. It makes you follow the sequence of events very closely, and if you do, the ending is not only poignant, but somewhat unexpected.
    Susan

I watched Starter For 10 last night. It's a charming British movie starring James McAvoy (he's so dreamy). It takes place during his character's freshman year at Bristol University. The movie is set in 1985, so the fashion and music are a lot of fun. I love all those all those moody 80's Brit bands.

ClosetRTWatcher I thought Mysterious Skin was an excellent movie. I really liked how the movies shows sexual abuse can affect children so differently.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    One boy blocks it completely out and believes he was abducted by aliens, and the other boy convinces himself it wasn't abuse, that it was a love affair.
    It was so well acted and directed as well. Very difficult to watch at times, but a good movie.

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3193348;
    ClosetRTWatcher I thought Mysterious Skin was an excellent movie. I really liked how the movies shows sexual abuse can affect children so differently. ...Very difficult to watch at times, but a good movie.
    I was also really impressed by the performance of Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Richard Riehle as the main characters. I recognized Joseph Gordon-Levitt as the kid on Third Rock from the Sun and I don't think I have ever seen Richard Riehle before. They both did a fantastic job portraying their respective (and completely opposite) characters!!

+ Reply to Thread