I watched a few this weekend:
Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day - Really enjoyed it! It was fun with characters that were easy to develop an affinity (or dislike) for. Francis McDormand and Amy Adams were both excellent in their roles!
Transformers - We actually bought this movie last Christmas and I just now got around to watching it. It was pretty enjoyable. Had some funny moments and very good special effects!
Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge - I rented this from Netflix, it was my first foray into "stereotypical Bollywood" (i.e., love story, singing, dancing, etc). Imdb says the literal translation of the title is "The Brave Heart Will Take the Bride".
- It was fun, mostly lighthearted. Lots of singing/dancing, but also lots of dialog. It was pretty corny sometimes, but not necessarily in a bad way.
- I found myself growing to like characters that I initially thought I would never like, you could really follow the development of the main relationship.
- It was older than I was expecting (1995), but even at this age I expected better cinematography. The film quality was not great, but I was able to overlook it as the story progressed.
- It was LOOOONG. 3 hours 1 minute. It seemed longer than was necessary to tell this particular story.
- There was a fight scene at one point that was ridiculous. You could blatantly see that the characters were not actually being touched and I think they only had two sound effects: slap and gunshot, so the sounds did not match the action at all.
- The singing voices seemed very different from the speaking voices of the characters, which made it difficult for me to believe they were actually the voices of those actors. Particularly with the female lead, her singing voice seemed quite "nasally". I think it is just how this style of music is supposed to be sung, but to my ears it was a little grating at times. My kids complained more than once that they thought it was "annoying" - I told them it was good for them to be exposed to different types of music.
- The female lead was absolutely beautiful, but I was constantly distracted by her eyebrows. They had obviously been shaped, but the groomers left the little hairs between her eyebrows, which made her look as if she was in the brink of a complete uni-brow!