+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

Quote Originally Posted by barefootdyke;3132555;
    i'm such a wuss when i watch scary movies ... i was just watching the trialer for shutter and my cell phone did the little text message ringtone and i about jumped out of my skin!
    Don't feel bad barefoot. Mr Buglover can't handle any scary movies at all. He closes his eyes when we watch CSI and there is a bloody scene on.
    Yup, with donuts!!

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

according to the netflix's site:

Q:What is a Netflix ready device?

A:A Netflix ready device allows you to watch movies instantly on your TV. Simply buy a Netflix ready device, plug it into your TV, and connect it to the Internet. Use your computer to make a list of movies and TV episodes you want to see at Netflix.com. Then, at your TV, use the remote control to select and play a movie or TV episode from your list. It will start playing in as little as 30 seconds.
    i don't think it's as great as it sounds. it says while they have over 10,000 movies, 'very few are new releases' because of contractural obligations. also there's no subtitles available on english movies (which i use all the time), etc.

for all of the details, read here: Netflix Online Movie Rentals - Rent DVDs, Classic Films to DVD New Releases

personally, i'm not interested in spending $100 for something just to watch older movies. not to mention, my computer is nowhere near the tv so hooking it up to both the internet and the tv would be very difficult.

Rush Hour 3.

It was pretty much drivel, but I was relatively entertained. I don't think I laughed once though.

Over the weekend my girlfriend bought a movie "Creep". Wow what a ride! I love horror so it was good for me. Don't rent it if you don't like scary stuff.
    Yup, with donuts!!

I just caught a movie on IFC called Legend of 1900. It was excellent. Rarely do I watch a movie that leaves me thinking about it long after it's over. It's about a man who was born on a cruise ship bringing immigrants to America and raised by a crew member. His "father" names him Danny Boodman (after himself) T.D. Lemon (after the box he was found in) 1900 (for the year he was born). Everone calls him 1900 throughout the movie. He grows up on the ship and becomes a top notch piano player. The person narrating the story is someone who also worked on the ship and became his friend. I won't tell you how it ends but it was one of the best I've seen in a long time.

I should clarify that the reason I put "father" in quotations is because he finds him as a baby in the dining room, presumably abandoned by the mother because she's probably a poor immigrant hoping a wealthy person will adopt the baby and give him a good life. But instead he's found by the crew member and lives his whole life on the ship. But he's loved and well taken care of.

I also watched the 2004 movie version of The Phantom of the Opera. I really enjoyed that as well. The girl who plays Christine (Emmy Rossum) has one of the most beautiful voices I've ever heard.
    Last edited by ArchieComic Fan; 07-20-2008 at 05:56 PM.

Mama's Boy- It was a really cute movie and mr buglover found it very funny. I wasn't laughing much but it may not have been the movie's fault...
    Yup, with donuts!!

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3127441;
    I rented Bonneville last night. I enjoyed it, but can't say I utterly adored it. The strengths of the 3 lead actresses (Kathy Bates, Jessica Lange, and Joan Allen) were effectively utilized, and I never contemplated turning it off. But it was more of your "typical women road movie" then anything extrodinarily special.
    i just finished watching this today. i agree, it was good, but not GREAT. i ended up giving it 3/5 starts on netflix. kathy bates was my favorite character

10,000 BC - Oh, man. How bad was this. A bunch of "cavemen" with nicely groomed goatees stomp about, fight with a rival tribe, and go off on a quest to retrieve some chick that was kidnapped from them. All while speaking perfect English. I thought it was incredibly stupid (and I wasn't expecting much, really) but we had a blast doing our own version of Mystery Science Theater 3000, making up dialogue and ripping on the movie.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

Rendition - It was just okay. The flashbacks were a nice twist. Honestly, I found it a little disturbing to think that this sort of thing actually happens in the name of homeland security.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd;3139404;
    10,000 BC - Oh, man. How bad was this. A bunch of "cavemen" with nicely groomed goatees stomp about, fight with a rival tribe, and go off on a quest to retrieve some chick that was kidnapped from them. All while speaking perfect English. I thought it was incredibly stupid (and I wasn't expecting much, really) but we had a blast doing our own version of Mystery Science Theater 3000, making up dialogue and ripping on the movie.
    I watched this movie over the weekend, but had a different take on it. Although, like you, I found myself questioning the timeframe versus their speech, ability to communicate with other tribes, locations in the world, etc. I found that I was overlooking all of the "logical" aspects and just enjoying the story. Overall I ended up liking it, but they definitely should not have tried to frame it as a "historical" movie!!
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 07-21-2008 at 02:01 PM. Reason: typo

+ Reply to Thread