+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

Watched Vantage Point. Overall it was a good action movie, however I got tired real quickly of the
    Click to see Spoiler:
    23 minutes earlier scenarios. There were just too many of them.
    Some of it was predictable, other points were a surprise. There's a car chase scene that's pretty good but it drags just a little too long. Wish there was a bigger part for Sigourney Weaver as she's one of my faves.

FORT Regular

Ripley's Game. Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3089028;
    I just watched World Trade Center.

I couldn't bring myself to watch it when it first came out. It was still a hard movie to watch.

LOVED Charlie Wilson's War DR. And I also loved the Great Debaters CW. I like movies like both of those, because then I will go and do research on the people and events they are about which I did as a result of both movies. So while some movies may not be as historically accurate, I like that they inspire me to learn more about the subjects and the people.
    World Trade Center is one of my all time favorite movies. It still stays with me to this day. I don't usually like Nick Cage, but, I thought he was excellent in this movie. It is unbelievable that it is a true story.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take; but, by the moments that take our breath away.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

i saw "world trade center" a while back and gave it 3 out of 5 stars on netflix. it was 'ok', i guess. what i liked better was the documentary "9/11" by the two french filmmakers that happened to be at one of the fire stations when it it all went down. now THAT one is still with me ...

FORT Fogey

I rented Bonneville last night. I enjoyed it, but can't say I utterly adored it. The strengths of the 3 lead actresses (Kathy Bates, Jessica Lange, and Joan Allen) were effectively utilized, and I never contemplated turning it off. But it was more of your "typical women road movie" then anything extrodinarily special.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

"bonneville" is one of the next movies on my list on netflix. i'd never heard of it but saw a trailer for it on another movie disc that i rented. it looked like a classic chick flick so i had to add it.

i just watched "gone baby gone" this weekend. i wasn't sure what to expect as i didn't really do much research on the story or the reviews. one big issue i had with the movie was i could barely understand what a few of the characters were saying, but i guess it's because they had the thick boston accent down so well. a couple of them were practically mumbling their lines, which after watching the bonus stuff, i find that i guess that's how they talk there. thank goodness for subtitles!

i really don't know how to even describe this movie. i ended up giving it 4/5 stars. it's about a young girl that was kidnapped and the struggles the cops and investigators have in the case. ultimately, this story appears to leave you with a question ... do you do the right thing, even if the consequences aren't all that desireable? it's not a 'happy happy joy joy' movie, that's for sure. at the end of it, i was left with such a sad and uncomfortable feeling ... but since that's how they wanted me to feel at the end, i guess they did their jobs.

i have to say (minor spoiler alert)
    Click to see Spoiler:
    that i never saw the big twist coming and that blew me away ... i still feel sooooo bad for that little girl.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3127005;
    I watched Fool's Gold earlier today.
    It had a few mildly funny moments, but overall wasn't great. It was far longer than necessary - I felt myself wanting it to hurry up and end. I was disappointed because I really like Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey.
    I have toyed with watching this one because I like the stars too, but I heard so many bad things about it.
    Sorry you had to endure it, but I think you saved me.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;3127020;
    Watched Vantage Point. Overall it was a good action movie, however I got tired real quickly of the
    Click to see Spoiler:
    23 minutes earlier scenarios. There were just too many of them.
    Some of it was predictable, other points were a surprise. There's a car chase scene that's pretty good but it drags just a little too long. Wish there was a bigger part for Sigourney Weaver as she's one of my faves.
    I saw this in the theater and like you got tired of it after a while.
    But it was fairly good action and surprises.
    In fact I had forgotten we saw it in the theater-guess it didn't leave a lasting impression. But it would be a good 90 minute time killer on a Sun. afternoon.
    It wasn't horrible, it's just how they went about it that kind of dragged a bit.
    Last edited by MRD; 07-13-2008 at 09:41 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Charlie Bartlett - About a prep-school kid that keeps getting expelled and ends up in public school. The main character reminded me of Ferris Bueller in that he had a rather formal affectation and seemed to have the ability to draw people in. It also reminded me a bit of the movie The Chumscrubber because it was made a number of points with the irony of the situation without completely spelling it out. I really enjoyed it.

Lars and the Real Girl - It was very good. I kinda wish that I hadn't read so many great reviews about it because it set my expectations really high and I don't think it was quite up to what I was expecting. It was slower moving than I thought it would be, but it was a "character study" kind of movie so I should have expected that. It really brought you in to each characters' inner dilemma and the reaction of the town was very heartwarming. I never thought a movie could get me teary-eyed over a doll!!

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;3113795;
    barefoot, I'm glad to read a good review about Georgia Rule. I've been debating on whether to see that one and think I'll give it a try. But I don't like really depressing movies. Is this one of them or do you feel pretty good by the end?

ACF I know you asked about this a week ago but I only just saw your post. I liked Georgia Rule too. I've seen it about 3 times now and it gets to me every time. Like barefoot, I wouldn't say it has a happy ending but it does have a satisfying outcome.

Has anyone seen Shoot 'em Up yet? It has Clive Owen in it so I was anxious to see this one. OMG!! It's the cheeziest 'shoot 'em up' movie I've seen that was released after 1955! I really hope it was intentional and the whole thing was meant to be tongue in cheek other wise.... OMG just SO bad! One good point: lots of sexy, brooding, unshaven Clive.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

My sister brought over Employee of the Month. Couldn't watch 15 minutes of it. Had to turn it off.

Rewatched Do the Right Thing on Encore the other night. Still one of my favorite films.

+ Reply to Thread