+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

No Country for Old Men - I hated it! I know it got great reviews but I found it dark and depressing. The ending brought no closure. The only redeeming factor was the humor from Javier Bardem's character. His portrayal of a ruthless psychotic killer was entertaining, even though his hairstyle was awful. In fact, I remember reading a quote from him about his hairstyle in this movie. He said something about not getting laid for two months with that look.

The Other Boleyn Girl
    - I'm a big sucker for this kind of movie. Loved it! Now I want to read the book and wish I'd done it first.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Drillbit Taylor - This was such a cute movie! I love Owen Wilson and he did a great job in this movie.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3109756;
    Drillbit Taylor - This was such a cute movie! I love Owen Wilson and he did a great job in this movie.
    Ohh yes! I loved it also. Very funny. Honestly, I didn't get to finish it because my friend was too tired and decided to go to bed. Plus, it wasn't fun to watch alone. I saw most of it though

The last movie I rented was "Remember the Daze"
    Yes, 'daze' is spelled correctly. I recomend this movie to anyone. The movie mostly concentrates on different teens and their lives. It definantly keeps you watching. "Remember the Daze" is a movie that makes everyone think about teenage life and going through High School.

Meet The Spartans: Not sure why I wasted my time on this movie. Perhaps just to see the woman was supposed to be Brittany Spears getting kicked into the giant pit of death. That alone was hilarious. The rest of the movie..Meh. It was alright. Loved seeing Kevin Sorbo and 2 of my favorite Mad TV ladies. But it was kind of lame IMO. I usually love those spoof movies (The Scary movie Quadrilogy, Not Another Teen Movie, etc..) but this just didn't live up to the funny factor of the others. I think I only chuckled a little once. Perhaps this is the directors' way of saying they won't be making anymore "spoof" movies. The only spoof movie I haven't seen yet (or don't remember seeing) was Epic Movie.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by lildago;3108804;
    No Country for Old Men - I hated it! I know it got great reviews but I found it dark and depressing. The ending brought no closure. The only redeeming factor was the humor from Javier Bardem's character. His portrayal of a ruthless psychotic killer was entertaining, even though his hairstyle was awful. In fact, I remember reading a quote from him about his hairstyle in this movie. He said something about not getting laid for two months with that look.

I didn't like it either and felt the same way you did about it.

We watched National Treasure 2 last night. Meh, wasn't as good as the first one and the bad guy wasn't all that bad either, he just didn't seem to be THAT motivated to be a bad guy. It just wasn't nearly as exciting, but darn it, now I want to know just what is on page 47 of that book! Talk about a set up for a sequel. I HATE when they make it THAT obvious and if there isn't one, I'm really going to be pissed because I want to know what is on page 47.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by lildago;3108804;
    The Other Boleyn Girl - I'm a big sucker for this kind of movie. Loved it! Now I want to read the book and wish I'd done it first.
    I liked the movie, but I thought that a lot of info must have gotten left out so I went out and bought the book the next day. I finished it yesterday!! The book was excellent - if you like the genre and the movie then I highly recommend reading the book. A few differences that I thought were really key (I'm spoiler-ing for anyone who doesn't want to know anything before reading the book):
    Click to see Spoiler:
    1. In the book Mary is always the first choice of the family to go after Henry and the girls were pretty much raised in court. I don't know why the movie made it look like they were brought up in the "country" and Anne was the inital choice for her family to put forward. To me this changed the feel of the story completely.

2. I liked the actor who played Henry when I watched the movie. However, the book covers a lot of years and the point is made that he is young and handsome at the beginning of the story, but has become fat, balding, and is generally a rather distasteful guy by the end of the book. I think the consistent look of the actor was part of the reason I felt like only a short window of time was covered in the movie.

3. Maybe I'm already mis-remembering the movie, but I believe there were many fewer pregnancies in the movie. In the book Anne's last miscarriage before she is put to death is her third after two completely hidden miscarriages. The stories related to her lost pregnancies are also MUCH more elaborate than the movie suggests.

4. In the movie the charges against Anne and her brother are portrayed as a "simple" case of adultery/incest. The book has a much more complicated scenario around the charges against Anne and the activities of her brother.

5. Mary's role is completely minimized in the movie. Her husband is pretty much lost after she takes up with Henry and Stafford just pops in and says "come away with me" at some point. Both of these men are prominently positioned in the book.

I finally rented the movie "Once" last weekend and promptly fell in love anew with Ireland.

Once you get accustomed to the thick, thick Dublin accent, you find a sweet little meandering movie about a guy singing his original songs on the street for coins and a girl that admires his music. They both share a wistful loneliness that matches up beautifully when put to music. The movie takes place over a week as she encourages him to chase his dream of getting his music heard and they both grow the confidence to resolve lingering relationships thought passed.

I had to run out and buy the soundtrack to this one immediately. Falling slowly, Lies, If You Want Me..... haunting and gorgeous!
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3112325;
    I finally rented the movie "Once" last weekend and promptly fell in love anew with Ireland.

Once you get accustomed to the thick, thick Dublin accent, you find a sweet little meandering movie about a guy singing his original songs on the street for coins and a girl that admires his music. They both share a wistful loneliness that matches up beautifully when put to music. The movie takes place over a week as she encourages him to chase his dream of getting his music heard and they both grow the confidence to resolve lingering relationships thought passed.

I had to run out and buy the soundtrack to this one immediately. Falling slowly, Lies, If You Want Me..... haunting and gorgeous!
    I felt exactly the same about that movie! Even just reading the names of the songs, they've started running through my head, and will probably be there all day ... but in this case, that's not a bad thing! Every time I see mention of this movie since I rented it, I just get this happy "awww" feeling in my heart! Oddly enough, I don't think it's the type of movie I'd buy so I could watch over and over and over again. But it is without a doubt one of my most favorite movies I've seen in quite a while.

I agree. I saw it for sale for $5 and was tempted to buy it... but did not. The music alone just provides me with all of the emotion that I felt for the movie. It's a special, special film.

"I don't know you....
    But I want you...
    All the more for that...
    Words fall through me...
    And always fool me...
    And I can't react
    And games that never amount
    To more than they're meant
    Will play themselves out....."

Now I'll be singing it all day, too.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

I recently saw Once as well and enjoyed it. I didn't think the movie itself was that great, but the soundtrack is phenomenal. I may watch it again if it comes on cable, but it's not a movie I'd buy or rent again.

We watched The Lives of Others this weekend and I loved that movie. I thought it was going to be a war movie for guys or filled with uncomfortable torture scenes. It was not what I expected at all. That one I would watch again. I'm sure I missed a bunch of things.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

+ Reply to Thread