+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

I just watched "Dead Man's Curve" and "Taboo" on On Demand yesterday. Here's my reviews.
    Dead Man's Curve: This had the same premis as "Dead Man On Campus" 2 students team up to kill their college roomate (and make it look like a suicide) in order to take advantage of the new university policies that state if your roomate kills himself, you get an automatic 4.0 for the semester. The movie starred Matthew Lillard (Scream, Wing Commander, Scooby-Doo, et al), Kerry Russell and Dana Delaney, who played the univerity counselor. This was a little bit darker than the comedy that was Dead Man on Campus and Matthew Lillard was almost scary during some of his plots and scheming. All in all a good movie. I thoroughly enjoyed it but it's probably because I love ML.
    Taboo: It's your typical revenge story. 6 students have a party one night and play a game of Taboo. No, not the board game with the buzzer. This game is done with note cards that may or may not reveal your deepest desires and your ugliest sexual sins. Each note card has a question typed on it. The cards are all face down and each person takes a card (without letting anyone else see what it is) and they right down their answer. All the cards are then placed back on the table face-down and then each person draws a different card and reads the question and the answer aloud.
    One year later, they all have a reunion and one of the student's house who is now engaged to one of the other students. It's New Year's Eve and it's just the 6 of them celebrating. A mysterious package arrives with 6 note cards. On the note cards are 6 accusations that match up with the questions and answers from the year before.
    Now, someone on IMDB gave a comment and said it was horrible. But I really really liked it. I only recognized one actor (Nick Stahl from Disturbing Behavior) but I thought it was very well done. It has you guessing the whole time about who's responsible. Just when you think you've figured it out, they throw another wrench into it. I love Nick Stahl and hope to see him in a lot more things in the future. He seems to be really good at the thrillers so hopefully, he'll do a lot more of those.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

my daughter rented semi-pro and said it was "okay". i tried to watch it, but i coudln't even get past the first 10 minutes. it was THAT awful. i don't think i've ever stopped watching a movie that quickly. while i enjoyed will farrel on saturday night live, i've only enjoyed one of his movies so far ... elf.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Jumper What a piece of crap!

MRD

27 dresses. It had it's moments, but overall it was just meh. Had I not been so bored otherwise, not sure if I would have finished it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David;3070089;
    Jumper What a piece of crap!
    See, I liked it. What didn't you like about it, Uncle David?
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3070162;
    27 dresses. It had it's moments, but overall it was just meh. Had I not been so bored otherwise, not sure if I would have finished it.
    Totally agree with you there, she was funny in it but I wasn't believing the love story there.

I on demand'ed PS I Love You, awesome, most definitely a PMS movie.
    They serenaded the newest champs in this city of champs, and taunted Kobe Bryant and his Lakers, who drowned in a green-and-white wave for 48 minutes.

Charade, with Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn. I absolutely love this movie, and I think it's near-perfect in execution. For those who haven't seen it, Reggie Lambert's (Hepburn) distant husband is murdered and thrown from a train, and it is revealed that he has stolen a large sum of money, which is now nowhere to be found. Lambert soon meets the mysterious and charming Peter Joshua (Grant) in Paris, in whom she confides as three eccentric goons begin to harass her. But is Joshua really who he claims to be? Shenanigans ensue. I highly recommend it--it's clever and extremely funny.

I also started on the HBO John Adams miniseries, which is excellent thus far. I'm into American history anyway, and this seems to be quite accurate, as well as having high production values and great acting performances.

And, finally, I just re-rented David Lynch's Lost Highway. It's the wildest, most unsettling, intriguing brain-bender of a movie that I think I've ever seen, and I have to watch it a few more times before I think I'll "get it." It concerns a free-jazz saxophonist who worries that his wife is unfaithful, who seems to be losing his grip on reality. I won't go on, because you have to see what happens next for yourselves. It features an absolutely chilling performance by Robert Blake, which is only augmented by . . . well, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantenna;3071337;
    I also started on the HBO John Adams miniseries, which is excellent thus far. I'm into American history anyway, and this seems to be quite accurate, as well as having high production values and great acting performances.
    I loved John Adams, Manny. I wasn't sure I'd watch it when they first announced it, but I watched one episode and got hooked! I actually renewed my HBO after it got turned off (subscription was up) the day before the next episode was supposed to air! I'll watch anything Laura Linney is in and I thought she and Paul Giamatti were excellent.

I finally saw Chaos Theory tonight. I'm a big Ryan Reynolds fan, so I'd been anxious to see this one. I enjoyed it, although it was hard to watch sometimes. Along those same lines, I also recently saw Grace is Gone starring John Cusack. It's about a man whose wife dies while serving in Iraq and, not knowing how to tell his two daughters about their mother's death, he takes them on a road trip in an attempt to figure out how to break the news. Completely different from the John Cusack we're used to seeing and definitely not a happy movie, but he gave such a terrific and heartbreaking performance. I highly recommend it, especially for Cusack fans.

I watched Fame the other night and was reminded of how great a movie it is. I did get a little teary-eyed watching Gene Anthony Ray dance, since he died several years ago. So much talent. That movie came out when I was a young dancer myself. It was a huge influence on me.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

MRD

If you liked John Adams the miniseries, the book is absolutely incredible. David McCollough won a pulitzer for that book. It's one of the most indepth biographies, but it's not boring at all. He really seems to have a feel for the character and brings that out.

It was fairly popular staying on the best seller list for over a year.

I will say that it did take me two attempts to read it, but only because I think I had overdosed on history before the first attempt and was just not ready for more. The 2nd time I liked it very much.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

OKay finally also on demand'ed Lars and the Real Girl...excellent movie, I would not have done so without the previous reviews from my fellow FORT'rs.

So thanks!
    They serenaded the newest champs in this city of champs, and taunted Kobe Bryant and his Lakers, who drowned in a green-and-white wave for 48 minutes.

+ Reply to Thread