+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

I watched No Country for Old Men last night. It was definitely a good movie, but I was left thinking "THAT won the best picture Oscar??" I was actually kind of mad at the ending, there was a bunch of conversational stuff that I found rather boring and then it just kind of trailed off... I'm usually pretty good at picking up on the "meaning" in movies, but if there was some kind of deep meaning in the retirement conversations Tommy Lee Jones was having, it escaped me.

It's sensei time! Masai & Pygmie's Avatar

Mrs Palfrey at the Claremont. Little known limited release from the UK with Joan Plowright and Rupert Friend. A little gem.

Plot: "All but abandoned by her family in a London retirement hotel, an elderly woman strikes up a curious friendship with a young writer."
    "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake." -- Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Masai & Pygmie;2959824;
    Mrs Palfrey at the Claremont. Little known limited release from the UK with Joan Plowright and Rupert Friend. A little gem.

Plot: "All but abandoned by her family in a London retirement hotel, an elderly woman strikes up a curious friendship with a young writer."
    I loved Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;2954121;
    That sounds interesting, but I can't find it on Netflix
    Here's the imdb link. It's not much, but it might give you a start where to look Boot Camp (2007)

Just watched Cloverfield. It was okay, the effects were decent....but it was shot like Blair Witch, with the handheld camera feel. If jerky camerawork makes you nauseous watching, stay away from this one. A good thing is that it's short, only 85 minutes or so.

They really lost me with the helicopter crash at the end, though. Nobody would have walked away from that.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd;2966083;
    Just watched Cloverfield. It was okay, the effects were decent....but it was shot like Blair Witch, with the handheld camera feel. If jerky camerawork makes you nauseous watching, stay away from this one. A good thing is that it's short, only 85 minutes or so.

They really lost me with the helicopter crash at the end, though. Nobody would have walked away from that.
    My husband and I watched it Thursday night and you pretty much summed up how we felt about it too. I kept thinking, who runs (all that time) with a video camera up to their face? We watched it based on the recommendation of our 21 yr. old son. You'd think we'd have learned by now that our taste and his are sometimes miles apart . I hear a sequel will be made.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

wow, and i was going to post that i LOVED cloverfield. but then again, i loved the blair witch project too. i don't get motion sickness, so that didn't bother me. in fact, i think the first person viewpoint of it played with my fears really well and kept me on the edge of my seat, and omigoodness, my heart was racing through most of it. instead of seeing everything from an outsider's view, going from scene to scene, getting the important details from every character involved, with this movie you only know as much as the person behind the camera knows ... and that's what freaks me out. i get scared by not knowing what's around the corner.

oh, and as for the rumor of there being a sequel, i got that feeling too, especially after watching some of the bonus stuff on the disc ... there was mention that this 'creature' was actually a baby, which tells me an angry mama may be appearing in the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;2966132;
    Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd;2966083;

My husband and I watched it Thursday night and you pretty much summed up how we felt about it too. I kept thinking, who runs (all that time) with a video camera up to their face? We watched it based on the recommendation of our 21 yr. old son. You'd think we'd have learned by now that our taste and his are sometimes miles apart . I hear a sequel will be made.
    Well, I'm 24 and I agree with you guys. It was bad. You two summer up exactly how I felt about it. Definitely not worth renting it. Wait till it comes to a movie channel.

Quote Originally Posted by barefootdyke;2966173;
    oh, and as for the rumor of there being a sequel, i got that feeling too, especially after watching some of the bonus stuff on the disc ... there was mention that this 'creature' was actually a baby, which tells me an angry mama may be appearing in the next one.
    Gawd. If that thing was a baby, I'd hate to see the full grown version.

Barefoot, didn't the guy holding the camera remind you of Adam from BB9 a bit?
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd;2966655;
    Barefoot, didn't the guy holding the camera remind you of Adam from BB9 a bit?
    yep, he did ... A LOT, actually but at least we could UNDERSTAND him!

+ Reply to Thread