+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

lars and the real girl ... wow, this movie was NOTHING like i expected. from the preview i saw on another dvd, it looked like it was going to be a silly little movie about a guy that buys one of those 'real doll' things men buy on the internet (the newest answer to the blow up doll LOL), so i rented it out of curiosity. instead, this movie completely blew me away with the touching story, the emotion it brought out in me (i cried twice!), and i am in complete appreciation for ryan gosling's acting skills. up until now, i haven't been that impressed with him ... and actually, i tended to NOT like him because of the first role i saw him in (murder by numbers) ... but wow, he did an awesome job.

unlike i expected, lars did not buy his "real doll" for sexual purposes ... instead, he has a mental illness that causes him to have difficulty dealing with real people ... so the doll becomes his imaginary girlfriend. this movie shows how his relationship with 'brianna' helps to bring him out of his hole, and how those who love him come to accept his 'issues' with love.

truly amazing movie .... i recommend it highly ... more than anything i've watched in the past couple of years.

Boot Camp: Based on a real life brainwashing camp that took in troubled teens under the guise of helping them change. It was actually a really well done somewhat indi film. It was disturbing though the reign that this camp had and the mental torture and anguish layed on the teens sent there. I highly recommend checking it out.

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;2937058;
    AVP: Requim I was so disappointed in this movie. I loved the other AVP with the deep ice excavation, but this one just lacked so much motivation, heart, the same essence of what the other movie had. It literally just seemed to melt away on the screen to me. It all blurred together.
    We just watched this tonight and I agree that it was a major disappointment. It was boring. And stupidly cheesy. The first AVP was cheesy, don't get me wrong, with the whole ending and the branding and stuff, but how you got there was okay. This one was just the crappiest of crap. In half of the fight scenes I couldn't tell who was who. And at the end when the little girl said "Are the monsters gone, mommy?" UGH! I couldn't even tell if the ultimate "monster" was cool because we never got a really good shot of it. Didn't matter much, I guess. I'm glad I didn't buy this one and just rented it.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

I watched Enchanted today. What a fun movie! I love the songs. I wish I was as perky and energetic as Giselle .

Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story: Wow, it was not my taste at all. I don't know why, but I thought it was just absolutely brutal. It was so bad. I did not like it at all. It just..was absolutely terrible in my opinion and I was looking forward to it.

I Robot. I felt like watching it again. It was gorgeous. Will Smith is obviously fantastic and the robots were so goshdarn cute!
    2003-2008.

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;2950972;
    Boot Camp: Based on a real life brainwashing camp that took in troubled teens under the guise of helping them change. It was actually a really well done somewhat indi film. It was disturbing though the reign that this camp had and the mental torture and anguish layed on the teens sent there. I highly recommend checking it out.
    That sounds interesting, but I can't find it on Netflix

This weekend I finally finished watching There Will Be Blood. I still think that Daniel Day Lewis was stellar in this role, but he almost did too good a job making his character someone that was completely repugnant. The sad "moral" of the story was clear, but I really had no empathy for the guy.

Lust, Caution: A foreign film by Ang Lee (Crouching Tiger, Brokeback Mountain). First of all a word of caution - this movie REALLY earned its NC-17 rating!! Story of a girl who was involved in the Chinese resistance against Japanese occupation during WWII, takes place in Shanghai and Hong Kong. It was beautifully filmed and was a good story. My only complaint (if you can call it that) is that I ended up a little perplexed about her feelings and motives by the end of the movie. I just wish that what she was thinking had been a little clearer, but it may have been intentional - maybe that the viewer is supposed to decide that for themselves...

This weekend we saw Michael Clayton and Bully, both excellent movies. I know that Clooney got a lot of accolades for his role in Michael Clayton, but I have to give my biggest round of applause to Tom Wilkinson, who was absolutely fantastic in his role. Mr. Rattus, on the other hand, can't say enough good things about Tilda Swinton (and she was good). Overall, a very good film.

Bully is something I've been meaning to see for a couple of years, but other things (and movies) kept getting in the way. That was the movie we ended up talking about on our drive out of town the following day. It was really quite amazing how much we could find to say about such stupid people with such pointless lives who committed such a stupid and needless act of violence. A fascinating view of a part of society I have had little contact with.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I absolutely agree with Rattus about Michael Clayton. I enjoyed this film immensely. All the performances were excellent, but Tom Wilkinson was amazing.

I just watched another little gem of a film, The Sweet Hereafter. It takes some concentration to watch this because it's a very cerebral film with not much action. It does jump around in time and is told from several characters' viewpoints as was the novel it's based upon. The novelist, Russel Banks, actually has a cameo role in the film.

Anyway, it deals with the crash of a school bus in a small mountain town in Canada, and the repercussions of that event on the townspeople and on a lawyer who come to town. The lawyer is played by Ian Holm (the beloved Bilbo Baggins); his performance alone would have been enough to keep me mesmerized.

This movie isn't new, it's from 1997, but well worth watching for those who like this kind of story.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;2951442;
    I watched Enchanted today. What a fun movie! I love the songs. I wish I was as perky and energetic as Giselle .
    Just watched Enchanted as well and really loved it. The story seemed a little weird at the end, but I was reminded that all aspects of this movie were pulled from other fairy tales, and the evil step-mother turning into the dragon was actually from Sleeping Beauty.

I thought Amy Adams was brilliant, and I had never heard (or seen) her before. It was a shame that 3 songs were nominated for the Oscar and none won, probably because they cannibalized each others votes. "That's How You Know" is the best musical numbers I've seen in years and worth checking out by itself.

My only question is how did they manage to cast Idina Menzel in a musical supporting role and not have her sing? I kept waiting and waiting for her.

Also watched Atonement and thought it was good, but probably made a better book. The director was trying a little to hard to make it an animated postcard.
    Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have.

+ Reply to Thread