+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

I just re-lived the late sixties, early seventies with Across The Universe. This is a beautifully crafted film that takes the age from inocence to angst using Beatle songs to pave the way. It is gorgeous. It pays tribute to the icons from Janis Joplin to Jimi Hendrix to Timothy Leary with psychedelic colored water movements, cloth mazes, walruses and get down blues. The dance sequence at the Induction Center with stomping boots, conveyer lines and boxed up young men conveyed both the fear and the robotic mentality. I noticed that one of the writers was Judy Taymor of Lion King fame...good on her.

As a side note - the contestants on AI who tried to sing the Beatles for two straight weeks should have seen this movie before even attempting it.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I watched Sweeney Todd this weekend. I knew the basic premise going in, but I was still rather at a loss for words at the end. I think to sum it up I would say it is a very good and very weird movie.

It only took me a few minutes to get over the oddness of Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter singing because their acting was stellar. I thought the most talented singers in the movie were the young ones: Johanna, the young sailor, and Perelli's assistant/pitch-kid. When I saw Sasha Baron Cohen (sp?) in the actors listed up front I was very skeptical, but IMO he also did a great job!

Tom Sheppard: Boarder Patrol: it's a campy made straight to video movie with Jean Claude Van Damme, but I like his movies for some reason . They're bad, not well acted, but I enjoy watching. This one.. no exception

Shattered: Would have been better, but I predicted the ending right off the bat so I was left pretty bored. The only good thing was that it was short and had a really interesting/diverse cast.

Paridy, ty for your review of Enchanted. I've been wanting to see it but steered away because it just looked too ridiculous but now I will have to go out and rent it. I refuse to watch Across The Universe. It just seems too strange for me and I was never a big Beatles fan so...
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

When I posted about Sweeney Todd last night I had just finished watching it. I just had to come back and add it was compelling enough that I am still thinking about the characters in that movie!!

I also wanted to add that there is a scene in the movie where Johnny Depp raises his arm with one of his barber razors and says something like "Now my arm is complete again!!" This struck me as very funny considering he played Edward Scissorhands, which was also directed by Tim Burton -- I am guessing the line came right from the play, but it seemed like a rather bizarre coincidence!!

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;2900233;
    When I posted about Sweeney Todd last night I had just finished watching it. I just had to come back and add it was compelling enough that I am still thinking about the characters in that movie!!

I also wanted to add that there is a scene in the movie where Johnny Depp raises his arm with one of his barber razors and says something like "Now my arm is complete again!!" This struck me as very funny considering he played Edward Scissorhands, which was also directed by Tim Burton -- I am guessing the line came right from the play, but it seemed like a rather bizarre coincidence!!
    I never even thought of that Closet! How funny. Good catch. Very good catch.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

Just finished Mr. Woodcock. When my husband stopped the woodcock jokes a la Beavis and Butthead, it wasn't too bad. I found myself laughing at more of the stupid one liners than I thought I would but I wouldn't see it again.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;2881863;
    30 Days of Night - I don't watch too many horror movies these days, but I thought this movie was great! I liked that the vampires were "animalistic", I thought it was quite different from the "romanticized" version of vampires we get in most movies (where they are bad guys, but they are hot!) I actually got a little teary at the end, which is always a good sign that I connected with the characters and story.
    Just finished watching this movie. I agree that they were not romanticized at all and what a different feel to the movie they gave not being so. Definitely a horror movie that fed on gore without overkill.

Hitman: Ack, it wasn't bad, but it really wasn't good either. It was just... one of those forgettable action movies. I don't recommend it at all.

MRD

American Gangster.

I liked it. It was well acted. Interesting movie and kind of violent, but not overly so.

Interesting how the military was basically given a free pass for the guys involved on the military side of things.

But it was a very good movie. Love Denzel anyway. And Russell Crowe who I don't particularly care for was also very good.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread