+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

I watched No Reservations over the weekend. I think overall my opinion would have to be "neutral". I was expecting romantic comedy and the whole tone of this movie was much sadder than I was expecting. I guess the previews gave me a much different impression of the movie. On the up side I thought Catherine Zeta Jones was excellent. I remember during one scene in the movie I was thinking her character didn't even look like CZJ the actress, she just looked like a woman dealing with life.

I decided to join Blockbuster online and so far we've seen:

Balls of Fury: About what I expected so I was able to enjoy it. Anything with Christopher Walken is always a treat for me. He is such a wacky person.

Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium: I was disappointed. And I don't know if it was supposed to be how the character dressed but Natalie Portman's wardrobe was horrendous and totally unflattering to her. She looked like a boy most of the time. I wondered if she filmed this not too long after "V for Vendetta" because her hair was short, and not very attractively on her. And I think she's a very pretty girl. The little boy in it was a great actor but his character got on my nerves. I love Jason Bateman so he can hardly do wrong. And Dustin Hoffman did okay with his role and I suppose he was supposed to have the character talk goofy sounding but it was distracting.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by straycat80;2846628;
    I just got done watching "In The Valley of Elah". This was a superbly acted film by Tommy Lee Jones and Charlize Theron. I agree with everything you said myrosiedog. The final scene was so emotionally draining and sad. The movie was a sad reminder of what war does to our young men and what they lose.
    I haven't seen a movie that had such symbolism as that final scene.

TLJ didn't have to speak but as his truck drives away, you hear him in your head saying from the beginning of the movie:

"It means we're in distress. That we need help because we don't have a hope in hell of saving ourselves."

That couple of lines has resounded with me ever since I watched the movie.

The Army and VA are a huge topic in my house, so I think that is why that movie touched me so much. I've watched family members get so very frustrated dealing with the VA over the years and now that we have injured (physically and mentally) soldiers coming home, the VA and the military hospitals are NOT doing what is needed. But that's a comment for another thread.

But a great movie that should, but probably won't make people more aware of this situation.

Archie, I was disappointed in Mr. Magorium too. It had such a great idea and special effects, but the movie just wasn't what it could have been.
    Dustin Hoffman did so much better in Hook than he did in this one.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2763363;
    The Kingdom Very sobering but good movie. I think should be a must watch for all Americans. It is violent, but because of the storyline and where it takes place, the violence is not gratuitous but necessary for the plot. But the very end is CHILLING. One of those movies that makes you THINK after you've watched it.
    I finished watching this movie last night. It was difficult to watch in places, especially where kids were involved. However, I think that it did a good job showing the "reality" of an ugly situation. Although this story was fictional, I think the situation the characters found themselves could be similar to what Americans fighting insurgents overseas are facing. (I am stressing the "could" because I have not been there and do not have any close relatives actively serving in the military - I realize that a movie cannot do justice to the difficulties they are dealing with). I really liked the fact that it portrayed a character of Middle Eastern descent (Colonel Faris) in a positive manner - faithful, family oriented, etc. We have tons of negative visual images of Middle Eastern people, it is nice to see the opposite side represented! The ending made me cry and I agree that it was chilling. I was left with almost a sense of hopelessness, that this cycle of hate and revenge could go one for a very long time to come. I do recommend watching this one.

I rented The Assassination of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford . I tought it was excellent, and not only casey affleck was great but also Brad Pitt, for my surprise! He deserved more recognition for this film i think.
    Also, the cinematography combined with that soundtrack was just gorgeous. One of the most beautiful movies of last year, i wish i could have seen in theathers but it didn't play near me ;(

30 Days of Night - pretty good suspense and "horror" flick

Also saw Vacancy - same.

Bee Movie and Iam Legend both very good movies.

I watched Hitman today. It was odd to see T-bag from Prison Break in it but with a Russian accent instead of his southern drawl . Desmond from Lost and Dougray Scott from DH is in it too. The lead actor kept reminding me of someone but I couldn't place him. He does sound a bit like Robert Wagner though in his Austin Powers role. ETA: I just googled him - Timothy Olyphant. I recently watched Die Hard 4 and he's in that so that must be where I know him from, and he's in a few other movies I've seen but I just didn't remember him.

I thought it was a fairly okay movie (perhaps just a little too bloody for me at times) and I kept picturing Vin Diesel in the title role. My son said his name was mentioned when the movie was being written so I don't know what happened that he didn't star in it. But it was tailor made for him considering his other roles.
    Last edited by ArchieComic Fan; 03-20-2008 at 07:50 PM.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;2850340;
    I finished watching this movie last night. It was difficult to watch in places, especially where kids were involved. However, I think that it did a good job showing the "reality" of an ugly situation. Although this story was fictional, I think the situation the characters found themselves could be similar to what Americans fighting insurgents overseas are facing. (I am stressing the "could" because I have not been there and do not have any close relatives actively serving in the military - I realize that a movie cannot do justice to the difficulties they are dealing with). I really liked the fact that it portrayed a character of Middle Eastern descent (Colonel Faris) in a positive manner - faithful, family oriented, etc. We have tons of negative visual images of Middle Eastern people, it is nice to see the opposite side represented! The ending made me cry and I agree that it was chilling. I was left with almost a sense of hopelessness, that this cycle of hate and revenge could go one for a very long time to come. I do recommend watching this one.
    I got the same feeling.

It's a shame that the movies being made about the middle east and the Iraq war have done so poorly (In the Valley of Elah only made $6 million). The reviews I've read said that people don't want to watch depressing movies about the war. But dang, I think we should be watching them. Yeah, it's a Hollywood portrayal of these events, but they do get people to THINK and possibly to want to know MORE and maybe DO more about these things.

But I highly reccomend both The Kingdom and In the Valley of Elah. Both extremely good movies and will give some understanding of the things the "West" and America faces from the situation in the middle east.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by PGM35;2857463;
    30 Days of Night - pretty good suspense and "horror" flick

Also saw Vacancy - same.
    See I didn't like Vacancy as much as I liked 1408. It was alright but...
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

+ Reply to Thread