+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

MRD

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;2824767;
    I am in the same type of situation with my DH. We do like a lot of the same movies, but there are some war movies that he could watch endlessly - his fav is Sniper. I just don't think I can handle watching that movie again. However, I do think I tend to underestimate because every now and then he completely surprises me. I never thought I would be able to get him to watch a subtitled movie, but he LOVED Apocolypto, which is a movie I personally thought didn't get nearly enough credit - it was amazing!
    Mine surprises me too on occasion and will watch movies that I wouldn't think he would and I don't mind watching the action movies either. Most of them I like. But not over and over again. However, I have my own movies I like to watch over again. But not all the time.
    Funny thing is, that he likes all the Humphrey Bogart movies, especially Casablanca which is kind of a chick flick I think. I mean its a classic, but its also a love story. And he LOVES Singing in the Rain with Gene Kelly and he normally hates musicals.

He says that movies like the Bourne ones and Shawshank, he can watch if tey happen to be on tv and come in and leave them at anytime because he knows how they start and end and its just something to watch for a little while. Me, I can't do that either.

Bill Mahr recently called this "collectile dysfunction". When you are too lazy to watch the DVD you OWN of a movie and instead watch it on tv. He then called it the "Shawshank Syndrome" and I almost fell out of my chair laughing because Shawshank is probably the number one movie my husband will watch every single time it is on tv. But yet, has never once put in the DVD we happen to own of that same move.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Newbie

Premonition. I didn't like it. This could be because the movie was actually terrible or that since the disc was so warped I had to start and stop the movie several times. It was so annoying.

Last night I watched Gone Baby Gone. Good movie, fantastic peformances by everyone. Sad ending. Really makes you think about the dilema Casey Affleck had at the end. I would recommend this movie to everyone to see.
    I also saw American Gangster. This was good too. A little too long but it was amazing that this was a true story and about all the corruption in the US military and in the police force at that time. Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe were in it, need I say more.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

i just finished martian child with john cusack. i have to say i was impressed, as i was not expecting much, but i found myself weeping a couple of times towards the end. very good story. apparently it's based on a short story about the author's real life experience of adopting a son ... and apparently the author of the story is the same guy that wrote the majorly famous "the trouble with tribbles" episode of star trek.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I'm really REALLY late in seeing it, but I finally watched Spinal Tap last night and don't know what was wrong with me for having put it off for so long. Though I must say, the part with Paul Shaffer had me because I was all "I *know* that voice from somewhere!" and when it dawned on me, I nearly smacked myself for being so stupid. I guess it was because he actually had hair then!

I watched a couple this past weekend:
    Moliere: It was okay, but I guess I expected more. It was subtitled and set in 17th century France so I had high expectations... : )

Black Book: Fantastic! Based on a true story about a Jewish woman in Holland near the end of WWII who ends up involved with both sides of the conflict. This one is definitely worth watching.

MRD

Spinal Tap is a classic.

I watched In the Valley of Elah.
    Tommy Lee Jones was superb. I can see why he got an oscar nomination.

The movie was very intense and serves as a commentary about the mental state of our soldiers that are coming back from Iraq. It's also a "murder mystery". But I think that the actual murder being solved is secondary in this movie. It explores the relationship between soldiers, men, fathers and sons and the "suck it up and be a man" mentality that has existed for a long time and is now being shattered (rightfully so in my opinion) and pointing out that its not a shame to get help. Or it shouldn't be. But that help isn't there.

I think the FINAL scene was one of the strongest for me. A very definate commentary on the war and all its ugly aftermath once a soldier gets home.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

i just watched The Sex Movie yesterday and for a B movie, it's intelligently done but the ending isn't that good, it made me feel like hanging

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;2832743;
    I'm really REALLY late in seeing it, but I finally watched Spinal Tap last night and don't know what was wrong with me for having put it off for so long. Though I must say, the part with Paul Shaffer had me because I was all "I *know* that voice from somewhere!" and when it dawned on me, I nearly smacked myself for being so stupid. I guess it was because he actually had hair then!
    Spinal Tap is one of my favorite movies.

Last night I watched "The Hunting Party," with Richard Gere and Terrence Howard. I think it's a new DVD release. It's about journalists in Bosnia who decided they'd go look for a war criminal and accidentally find him. (It's VERY loosely based on a true story, involving Sebastian Junger, of "The Perfect Storm" fame). Anyway, I really liked it; it was tense and sometimes violent and thought-provoking, with some comic relief thrown in.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I just got done watching "In The Valley of Elah". This was a superbly acted film by Tommy Lee Jones and Charlize Theron. I agree with everything you said myrosiedog. The final scene was so emotionally draining and sad. The movie was a sad reminder of what war does to our young men and what they lose.

+ Reply to Thread