+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

MRD

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;2807723;
    The Brave One: I really don't know what to think about this movie. I didn't not like it, but I don't really know if I liked it either. It was different and yet perfectly suited for Jodie Foster. I thought it was well done, but just implausible. I'm puzzled!
    In 1984 Bernie Getz took matters into his own hands and dispensed vigilante justice on NY subways by shooting people.

So the premise to me wasn't all that implausable, but what got me was that she was traumatized so I could understand her buying the gun, I could understand her self defense actions in the convenience store and on the subway. Where she crossed the line was going after the guy who had custody of his step-daughter. And then the ending was very implausible because the police detective went back on his own honor and word and didn't do what he said he would and protected her.
    I don't know, there is a lot of debate we could get into on this. I thought it was a very intense movie. Not the greatest one I ever saw, but not the worst either.

Like my husband said it was a "touchy-feely Death Wish with Jodie Foster".
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2812814;
    Like my husband said it was a "touchy-feely Death Wish with Jodie Foster".
    He hit the nail on the head for sure. I think that's about as touchy-feely as Jodie Foster does.

I rented the Italian Job a couple days ago...

Gone, Baby, Gone I thought this was a good movie, even though it was kind of sad. I love that it made me consider what I would do in the situation the PI finds himself. Using actual Boston locales and locals added a lot to the movie. Amy Ryan, Ed Harris, and Amy Madigan were fantastic in the supporting roles. My only complaint was that Casey Affleck is a bit of a mumbler, and I had a hard time understanding him.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by hil34;2814397;
    I rented the Italian Job a couple days ago...
    That was a good movie. I enjoyed it enough to watch it a few times.

I finally got a chance to rent some DVDs for like the first time in months!

I rented "No Reservations" and "Beowulf" for the boyfriend from the RedBox DVD station at our local grocery store. Very easy BTW!!

Loved "No Reservations" even if it was in the end a little cheesy. I am all about cheeky romantic stories and this one was no different with Aaron Eckhart, hello!!

In regards to touchy-feely with Jodi Foster, what about Nell? Not the best movie in the world but very touching. Is that what you meant?
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by nilesgirl;2822592;
    In regards to touchy-feely with Jodi Foster, what about Nell? Not the best movie in the world but very touching. Is that what you meant?
    No, I've never seen Nell.

I think what my husband meant was that unlike the Charles Bronson Death Wish movies, she struggled with her feelings more, had a lot of angst (he's not a big fan of angst ridden movies), guilt, etc.

My husband is more the action/adventure type movie goer and not really into movies like the kind Jodie Foster usually makes. He's a Clint Eastwood movie type (except Play Misty for Me). He likes the Dirty Harry/Death Wish/Die Hard/Rambo type movies. He HATES Hugh Grant and will not watch any Hugh Grant movies as those are too "touchy-feely" to him. ANd now he's into all 3 of the Bourne movies too. and If I have to see Shawshank redemption one more time (great movie, but he watches it incessantly) or Bourne, I think I will die. And I was a Bourne fan until he started watching those over and over again.

It's great fun trying to go to the movies with him or renting a movie. But fortunately we do like some of the same stuff and I go to the "touchy-feely" movies with girlfriends.

I just watched a really great English film that I caught on Sundance (I think it was Sundance channel) called The History Boys. LOVED it.
    It's a bit different, but a great ensemble type story. It's about a group of boys trying to get into Oxford and Cambridge and the teachers at their grammer school trying to help them study for the exams and interviews.
    It's funny and very interesting. Love Hector the literature teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2823553;
    ...ANd now he's into all 3 of the Bourne movies too. and If I have to see Shawshank redemption one more time (great movie, but he watches it incessantly) or Bourne, I think I will die. And I was a Bourne fan until he started watching those over and over again.
    I am in the same type of situation with my DH. We do like a lot of the same movies, but there are some war movies that he could watch endlessly - his fav is Sniper. I just don't think I can handle watching that movie again. However, I do think I tend to underestimate because every now and then he completely surprises me. I never thought I would be able to get him to watch a subtitled movie, but he LOVED Apocolypto, which is a movie I personally thought didn't get nearly enough credit - it was amazing!

Just got finished watching the 2006 version of Jekyll + Hyde. I really liked it. It was a modern twist on a cult classic.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

+ Reply to Thread