+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 420 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728293031323334353676126 ... LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

I rented White Oleander last night. It was pretty good. I figured the book would be worth reading. I might have to pick it up.

Hi all! I've been thinking of renting "Memento".Any good?

Princess Kim, if you love thrillers, you should absolutely rent Memento! That's one of my favorite movies; I bought the DVD even, as it lends itself to multiple viewings.

Guy Pearce is really amazing in this movie. It's an original, suspenseful, sharp, and intricate puzzle whose backwards structure is a clever device that never gets in the way of the story.

To tell you too much about it would spoil the experience. Just go watch it, watch it now!
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

I recently saw "Lantana" for the second time. I believe it was filmed in New Zealand. Barbara Hershey stars as a psychiatrist who has written a book to cope with the loss of her daughter. Geoffrey Rush (of "Shine" fame) plays her husband. They have marital problems owing to their shared grief. Happening in tandem, another 40-something couple copes with their increased emotional distance from each other. The film opens by exposing the husband in an extra-marital affair.

What was interesting to me about this film is that it is not only about relationships; it is billed as a thriller and murder mystery (it is not much of a whodunit, though). Also interesting is that the film treats the topic of marriage that has withstood many years and several children. So many films would rather feature people falling in love. For such films the "happily ever after" is implied.

I enjoyed "Lantana" greatly in the theater and continued to think about it for many weeks afterwards. I watched it for the second time with my boyfriend-figure. He felt it was slow. I think he expected action-film content. That dampened my experience somewhat. I'd highly recommend the film, but do not expect carbombs and a speedy plot. Watch it for gaining insight on mature relationships...

Ok I think of myself as a good, fast reader. White Oleander started out really good but, then it DRAAGGGGGED on. I had to finish it though - painful to read IMO

Memento (sp)

I loved this movie - had to see it twice.

Molly?? Not sure if you'll see this but, didn't you find White Oleander (the book) to be a bit drawn out ?

It takes me usually a couple of nights to finish a book. That one took a couple of weeks. Had to finish it but, not a favorite of mine. The movie left out some important "stuff".
    Still, was good.
    I agree about Michelle P. She is very pretty. And a great actress.
    Perfect for that part.
    So, where's the Cannes Film Festival being held this year?
    ~ Christina Aguilera

I read White Oleander. I was OK, but nothing I would recommend to anyone, & it certainly did not make me want to see the movie.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Holly the movie was really good. It was better than the movie.
    I wouldn't go around telling people to rent it though -
    not a fave of mine.
    ~ Christina Aguilera

I liked White Oleander the movie and the book. I read it last year and remember being pretty transfixed - read it all in two days. Sometimes I have to be in just the right mood for a certain book to captivate me -- it must have been the right day to read that one.

definately depends on the mood Molly.
    I meant to post (I never preview my posts)
    the movie -IMO- was better than the book.
    ~ Christina Aguilera

The only movie I've ever thought was better than the book was A Simple Plan, and I loved the book. I just thought the movie ironed out some awkward parts in the book in a very sensible and agreeable way.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

+ Reply to Thread