+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

Quote Originally Posted by nilesgirl;2796313;
    I loved Saw IV. Although I was kinda confused as to the killer because he and another guy looked almost exactly alike so it was impossible for me to figure out which one was which. And what was that thing they pulled out of Jigsaw? A battery pack or something? I didn't get that. But I loved the deaths. Way bloodier than the other 3. I will be getting all 4 on DVD. From what I know there is a 5th one coming out and someone told me they are even making at least 2 more after that. How many ways can they come up with to torture someone???
    It was a mini cassette tape. If you go back and rewatch Saw III, you'll actually see him pouring wax onto something on the table next to him. The same thing they eventually take out of his stomach in Saw IV.

FORT Fogey

I watched the Nanny Diaries last night. I agree with everyone who said it's not nearly as good as the book. It's like they pulled out of the story out of the book, but left all the heart behind.

The Game Plan: Overall it was pretty cute, but I have a couple of gripes. First of all the main little girl in the movie is cute, but as an actress everything she does seems to be calculated for the "cute" factor (including her Disney show) - I find it annoying. Also, ever since the previews for this movie started I have been annoyed by the entire premise. IMHO, there is nothing funny about a man suddenly finding out he has a daughter when she is 8 YEARS OLD. On the up side, I find that I really enjoy Dwayne (The Rock) Johnson's acting. I have seen a number of movies with him now and I have enjoyed most of them (Walking Tall, Gridiron Gang) he was also hilarious on SNL a few years ago.

The Brave One: I really enjoyed this one. Both Jodie Foster and Terrence Howard are such wonderfully talented actors!! I think it was less action and more drama than I was expecting, but in this case that was a good thing.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

nilesgirl, I've seen Wolf Creek too...hard to believe that is based on a true story!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;2799674;
    On the up side, I find that I really enjoy Dwayne (The Rock) Johnson's acting. I have seen a number of movies with him now and I have enjoyed most of them (Walking Tall, Gridiron Gang) he was also hilarious on SNL a few years ago.
    He really is surprisingly good isn't he? I've also enjoyed pretty much every movie he's been in.

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2799675;
    nilesgirl, I've seen Wolf Creek too...hard to believe that is based on a true story!
    I just couldn't finish it. It was too boring for me. I stopped watching when the one girl was trying to get the other one out of the shed where she was being held by that tow truck guy.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

MRD

Across the Universe.

I so wanted to see this in the theater adn didn't.

I started it here at home and the first 30 min. I thought: "OMG, this movie is awful. It needs to go in the Stupidest Movies thread", but then it mercifully picked up and I really, really liked it.

I was comparing it at first to the Bee Gees/Peter Frampton Sgt. Pepper movie of the 70's. Yes, this one is kind of campy as well, but it was much better. I loved all the pop culture references and Beatles references that weren't songs. And I LOVED Joe Cocker, Bono and Eddie Izzard's performances. There were so many things I was able to pick up on that my daughter missed and we had fun going through them. The Cavern Club, Cafe Wha?, Ken Kesey, Timothy Leary, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, The Tet Offensive, the Koolaid acid test, Weather Underground, the Bus-Further and more.

Cool movie. I'd watch it again.

I did miss that the nurses were Selma Hayek though and had to rewind to watch that again.

And I think my favorite character was Sadie. LOVED her. Wish I had seen the Grammy tribute now.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2801357;
    Wish I had seen the Grammy tribute now.
    It's probably on YouTube - take a look and you might find it!

I watched The Ballet Shoes last night and absolutely loved it! It's based on the Noel Streitfeild book of the same name. The film is set during the inter-war period and revolves around three "sisters," all of whom were sort of collected as infants by an explorer while he was on his travels. Because he's off traveling the world, his niece (along with her mother) raises the girls. One daughter wants to be an actress, another a ballet dancer and the third an aviatrix. I'd never even heard of it, but found it completely charming.

For Harry Potter fans: both Emma Watson (Hermione) and Richard Griffiths (Uncle Vernon) star in the film and are terrific!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;2801460;
    I watched The Ballet Shoes last night and absolutely loved it!
    Where did you see it? Netflix didn't have it, so I looked on IMDB and it said that it was a TV show that aired in the UK last December. Is PBS airing it...?

The Nanny Diaries: It was cute, but moved alonga little slowly. There were some parts that just didn't seem to fit with the story, but overall, I enjoyed it enough for a Wednesday afternoon movie. I didn't read the book so I can't compare.

Superbad: Definitely not what I expected!! But I liked it. It wasn't bad at all. I think Knocked Up was better, but I enjoyed it. I do like these kind of movies though. They're definitely not for everyone.

+ Reply to Thread