+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

Saw IV: So bad!!! I turned it off halfway through. I just didn't care for it at all. Bad story, bad acting, bad deaths, bad everything.

Quote Originally Posted by nilesgirl;2795362;
    Platoon: .....I'd love to hear from someone who may have been in this war or known someone who was in it (The Vietnam war) and get their input. Did the soldiers really treat these people this way? It was very disturbing. I get that in soldier's eyes back then (maybe even now) there's no such thing as an innocent "enemy". If you're a native of the country they're attacking then you're still an enemy whether you're in cammo or not. Is this true? I don't want to believe that but that's how it seems.
    I'm not a veteran of any war, but I listened to a radio show recently where an Iraq-war veteran talked about how the war instilled a hatred in him of any Iraqi (and how he eventually worked through it). It may not be exactly what you are looking for, but I think the "war mentality" crosses conflict boundaries. If you are interested, you can hear it online here:

This American Life episode 340: The Devil in Me
    The story I mentioned begins immediately after the 3 minute intro-bit.

To honor Roy Scheider I'm watching Jaws 2, 3 and 4. Even though he's not in the 4rd one and only in the 4th one through flashbacks, I will always associate him with these movies.
    RIP Roy Scheider. "Heaven's gonna need a bigger gate."
    Quote Originally Posted by canadian angel
    Saw IV: So bad!!! I turned it off halfway through. I just didn't care for it at all. Bad story, bad acting, bad deaths, bad everything.
    I loved Saw IV. Although I was kinda confused as to the killer because he and another guy looked almost exactly alike so it was impossible for me to figure out which one was which. And what was that thing they pulled out of Jigsaw? A battery pack or something? I didn't get that. But I loved the deaths. Way bloodier than the other 3. I will be getting all 4 on DVD. From what I know there is a 5th one coming out and someone told me they are even making at least 2 more after that. How many ways can they come up with to torture someone???
    On another note, they are actually releasing a 4th Final Destination. I love the other 3 and kind of suspected they would make a 4th so I will probably be first in line to see it when it comes out. According to imdb, it will be released January of next year!
    Final Destination 4 (2009) - Synopsis
    Last edited by nilesgirl; 02-15-2008 at 01:29 PM.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;2795496;
    Lake Placid 2: So bad! I didn't know they made a sequel but got it from my brother. Definitely glad I didn't pay for it.
    I caught it on Sci Fi. It was really bad.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

The two male leads were pretty similar nilesgirl. I just really didn't like the plot of the movie and I found it too reaching. I ended up watching the entire thing and I still wasn't a fan. I thought it was the weakest of the 4.

Resident Evil: Extinction: Definitely the weakest of the series. But I didn't mind it. It was a lot of action with little plot. Definitely left it open for another. Or is there one already in the works?

FORT Fogey

I watched Once last night. I really really enjoyed it. It's rather creative (I love any movie that you can't describe by saying "it's like X movie" or "its a cross between x and y") and just an enjoyable character study. The two leads totally swept me in so I was going to enjoy anything that meant "spending time" with them. Without question, the music was the very best thing about the movie. The songs were so outstanding, and so memorable that I can understand how on that alone, the movie would stick with so many people.

I also rented Nanny Diaries - that one is on tap to watch tonight.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by nilesgirl;2795362;
    Platoon: I haven't seen this movie in years but I loved it just as much as the first time I saw it. It really bothered me though to see how the soldiers treated the innocent villagers. Especially the children. I'd love to hear from someone who may have been in this war or known someone who was in it (The Vietnam war) and get their input. Did the soldiers really treat these people this way? It was very disturbing. I get that in soldier's eyes back then (maybe even now) there's no such thing as an innocent "enemy". If you're a native of the country they're attacking then you're still an enemy whether you're in cammo or not. Is this true? I don't want to believe that but that's how it seems.

I didn't serve in the military, but I have done a lot of reading and studying about Vietnam and I have talked to many Vietnam vets and in some cases, they said yes, this movie depicted fairly accurately what went on during that war.

Remember that this war was a very different type of war than had previously been fought by our military. The enemy was using women and children against us. And a soldier mentality is totally different than anything we civilians can understand. Combat veterans will tell you that unless you've been there, you can NEVER understand it. And I think that is very true.

And one thing I have heard soldiers say from WWII, Korea, Vietnam and Iraq, when you have seen your buddy get killed or tortured, it can affect you in ways that you would not normally behave. I heard an Iwo Jima survivor say that after they saw what the Japanese had done to some of their buddies during that battle, they never took another Japanese soldier alive. They did not capture POW's.

And the mentality of war that these soldiers in all wars have had to live with is what produces the PTSD that we are seeing and hearing more about today. It's always been there, but its never been made as public or been dealt with before now.

I've heard soldiers that haven't even been in combat say that the return to civilian life is very hard because they can't relate to civilians at first and I think its doubly hard for combat veterans to return to a "normal" life after the horrors they have seen.

On to movies:

We watched No Reservations the other day.

My daughter and I really liked it. I am not a huge Catherine Zeta-Jones fan, but this movie was very touching and funny at times. We liked it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Sydney White: For what it was, an older kid friendly movie, it was okay. I thought there were some really cute moments in it, but definitely glad I was watching it with someone the movie was targeting and not by myself. It made it much more enjoyable.

I tried to watch Wolf Creek but it just bored me to tears so I turned it off.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

The Comebacks: As far as parodies go, this was definitely one of the worst I've seen. It's a good thing I was doing something while watching it otherwise it'd never have been seen in full. It wasn't even really that funny at all.

+ Reply to Thread