+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

MRD

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2745236;
    Just watched "We Are Marshall". Got all kinds of choked up. Matthew McConaghey (sp?) did a great job.

It was based on a true event.
    That's become one of my favorite movies. I have a good friend that is teaching at a school with the son of one of the coaches that went down on that plane. He couldn't watch the movie. He was a small boy when that happened.

It is a tear jerker, but very good movie. And it made our arch rival coach, Bobby Bowden (at WV at the time) actually seem human.

I would put that movie up there in my top 10 I think.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

We watched a bunch of movies over our Christmas break:

Shrek 3 - I heard somewhere that this one wasn't very good, so I was pleasantly surprised because I thoroughly enjoyed it!! Prince Charming cracks me up when he sings about his beautiful hair

Spiderman 3 - I have enjoyed all of the Spiderman movies so far and this one did not disappoint me. I like that Peter Parker is "human" and falls into the same pitfalls that anyone could fall into - in this case a growing ego. The stuff with Harry was especially touching and I thought all of the storylines played out well.

Happy Feet - Someone said they liked this one, but I have to say I did not like it at all. I actually didn't even finish watching it, so if the ending may change my mind about it please let me know. Maybe the first strike for me was that I was not expecting the penguins to be singing popular/mainstream music. The movie started out with the girl penguin singing Prince's "Kiss" and it came off as trying to make this penguin sexy which just did not work for me on any level. I just thought it went downhill from there. When the Robin Williams witchdoctor-type character retired to his boudoir with a bunch of female penguins on his arms, I gave up.

Live Free or Die Hard - This definitely followed the standard of the Die Hard franchise. Big stunts, pretty implausible, but it kept my attention and it was fun to watch!

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - I saw this one in the movie theater, but we also watched on DVD. As the books progress and get more detailed/complicated, I am getting more disappointed at the amount of content that is left out or completely changed in the movie. I talked to someone who had not read the books and they said this was the first of the HP movies where they felt like they were really missing information having not read the books first.

Pirates of the Carribean: At World's End - Admittedly not as good as the beginning of the series, but I thoroughly enjoy the actors and the swashbuckling action in the these movies.

There were recent posts mentioning Disturbia and Kung Fu Hustle. These were both movies I rented and didn't expect much from and I ended up really enjoying both of them!!
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 01-10-2008 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Add one more comment

Right Here, Right Now Britannia's Avatar

"Once" - oh my word. What a great movie and great music. Glen Hansard of the band The Frames and who played "Outspan" in 'The Commitments' is incredible as is the young Czech girl Marketa Irklova (sp). Highly recommended!
    It's a fair cop guv - you got me bang to rights and no mistake!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Britannia;2749059;
    "Once" - oh my word. What a great movie and great music. Glen Hansard of the band The Frames and who played "Outspan" in 'The Commitments' is incredible as is the young Czech girl Marketa Irklova (sp). Highly recommended!
    That does it, I"m renting this movie the first chance I get! I had never heard of this movie until people started making their year end choices for best movie. I can't think of anyone I've heard with such a recap that didn't include this movie on it. It doesn't matter what taste in movies the person has - chick flicks, action, drama - even Kevin Smith declared it one of the best movies of the year. I don't know much of anything about it, but I'm renting it!!!

MRD

Live Free or Die Hard.

I was pleasantly surprised. Of course, I went into it with low expectations and was surprised it was entertaining. Wildly unbelievable of course in most places, but was a good 2 hour escape and I didn't fidget or get bored.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Pan's Labyrinth - was not sure what to expect. Fabulous movie. A+. Deserves an Oscar. (did it get one?) Although filmed all in Spanish, what I liked about this movie is that the director has a real feel for movies as a visual medium and there was not that much dialog to follow and since I had to read subtitles I really appreaciated that. The director really set the feel of the real world vs the other world. This film has subtle layers and is visually beautiful. It is simple and brutal.

I did take the opportunity to watch some of the features on the second disc and didn't realize that the character of the faun was a live actor. Doug Jones did a fabulous job as the faun and pale man. It was also eyeopening to see how the effects of both characters were created. Guillermo Del Toro, the director, knows how to make a film. Listening to his interview it is fascinating to see how much goes into a big budget film. Take a look at his notebooks as he writes all his ideas down in them and has been working on this film since 1993. Again I highly recommend this movie.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2749721;
    Pan's Labyrinth - ...Fabulous movie. A+. Deserves an Oscar.
    I second your recommendation!! It was not what I expected. This was definitely one of the best movies I rented this year.

Out of curiosity I looked up the Oscar info on it. Pan's Labyrinth won these Oscars:
    Best Art Direction
    Best Cinematography
    Best Makeup

It was also nominated for:
    Best Original Screenplay
    Best Score
    Best Foreign Language Film

Apparently many people think this movie was robbed of the Best Foreign Language Film Oscar, however it lost to The Lives of Others which is also an excellent movie. I'm glad I didn't have to make that decision!
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 01-11-2008 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Adding Oscar info

Royal Tenenbaum.

well actually I watched it on tv, but yeah...
    I wasn't really into the movie.. I thought it was a comedy but it was boring. I didn't laugh once during the movie. I almost fell asleep while watching it.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

I saw High Fidelity on TV last night. I know I recently recommended the movie on FORT not long ago, but I don't remember if it was in this thread. Definitely worth the rent.

I think I'll also rent The Big Lebowski. Haven't seen that in a while.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I rented "Lucky Number Slevin" tonight. The big "twist" was pretty damn predictable, but the stylized direction kept my attention and it was the first time in a loooong while that I didn't want to reach thru the screen and strangle Lucy Liu. I never thought I'd say this, but Josh Hartnett looked pretty good in nothing but a towel. It was a good way to pass an evening after a labor-intensive weekend.

+ Reply to Thread