+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

MRD

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

LOVED both the Astronaut Farmer and the Bourne Ultimatum. I thought Borne was as good as the first one. But I also loved the Bourne books too.

The Astronaut Farmer was just a real heartwarming movie. Never give up on your dreams.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Happy Feet - luv'd it, could see it again. Great sound track. It made me smile. It made me happy.

The Queen - very good movie. Helen Mirren is brillant as the Queen. The script really makes Charles look very ineffectual. Chilling scene in the Range Rover where Charles is saying that Diana was a wonderful mother and the Queen just up and left him. Warm and fuzzy the royals are not. Still Mirren brings a humanity and vulnerability to the Queen that as viewers we get to see but no one else does.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Just watched Fracture for the first time. Enjoyable!
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2740018;
    Happy Feet - luv'd it, could see it again. Great sound track. It made me smile. It made me happy.

The Queen - very good movie. Helen Mirren is brillant as the Queen. The script really makes Charles look very ineffectual. Chilling scene in the Range Rover where Charles is saying that Diana was a wonderful mother and the Queen just up and left him. Warm and fuzzy the royals are not. Still Mirren brings a humanity and vulnerability to the Queen that as viewers we get to see but no one else does.
    Loved The Queen. Helen Mirren is quite good in it. But it does not portray them as a very warm or loving family at all.

We just rented Shrek the Third. Not as good as the others, but still enjoyable. I just love Donkey.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

We had a bit of a movie festival over the holidays.

The Painted Veil - Fabulous movie in a beautiful setting. Has inspired me to read some W. Somerset Maugham. Has also inspired something deep inside of me to watch Love in the Time of Cholera, which I'm resisting with all my strength since I understand it is not good. I will read it, however.

Waitress - Cute movie, but a little too chick-flick for me (and I'm a chick). Performances were amazing, though, and Andy Griffith in particular should have won something if he didn't. I felt incredibly sad throughout the whole thing, though, because I couldn't stop thinking about Adrienne Shelly.

A Scanner Darkly - Saw the first hour, 'twas phenomenal - I love rotoscoping and Richard Linklater. Then I had a sugar crash and fell asleep. Mr. Rattus loved it, though, so I'm going to buy it and will catch the end then.

Interview - The remake of the Theo Van Gogh film, directed by and starring Steve Buscemi. I quite enjoyed it (loved the ending) and was completely surprised by the more than adequate performance of Sienna Miller.

Two horror movies: Disturbia and Vacancy - both surprisingly engrossing. I was most particularly surprised by Vacancy since it was the style of horror I don't particularly care much for - unwitting victims trapped by lunatics in an enclosed area, making their life hell. But it was fast paced and the dialogue was good enough to create lifelike characters you could feel empathy for.

And this is embarrassing: Hot Rod - I know, I know, I read the reviews and saw the commercials. We read something somewhere, though, that said it was a much smarter movie than it appeared on the surface. It wasn't. I will admit that I did laugh occasionally. But I will have to justify that laughter by bringing up the aforementioned sugar buzz (the movie equivalent of the Twinkie Defense).
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2740348;
    We had a bit of a movie festival over the holidays.

The Painted Veil - Fabulous movie in a beautiful setting. Has inspired me to read some W. Somerset Maugham. Has also inspired something deep inside of me to watch Love in the Time of Cholera, which I'm resisting with all my strength since I understand it is not good. I will read it, however.
    Funny, I heard that it was quite good.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

my daughter and i are catching up on season 3 of "lost" ... we never watched the show when it was on tv, so we've been borrowing the discs from friends, to get ready for season 4 to start at the end of this month.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2740281;
    We just rented Shrek the Third. Not as good as the others, but still enjoyable. I just love Donkey.
    i love eddie murphy when he does voices for cartoons, but i can't stand him when he does regular movies. i think he's an azz.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2740348;

Waitress - Cute movie, but a little too chick-flick for me (and I'm a chick). Performances were amazing, though, and Andy Griffith in particular should have won something if he didn't. I felt incredibly sad throughout the whole thing, though, because I couldn't stop thinking about Adrienne Shelly.
    You're right about this one being very chick-flicky, but I didn't mind that. I totally agree with you regarding both Andy Griffith and Adrienne Shelly. Casting Andy Griffith was a brillant move -- both the movie and he in his performance managed to use the perceptions we all have of him from the work he's most known for to really add to the character. It made him quite lovable when he needed to be loved, and yet he was able to act past it and be a quite the curmudgeon when needed too.

Regarding Adrienne Shelly, the personal touches from her in the film would have been touching on thier own -- the character she played, casting her own daughter for a small part, etc. But all of that was amplified knowing that it was her final movie, as well as the circumstances that made it that. Very very touching. I also thought the tributes to her included in the extras on the DVD -- including the way that in the commentary they acknowledged her absence without exploiting it -- were very very well done and fitting.

I rented the MIB II.

Just finished;

The Namesake - it is about a Bengali boy who comes to America, the girl who becomes his wife and their son. It is a very quite movie and I did get impatient with it at times. The critics raved over it. I could relate to alot of it. An immigrant taking a big step and coming to America. Ashiwa, his wife, who is married to him in an arranged marriage and leaves everything behind to come to America. Their children, especially their son; Gogol, and how he fights and comes to terms with his traditions and growing up in America. It is a very low key film and sometimes you wonder were it is going, but it is well done.

Kung Fu Hustle - great kung fu movie, great spoof of the gendre and on 1930's gangs with a bit of West Side Story and Men in Black thrown in. Good story. You can follow it. The fight scenes do not go on too long. The characters make sense. The look and feel of the movie is great. Some of the previews are a bit misleading as I expected more American pop music and more dance scenes. Still it was a lot of fun. Yes the kiddies can watch.

+ Reply to Thread