+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

Twilight Watch is also the title of the third book.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Here are a few I have rented recently:

The Nanny Diaries - It had its moments and the premise was good, but I thought it was missing something.

Sicko - I personally thought it was an important movie to watch. I live in the US so I left this movie really wishing we had universal healthcare, but very pessimistic about whether our government could actually pull it together. There was one statement made that involved my actual employer that was factually correct, but I thought it was misleading so that irked me a bit

The Lives of Others - Excellent! This one didn't get too much fanfare. The general topic is about the German secret police in East Germany during the Nazi regime and how they would spy on people they suspected of betraying them. This story focuses on one set of characters. It is a wonderful and fascinating movie!!

The Invisible - I went into this one without a lot of preconceived notions and ended up really enjoying it. Any movie that gets me teary by the end is pretty good IMO.

Hairspray - I had never seen the previous movie or the play so only had a general idea what it was about and I am a fan of musicals. That said, I loved this one. It was fun and witty and kudos to John Travolta - he really committed to his character and it was a riot!

Deja Vu - This sat on my Netflix queue for months because I like Denzel Washington but it kept slipping down my list because I expected just one more action movie. It ended up being much more sci-fi that I ever would have guessed - not even really plausible sci-fi, it was pretty out-there. I actually ended up enjoying it.

In the Land of Women - I thought this was a really touching movie. I thoroughly enjoyed it and really felt for the awkward situation that poor guy ended up in with those two women!

The Number 23 - Yet another interesting twist to Jim Carrey. I don't like him at all in slapstick comedy, but I have really enjoyed his more serious drama-type movies. Don't know if I really liked the ending of this one, but it was an okay movie.

We Are Marshall - Excellent, heartwarming. Emotionally I was fine through the whole movie and then during the credits they started showing photos of the actors with the actual people the were portraying and I just started bawling.

1408: Unrated Version - This started out interesting and then I thought it got really depressing. It had a good premise, but I thought they could have done a better job with it.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;2729792;
    Here are a few I have rented recently:

The Lives of Others - Excellent! This one didn't get too much fanfare. The general topic is about the German secret police in East Germany during the Nazi regime and how they would spy on people they suspected of betraying them. This story focuses on one set of characters. It is a wonderful and fascinating movie!!

Hairspray - I had never seen the previous movie or the play so only had a general idea what it was about and I am a fan of musicals. That said, I loved this one. It was fun and witty and kudos to John Travolta - he really committed to his character and it was a riot!

Deja Vu - This sat on my Netflix queue for months because I like Denzel Washington but it kept slipping down my list because I expected just one more action movie. It ended up being much more sci-fi that I ever would have guessed - not even really plausible sci-fi, it was pretty out-there. I actually ended up enjoying it.

In the Land of Women - I thought this was a really touching movie. I thoroughly enjoyed it and really felt for the awkward situation that poor guy ended up in with those two women!

We Are Marshall - Excellent, heartwarming. Emotionally I was fine through the whole movie and then during the credits they started showing photos of the actors with the actual people the were portraying and I just started bawling.
    I did too. I LOVED this movie. Also loved Land of Women and Hairspray. I bought Hairspray for my daughter for Christmas. I have seen the original and while the original was, well, original, this version was fun too.

I felt the same way about Deja Vu, but here is what I did. We had seen it and then a few months later, I rented it again and my husband says as I turn it on: "are YOU feeling a little Deja Vu right now?" I asked why and he said: "we've seen this already". I felt stupid, but I guess it was't all that memorable.

But thanks for the reccomendation on The Lives of Others. I have wanted to see that, but haven't yet. I think I'll get it for myself as the family is starting to rebel at my continuous watching of war movies and documentaries.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2729875;
    I felt the same way about Deja Vu, but here is what I did. We had seen it and then a few months later, I rented it again and my husband says as I turn it on: "are YOU feeling a little Deja Vu right now?" I asked why and he said: "we've seen this already".
    That is too funny!

After you get a chance to see The Lives of Others come back and post your opinion, I'm curious to know what you think!

To Kill A Mockingbird

I've seen it numerous times, but not for awhile. Never gets old. Duvall looks pretty freaky in his makeup, to the point where I started fixating on an appearance which struck me as being off rather than the storyline. I suppose never going outside into the sun might have an effect like that on a body's appearance though.

Big Fish

I don't know exactly what I'd expected other than some underwater escapades, but this movie was completely different than what I anticipated and I loved it. All except for the son, I wish(ed) him ill because of his insufferable attitude toward his old man.

Point Blank

It has been some time since I'd seen this, and it disappointed me in comparison to the eager anticipation I'd had prior to watching it. At least until about midway through. The artsy-fartsy '60's qualities that permeate it were a turnoff rather than added attraction. Rather than creative visuals and music, I'd have prefered to watch Marvin pistol whipping a few more dudes. I recalled liking the movie without recalling any specifics until reminded 'I want my money'. Didn't Mel Gibson have a flick awhile back where he was similarly overly intent on getting his as well? That started me thinking of who'd come out on top in a Gibson-Marvin matchup before I started giggling at the silliness of the question. I've always considered Lee Marvin as one of Hollywood's great hard men, and upon the two of them going toe to toe I'd mostly anticipate Mel Gibson begging Marvin to whip him and otherwise hurt him bad, pretty please.

Quote Originally Posted by Leftcoaster View Post
    Didn't Mel Gibson have a flick awhile back where he was similarly overly intent on getting his as well?
    That would have been Payback. I'm not a Gibson fan (completely apart from his apparently appalling personality, I don't particularly enjoy his work), and I'm not generally a fan of violent films, but I have to admit that I really enjoyed Payback. It had more a more interesting, slightly stylized atmosphere than most tales of vengeance.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher
    They did that with Gridiron Gang too. Very effective and touching.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

The Bourne Ultimatum: I actually really like it. I thought it was very solid and well written. I thought it was better than the second and right up there with the first. They definitely wrote a great series of movies. I highly recommend!

Rocky Balboa:Not really what I expected. It wasn't that great, but it wasn't that bad either. It was just... alright. I don't know if i'd recommend it, but it's probably worth a watch if you're a Rocky fan.

The Simpsons' Movie: I'll be honest, I was disappointed. It wasn't that great. Something was missing, but it was okay to watch for a Friday night with nothing on tv and nowhere else to go. That's for sure.

The Covenent - sucked. Full of plot holes and loopy logic.

The Astronaut Farmer - liked it. Better than I thought it would be. Except for the very end when Farmer lost contact with ground control and then when he landed it seemed as if they only folks who knew he was up in space were his family, that totally didn't make sense.

The Curse of the Goldern Flower - Beautifull visuals. Beautiful set. Beautifu costumes. Funny thing though, I had set the language to English and the dialog did not match the subtitles. Very disconcerting. Ackk to the ending. But in all the ending was much better than what happen in Crouching Tiger and House of Flying Daggers.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I've watched 2 very interesting documentaries in the past couple of days.

Grey Gardens - an eccentric mother and daughter living in a decrepit East Hampton mansion. The women are the aunt and cousin of Jackie Kennedy Onassis, and both are deliciously eccentric. This doc is from the 70's and it holds up really well. I really liked these women by the end of the movie.

Enron - The Smartest Guys in the Room Corporate America at it's most greedy. It just amazes me that a corp. could be losing money for 10 years and no one on Wall Street noticed or cared. Their stock just kept going up and up with no figures to back it up. And I had no idea that were directly responsible for the California rolling blackouts. They would shut down power plants for no reason and export energy to other states to create false power shortages. And while the top execs were selling off their stock because they knew the bottom was falling out soon, they were telling all their employees to invest their 401k money in Enron stock. That's just cold.

+ Reply to Thread