+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

I watched Zodiac last night. Now, I loved it, but I can also sit through a two-hour "48 Hours Mystery" and countless episodes of "American Justice". If stuff like that bores you, then chances are this movie will too. My husband nodded off several times and I had to elbow him awake.

I have not read Robert Graysmith's books on the Zodiac killer, but the movie piqued my interest enough to put library holds on them.

Jake Gyllenhaal was surprisingly effective as Graysmith - the only other time he's made an impression on me was in Brokeback Mountain. And Robert Downey Jr. does his usual wonderful job - he's at his best as a slightly effeminate, substance-abusing, cynical crime reporter (Paul Avery, who actually wrote the newspaper articles on the Zodiac killer). The movie does lose a bit of its flavour when Downey departs from the main action, though.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;2546586;
    Now, I loved it, but I can also sit through a two-hour "48 Hours Mystery" and countless episodes of "American Justice". If stuff like that bores you, then chances are this movie will too. My husband nodded off several times and I had to elbow him awake.
    AJane, say no more, sister! I'm not in need of any other encouragement to see Zodiak, then, because I love 48 Hrs. Mystery and American Justice, too. Toss in the real Cold Case Files on A&E (not the drama shows) and I'm in heaven. In my house we refer to Bill Kurtis as my father-figure - I love that man. Mr. Rose jokes I could probably kill him and dispose of the body without anyone finding him. If I knew then what I know now, I would have gone into forensics or detective work when I was in school.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Fracture: I loved it. It was psychological, it was intense, it had Ryan Gosling. It was a thoroughly great movie. The time seemed to fly right by too. I highly recommend it. Anthony Hopkins is of course, also, great.

I saw that this weekend, too, CA. But I didn't think it was that great. It dragged for me, and I just didn't care for it at all.

I also saw "The Ex", which I think went straight to DVD. Get it if you can, starring Zach Braff, Amanda Peet, and Jason Bateman. Pretty funny, in an evil twisted way.

I actually just saw "Fracture" myself and quite liked it. I found it intense and interesting.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Just watched "The Number 23" on On Demand. OMG! What a demented movie. And now I find myself looking for the number 23 everywhere. Hope this doesn't turn me into some twisted obsessive compulsive freak.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

I just watched Wings of Desire, another Wim Wenders film. I'd seen it before, but it was on a tiny screen, so this was like "seeing it again for the first time." Truly a beautiful film, both aesthetically and in the story. The story concerns Damiel, an angel who roams the streets of Berlin (this was in 1987, so obviously before the wall had fallen) with his friend and fellow angel, Cassiel. Damiel begins to yearn to experience human life, and this yearning only grows when he finds and falls in love with a beautiful and melancholy trapeze artist. I don't want to give too much else away, but the poet Homer and Peter Falk are also involved.

It's very slow-moving, and the narrative is not always at the forefront as Damiel and Cassiel observe various residents of the city and listen to their thoughts, but I really think it's a wonderful film and recommend it very highly.

I know there's an American remake with Nicolas Cage as the Damiel character. I don't even want to imagine.

The Nic Cage remake is City Of Angels, and co-stars Meg Ryan as the love interest, and is actually pretty good. I didn't know it was a remake, but as I was reading your description of that movie, I was like "that's almost exactly the plot line of CoA!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mantenna;2551545;

I know there's an American remake with Nicolas Cage as the Damiel character. I don't even want to imagine.
    I know! What is it with Nicolas Cage and horrible remakes of great European films?

You might want to check out another Wim Wenders movie, Until the End of the World. I haven't seen it, but I have the soundtrack, and it's amazing, especially Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds' contribution, "(I'll Love You) Till the End of the World". So I guess what I'm saying is, get the soundtrack. (The movie is probably great, too.)

Speaking of Wim Wenders and Nick Cave: I trust you didn't miss the cameo in Wings of Desire?
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by John
    The Nic Cage remake is City Of Angels, and co-stars Meg Ryan as the love interest, and is actually pretty good.
    It's not that bad? Really? That's good to know--even though he's been in a couple movies I really love, these days you see Nic Cage's name and things instantly lose some credibility, e.g. in The Wicker Man "Bees! Ahhh! No! Not the bees! Ahhh!"

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;2551581;
    You might want to check out another Wim Wenders movie, Until the End of the World. I haven't seen it, but I have the soundtrack, and it's amazing, especially Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds' contribution, "(I'll Love You) Till the End of the World". So I guess what I'm saying is, get the soundtrack. (The movie is probably great, too.)
    Ah, Geek my friend, I am familiar with the incredible soundtrack, which is just chock-full of my (and yours, I expect) favorite artists! I desperately want to see the film, but it's a little difficult to find. I'm hoping the 8-hour director's cut turns up someday.

Speaking of Wim Wenders and Nick Cave: I trust you didn't miss the cameo in Wings of Desire?
    Nope, that would have been tough to miss. I enjoyed seeing Mick Harvey and Rowland S. Howard in Crime and the City Solution, too.

+ Reply to Thread