+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

MRD

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

We rented The Astronaut Farmer (loved it) and Ghost Rider (what a stupid movie). I don't think Ghost rider was intended to be a comedy, but we laughed during the whole thing. The ONLY reason I kept watching was because I LOVE Sam Elliot. I could listen to that man read the phone book.

The Astronaut Farmer was one of those feel good movies. Overcoming obstacles, realizing dreams. I just thoght it was a great movie and I wouldn't mind owning it. And I think I have finally, finally become a fan of Billy Bob Thornton because of it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Just watched The Hills Have Eyes 2 on On Demand. I liked it. I love scary movies. Of course the best scene was when "Napoleon" and that girl saw the guy in the port-a-potty. The girl says "Who is that guy?" Napoleon says "S***man the Barbarian. I have no idea!" I laughed so hard that I had to rewind it and watch it again because I missed the next line.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

Requiem for a Dream

Wow. Just wow. What a movie. Ellen Burstyn was amazing.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

TMNT: I have to be honest, I was disappointed it wasn't live action. I sure miss those guys! That being said, it was an okay movie. Not too long and kept the story very simple.

Man of the Year: I just, hmm, I can't put my finger on it, but I didn't like it. It was boring! Maybe I was just tired, but I found myself flipping to other channels during some parts.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

i finally rented dreamgirls from netflix. i was completely bored for the first half hour or so and was wondering what the heck all the hype was about. i should probably say i can't stand eddie murphy so the first part of the film focusing so much on him probably had something to do with me not liking that part.

but then the movie started to get better, and i found myself near tears at the final scene. jennifer hudston certainly deserved the oscar she got for this role ... wow! i think if it wasn't for her performance, though, i probably wouldn't have liked it much at all.

Just saw Rashomon tonight, expecting great things because it's supposed to be one of the greatest foreign language films of all time. Maybe I'm missing something. I hated it. Absolutely hated it. I kept thinking it was like a Spongebob cartoon where they keep running and running and you just want them to get there already! It was so, so, so, so bad. The fight scenes were ridiculous. The laughing by the bandit and the woman were absurd. There were so many unanswered details. The amulet case? Never addressed. The samurai hat? Never addressed. The baby at the end? Stupid. This was one of the worst movies I've ever seen and I ended up feeling like a movie amateur because I didn't understand the hype. UGH!!

But, I saw The Departed last week and I really, really liked it not expecting to. That kind of makes up for it. I'm just afraid that all these great Kurasawai (sp?) films are all crap.

ETA: Rashomon really has me reeling right now. I can't believe my disappointment. In the beginning I should've known. The woodcutter and the priest were talking like something astronomically evil happened and they were dumbfounded. But the "evil" thing wasn't so bad and not at all mysterious. UGH!!!! IF the message is that men (humanity) lie, then so freakin' what? Major breakthough there, doofus.
    Last edited by burntbrat; 08-26-2007 at 12:40 AM.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

I last rented and watched two classics:

Paris, Texas is really beautiful and slow-moving, like other Wim Wenders films, and is unusual because not a lot seems to happen for most of the movie. Then, the ending sort of hits you like a freight train, you go "whoa!" and you're pondering everything in retrospect for the rest of the evening. The story concerns Travis (Harry Dean Stanton, in a typically excellent performance), a man who disappeared, leaving his wife and young son, and spent the next four years wandering through the desert. He collapses in a small town, his brother finds out and heads down to bring him back to his home in Los Angeles, and then we join Travis in reassembling his memories and reconnecting with his past.

Then, there's Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho. I think I was the last person in the world who hadn't seen it, so I don't feel I need to describe it very much. I thought it was awesome, though.

"No! I will not hide in the fruit cellar! Ha! You think I'm fruity, huh?"

I'm just afraid that all these great Kurasawai (sp?) films are all crap.
    Don't worry, burntbrat. I haven't seen Rashomon, so I certainly can't speak on its behalf, but if you feel like giving Kurosawa another try, check out Seven Samurai.
    Last edited by Mantenna; 08-26-2007 at 01:52 AM.

Have seen 3 really great movies this weekend. Each one had a great story and great actors. I recommend them all.

The Prestige
    Apocalypto
    Zodiac
    (note: make sure you have time to sit and watch this with no distractions. It's very long and very intense and you really have to pay attention or you will miss something. I wouldn't have wanted to see this in the theater because there were several times I paused or backed up to see or read something again)
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantenna;2546067;
    I last rented and watched two classics:

Paris, Texas is really beautiful and slow-moving, like other Wim Wenders films, and is unusual because not a lot seems to happen for most of the movie. Then, the ending sort of hits you like a freight train, you go "whoa!" and you're pondering everything in retrospect for the rest of the evening.

Then, there's Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho. I think I was the last person in the world who hadn't seen it, so I don't feel I need to describe it very much. I thought it was awesome, though.

"No! I will not hide in the fruit cellar! Ha! You think I'm fruity, huh?"
    Manny, thanks for the nod about Paris, Texas - it looks like something I'd enjoy.

About Psycho, it came out around 1960, and I didn't see it until 1972 at a college movie night (about 500 of us crammed in a lecture hall on a Friday night), and I remember at the time thinking I was the last person on earth to see it for the first time. I loved it, and seeing it amongst a bunch of kids screaming and giggling at the same time was a hoot. Kind of like when I saw Rocky Horror Picture Show.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MiaT2;2546424;
    Zodiac (note: make sure you have time to sit and watch this with no distractions. It's very long and very intense and you really have to pay attention or you will miss something. I wouldn't have wanted to see this in the theater because there were several times I paused or backed up to see or read something again)

i love psychological thrillers ... would you recommend it?

+ Reply to Thread