+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

The Last Mimzy: Cute, family movie. Highly improbable, extremely far fetched, but cute. It's a good family film aimed at catching the older children's attention. I'd recommend it.

Premonition: Yeah, not Sandra's finest. But (in my opinion) better than the Lake House. The disjointed timeline was even easy to follow. The only thing I outright hated was the ending.

Black Snake Moan: The beginning was good, it had such great potential, but then as it progressed that potential just kept slipping farther and farther away. If there's nothing else on or to do (like me, tonight), then I'd say watch it. Otherwise, wait till it comes to a movie channel near you.

Because I Said So: I actually liked this. I thought it was cute and had just the right amount of fluff in it. It worked for me!

The Departed: Very good movie. I can't believe that, while it was quite long, it seemed to go by so quickly. I never knew that Matt could play such a hated man!

Hot Fuzz: So silly and hillarious. Loved Shaun of the Dead, so I figured I'd love this and boy did I ever. Highly recommend it.

John Tucker Must Die: Uhh, errr, I loved the music in it? Which I think is a sign it wasn't a good movie when the best thing about it had nothing to do with the actual movie.

300: Normally, not my type of movie, but I actually enjoyed it. Would have loved to see the fight scenes in the theatre, that would have made it something special, but overall, highly recommend it.

Porco Rosso - had it at the house for a very long time and kept putting off watching it. It was much better than I though it would be.

Whispers of the Heart - quiet but intense.

Pom Poku - fun, wish I had racoons like that in the nieghborhood.

Princess Mononoke - wow I would have loved to live in that mystical era in Japan. Very much an environmental vs nature underlying issue in this film as well as Pom Poku.

My Neighbor Totoro - very quiet portraits of family life in the country. Loved the Cat Bus and wished I had a Totoro in my back yard.

These are all Hayao Miyazaki films. He is highly regarded in Japan and is considered a living treasure. He does animated films. The animation is beautiful but sometimes in Japanese animation I just don't get the story but these are quiet good. Last year TCM had a month long film festival where it showed cased Miyazaki's films and I taped them all and finally managed to watch them. These are not loud action films but quiet slices of life some very intense, many leave you wondering what happened to the characters.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;2505965;
    300: Normally, not my type of movie, but I actually enjoyed it. Would have loved to see the fight scenes in the theatre, that would have made it something special, but overall, highly recommend it.
    I saw this in the theaters and it convinced me to make sure I bought it the second it came out. The fight scenes were almost like watching ballet and 300 washboard abs 10 feet long weren't too bad either

Quote Originally Posted by kimrs;2506651;
    I saw this in the theaters and it convinced me to make sure I bought it the second it came out. The fight scenes were almost like watching ballet and 300 washboard abs 10 feet long weren't too bad either
    They were so well choreographed that's for sure. It didn't hurt that they were all easy on the eyes either.

Thr3e: A who is the killer type movie. With "riddles" that need to be solved, but that isn't the focus. I thought it'd be a terrible movie, but actually I liked it. I had some notion of who the killer was, but there was a twist at the end I didn't see coming so that got me!

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar

Bridge to Terabithia: It was amazing! I cried like a baby throughout. An awesome story. I will have to rent the original movie adaptation and get my hands on a copy of the book. It's definitely worth it.
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

Quote Originally Posted by ixcrisxi;2510648;
    Bridge to Terabithia: It was amazing! I cried like a baby throughout. An awesome story. I will have to rent the original movie adaptation and get my hands on a copy of the book. It's definitely worth it.
    I read the book when I was 8 or 9. I remember it being the first book to really make me cry when I read it. You will love it

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kimrs;2510873;
    I read the book when I was 8 or 9. I remember it being the first book to really make me cry when I read it. You will love it
    If it's that good, I will definitely make the trip to Borders to pick it up. I'll let you know what I think after I've read it.
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

FORT Regular

Notes on a Scandal...it was definitely not what I expected. I went into the movie not knowing much but still formed my own opinion of what it would be like and I was way off.

My 8-year-old is a chick flick fan in the making, because she has watched Bridge to Terabithia countless times and sobs at the ending every single time.

Breach was unexpectedly good - both Ryan Phillippe and Chris Cooper turned in excellent performances, and there were some great tense moments.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread